The Student Room Group

Which medical schools enter clearing?

Hi

Does anyone have a list of medical schools which went into clearing last year? It would be appreciated, thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simran1996
Hi

Does anyone have a list of medical schools which went into clearing last year? It would be appreciated, thank you :smile:

None - nor do they ever enter clearing except in exceptional circumstances (and even then, most years this does not happen - although I have heard a few people phoned on the day - but they usually give the places to people already interviewed i.e. their reserve list).
It doesn't happen. If you didn't get the grades, tough. Even if it did (in a magical world), they all ask for pretty much the same grades so clearing would not be viable. No medical school is going to let someone in with less than AAA.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
As far as I'm aware it just doesn't happen - I think the vast majority of medical schools just work down the list of people they interviewed offering places to they're full (If they weren't already)
Original post by Pectorac
It doesn't happen. If you didn't get the grades, tough. Even if it did, they all ask for pretty much the same grades so clearing would not be viable. No medical school is going to let someone in with less than AAA.

This is simply not true. Some Medical schools still take you even if you don't meet the offer. A very close friend of mine missed a few UMS off an A in biology A-level and after a phone call to the university they still accepted her. I know it may be rare but it does happen.

bear in mind this was 4 years ago when we were applying though :P
Original post by Marky Mark
This is simply not true. Some Medical schools still take you even if you don't meet the offer. A very close friend of mine missed a few UMS off an A in biology A-level and after a phone call to the university they still accepted her. I know it may be rare but it does happen.

Do you have any evidence for this? It's very convenient you would happen to have a 'friend' (who could be fibbing for all you know), to match the situation.

4 years ago does not match today's standards. It will not happen today. Some medical schools that asked for AAB now ask for a minimum of AAA. Times have changed.
Theyd rather burn their uni library than enter clearing
Reply 7
Do you have any evidence for this? It's very convenient you would happen to have a 'friend' (who could be fibbing for all you know), to match the situation.

4 years ago does not match today's standards. It will not happen today. Some medical schools that asked for AAB now ask for a minimum of AAA. Times have changed.

You can get in with AAB - manchester accepted a few AAB's just last year (feel free to speak to there admissions department if you like, there very open about it :rolleyes:)

Clearing tho - not gona happen, agree with you there haha :P

There's no way he's lying to me because I've been down to london and he's given me a visit. I'm also a medical student btw (midland's uni) and we talk and I can't see how he could be lying to me. :lol:

I remember that my own acceptance letter said that if you don't meet the requirements you may be still offered a place but the university is not obliged.

Again not saying it happens all the time but it CAN happen.

It does happen sometimes. I know people who got let in anyway after missing their offer.
Reply 10
Oh dear :frown:

I have no offers at all :frown: is my only option to retake the year?

Wait until you get your results - if you get AAA take a gap year and reapply.
Reply 12

Erm, medical schools don't usually accept A-levels unless you did them in 2-years.

If you get AAA the year tho you can take a gap-year and re-apply ^_^
Yea, medical schools don't go through clearing, but what you can do is call the day you get your results and ask if there are any spaces. 2 girls in the year above went to plymouth by doing this, despite both getting B's in chem. Just wait for your results and take a gap year? or look for a course in clearing that has an entry into medicine
If they have spaces they will likely find another way for the good of the uni as a whole. If they put any Med places on clearing it would flood the phonelines and significantly limit the numbers getting through for other courses, which isn't good when you're in a race for the best students on results day.
Reply 16
Thank you all for the responses! :smile:

I'll wait on my results and then take it from there.
Reply 17
Original post by Marky Mark

bear in mind this was 4 years ago when we were applying though :P

But that isn't the same as being in clearing. They do sometimes take people from a waiting list of applicants who have already been interviewed, or who miss their offer in exceptional circumstances - but not random applicants through clearing.
Reply 18

If you get less than AAA you need to study the resit policy in the medicine wiki to see if you qualify for consideration after resits - you have to meet quite strict criteria.

If you get AAA or better, take a gap year an re-apply.
Original post by HCubed
But that isn't the same as being in clearing. They do sometimes take people from a waiting list of applicants who have already been interviewed, or who miss their offer in exceptional circumstances - but not random applicants through clearing.

I didn't say it was through clearing. The person I was responding to said that if you don't get the grades for your conditional offer it's 100% no. More like 99% :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending