The Student Room Group

Which medical schools enter clearing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FergieD
Hmm, I didn't know you could apply with 3rd year re-sits, thats news to me! interesting though.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
Original post by joker12345
I'm by no means saying it works - places are rare and very few. In one of the years I applied (long story short, I had an offer, missed my grades so was calling) there were a couple of places at Kings, something I actually found out about on TSR and then called (though I was calling every single med school anyway.) They confirmed to me they did indeed have places and were screening applicants but obviously only those who had achieved AAA. But yes, you have nothing better to do on results day so may as well give it a go!

I thought I might try the same thing and call up every medical school onn results day because why not?! :P Anyway just wondering, when you phoned up, did you call the medical admissions departments or the clearing hotlines? Most places I've been looking say to phone clearing, but I was thinking medicine might be different as it isn't technically clearing...
Original post by jonesofmirkwood
I thought I might try the same thing and call up every medical school onn results day because why not?! :P Anyway just wondering, when you phoned up, did you call the medical admissions departments or the clearing hotlines? Most places I've been looking say to phone clearing, but I was thinking medicine might be different as it isn't technically clearing...

Yeah, call medical admissions
Reply 43
Original post by NancyRoseC
Yea, medical schools don't go through clearing, but what you can do is call the day you get your results and ask if there are any spaces. 2 girls in the year above went to plymouth by doing this, despite both getting B's in chem. Just wait for your results and take a gap year? or look for a course in clearing that has an entry into medicine

From my experience, some medical schools do, just call the med school direct on the day.
lol when you guys calling? as soon as possible

Original post by nulli tertius
Unfortunately some of us can remember a time before Werthers Originals were available in the UK.

Here have a spangle!

Only if it's one of the purple ones. Spouse's exhibition to Oxford was unconditional. Surprised he bothered to turn up for the A level exams. My dentist got into dentistry with EE. However, this is 2014 we are living in, and it ain't gonna happen no more.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
However, this is 2014 we are living in, and it ain't gonna happen no more.

Perfectly true, but you do realise that the late Education Secretary was a great admirer of British WWI generals and in their honour, he is going to do to A level results hopefuls next week what Field Marshal Haig did to the Accrington Pals. This will be the worst exam results season for a generation.
Original post by nulli tertius
Perfectly true, but you do realise that the late Education Secretary was a great admirer of British WWI generals and in their honour, he is going to do to A level results hopefuls next week what Field Marshal Haig did to the Accrington Pals. This will be the worst exam results season for a generation.

I only wish you were kidding. Having been taught The Accrington Pals (the play) for some years now, my students will be well placed to observe and appreciate the irony.
Reply 48
John Clare. Particularly 'I am'. Hauntingly beautiful.
Original post by solarplexus
lol when you guys calling? as soon as possible

I was thinking to call as soon as I have my results, if in the rather unlikely case they are actually good enough :/ I don't know whether there is any point in ringing before then because more places may appear if people firm/reject choices which can't happen till the day, but then also I suppose it depends on when the medical schools get our results?
I was thinking to call as soon as I have my results, if in the rather unlikely case they are actually good enough :/ I don't know whether there is any point in ringing before then because more places may appear if people firm/reject choices which can't happen till the day, but then also I suppose it depends on when the medical schools get our results?

Universities get results on Monday. Places are decided long before you find out your results... If there are any places left after the Firms etc have been allocated, they go first to the waiting list (if they have a formal one), then to people who have been interviewed. If you've never had any contact with that uni before, it is incredibly unlikely that they will consider you at this stage. There were a few interviews held post-Results last year, but this is vanishingly rare.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Universities get results on Monday. Places are decided long before you find out your results... If there are any places left after the Firms etc have been allocated, they go first to the waiting list (if they have a formal one), then to people who have been interviewed. If you've never had any contact with that uni before, it is incredibly unlikely that they will consider you at this stage. There were a few interviews held post-Results last year, but this is vanishingly rare.

Do you know at which unis?
Original post by brbwafflesyay
Do you know at which unis?

I could potentially find out which ones did so last year, but given that the people who applied to them this year are different to those who applied last year, it really isn't going to help you work out who will end up with spare places this year...
Reply 53
Original post by Pectorac
Do you have any evidence for this? It's very convenient you would happen to have a 'friend' (who could be fibbing for all you know), to match the situation.

4 years ago does not match today's standards. It will not happen today. Some medical schools that asked for AAB now ask for a minimum of AAA. Times have changed.

not true, my sisters friend didn't get an interview. She then went to get AAA and rang a university and they offered her an interview that very same day! She got the place
Original post by Becca-Sarah

Do you know if birmingham has a waiting list? If not, is it free for all (i got an interview there at like early september)
Reply 55
Original post by simran1996
Hi

Does anyone have a list of medical schools which went into clearing last year? It would be appreciated, thank you :smile:

Medicine is an extremely competitive course to get onto, so they do not participate in clearing for the context...
Original post by Kasa
Medicine is an extremely competitive course to get onto, so they do not participate in clearing for the context...

even with straight A*s in both GCSE and A2?
Reply 57
even with straight A*s in both GCSE and A2?

It's more about the grades..
Original post by Kasa
It's more about the grades..

What do you mean exactly lol (don't understand ur reply?)
What do you mean exactly lol (don't understand ur reply?)

Even i was confused :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending