The Student Room Group

Biased medical schools?

I know it sounds ridiculous...but I literally had the best qualifications last admissions cycle and was rejected pre-interview. (I also go a private school- nothing fancy though).

I was rejected from all four medical schools; one was Cambridge, post-interview.

I completely accept this rejection, as I believe for Cambridge you're either good enough or not.

However, I was also rejected from Sheffield pre-interview, on the basis of my PS, which I had spent a lot of time on. This is obviously the only subjective part of the application, and to reject a medical applicant on the basis of it seems just a bit dubious.

Also, I was rejected from Nottingham. The feedback post-interview was very vague, just saying essentially I wasn't good enough at interview.

I've heard a lot of feedback about Notts, saying that they are biased against private schools. I also found this to be the case in my instance.

I was the only one from my yr who got an interview at Notts, and there were a few other outstanding applicants for Notts albeit with slightly lower UKCAT scores.

I accept my other rejection, Imperial, as I think my interview performance was very bad in hindsight, although I guess the questions asked were slightly unfair.

Obviously, there's going to be a lot more scrutiny and bias against private-schools, but the main point of this thread is to pick out the medical schools which, from your experience hate private schools.

Thank you
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You only have one shot
If your lucky enough to be called to a interview and still miss out you cant blame a bias
Literally eh? I'm skeptical but I'll take your word for it regardless. It's difficult to truly say why you've been rejected from your four choices. Maybe your PS was a PoS? You can spend a lot of time polishing a piece of **** and it'll still be a piece of ****. Maybe your references weren't good? Who knows. However, I suggest you don't wallow in bitterness as you so clearly are at the moment. Nottingham rejected me too way back in the day and I have to admit, it stung. Seeing as how I went to a state school, I assume it's because Nottingham had a bias against state schools.

So if Nottingham has a bias against state schools because they rejected me and a few of my state schooled mates, and against private schools because they rejected you and your privately educated cronies, then who forms the majority of Nottingham's intake?

Personally, I don't think there is a bias against, or in favor of any particular form of schooling. The most I can think of that may be true in this regard is those from private schools or grammar schools receiving higher offers than their state school counterparts.

I think you need to clear your head and stop trying to justify these rejections. Just focus on getting in next year.
Original post by Hippysnake
Literally eh? I'm skeptical but I'll take your word for it regardless. It's difficult to truly say why you've been rejected from your four choices. Maybe your PS was a PoS? You can spend a lot of time polishing a piece of **** and it'll still be a piece of ****. Maybe your references weren't good? Who knows. However, I suggest you don't wallow in bitterness as you so clearly are at the moment. Nottingham rejected me too way back in the day and I have to admit, it stung. Seeing as how I went to a state school, I assume it's because Nottingham had a bias against state schools.

So if Nottingham has a bias against state schools because they rejected me and a few of my state schooled mates, and against private schools because they rejected you and your privately educated cronies, then who forms the majority of Nottingham's intake?

Personally, I don't think there is a bias against, or in favor of any particular form of schooling. The most I can think of that may be true in this regard is those from private schools or grammar schools receiving higher offers than their state school counterparts.

I think you need to clear your head and stop trying to justify these rejections. Just focus on getting in next year.

Academic qualifications are objective, so why are you skeptical? Objectively, at the risk of sounding arrogant, yes academically, I was perfect.

And no, if you read what I said about Notts., I am not suggesting that they are biased because they rejected some of my 'cronies'; I am suggesting they are biased because they rejected all of my also academically commendable cronies.

Isn't that dubious? And no, I highly doubt that sending a PS off to lots of people results in 'writing a piece of ****'.

If you think I am bitter that I have not received any offers, then you clearly have not read the whole thread.

The whole point of this thread is not to complain, but to find out which unis aren't worth applying to from your experience

Thank you for your reply. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Sidenote: your sarcastic suggestion that Notts is biased against state schools is thouroughly flawed.
How do you know your qualifications and interview weren't a lot worse than mine? Please, don't be pissed off. I am not wallowing in bitterness.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hanz_a93
I thought medical schools liked private schoolers :s-smilie: more than half the people
in my yr are from private schools :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which medical school are you at?
Original post by locomotive99
Academic qualifications are objective, so why are you skeptical? Objectively, at the risk of sounding arrogant, yes academically, I was perfect.

And no, if you read what I said about Notts., I am not suggesting that they are biased because they rejected some of my 'cronies'; I am suggesting they are biased because they rejected all of my also academically commendable cronies.

Isn't that dubious? And no, I highly doubt that sending a PS off to lots of people results in 'writing a piece of ****'.

If you think I am bitter that I have not received any offers, then you clearly have not read the whole thread.

The whole point of this thread is not to complain, but to find out which unis aren't worth applying to from your experience

Thank you for your reply. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Sidenote: your sarcastic suggestion that Notts is biased against state schools is thouroughly flawed.
How do you know your qualifications and interview weren't a lot worse than mine? Please, don't be pissed off. I am not wallowing in bitterness.

I want you to take this as constructive criticism. I come across a lot of medical students - I am a senior nursing sister of many years experience. We get the rookies;the mid-termers and the newly qualified.

Firstly I hope your spelling was better on your personal statement. I despair about the atrocious spelling that the medical students - and indeed the juniors docs - employ.

Secondly - and remember this is constructive - you sound very arrogant. Universities can sniff out arrogance. A certain amount is expected, but you have it in bucket loads.

If you still want to study medicine, you need to change tack.

Completely rip up your PS. Considering enrolling on a course such as MEDLINE -they will help you with your application; get some more experience; do some charity work. Talk with some 1st year medical students - it will still be fresh in their minds; get interview practice.

Having followed several relatives trying. failing and succeeding to get into medicine, I can appreciate that it is a bit hit and miss at times.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I want you to take this as constructive criticism. I come across a lot of medical students - I am a senior nursing sister of many years experience. We get the rookies;the mid-termers and the newly qualified.

Firstly I hope your spelling was better on your personal statement. I despair about the atrocious spelling that the medical students - and indeed the juniors docs - employ.

Secondly - and remember this is constructive - you sound very arrogant. Universities can sniff out arrogance. A certain amount is expected, but you have it in bucket loads.

If you still want to study medicine, you need to change tack.

Completely rip up your PS. Considering enrolling on a course such as MEDLINE -they will help you with your application; get some more experience; do some charity work. Talk with some 1st year medical students - it will still be fresh in their minds; get interview practice.

Having followed several relatives trying. failing and succeeding to get into medicine, I can appreciate that it is a bit hit and miss at times.

I really do apologise about the arrogance I seem to emanate; I hope you appreciate it is very hard to talk about my experience without sounding arrogant online.

It is very difficult to explain that I literally had everything in my favour, yet lost it all without sounding arrogant? I guess the fact I go to a private school doesn't help either...

Please could you also point out the spelling errors I made? I am not being sarcastic; I genuinely want to know which words I thought I spelled correctly but apparently didn't.

Thank you for your constructive criticism; I truly am grateful.

However, I have already changed a lot of my PS. I think my last PS was very academic, but I have changed a lot of it.

I have done a lot of charity work and gotten a lot of interview practice.

However the mock interviews were nothing like what I got in Imperial.

But I guess all I can do is to practise my interview skills.

Once again, I thank you for your feedback and apologise if I sounded arrogant.
I really do apologise about the arrogance I seem to emanate; I hope you appreciate it is very hard to talk about my experience without sounding arrogant online.

It is very difficult to explain that I literally had everything in my favour, yet lost it all without sounding arrogant? I guess the fact I go to a private school doesn't help either...

Please could you also point out the spelling errors I made? I am not being sarcastic; I genuinely want to know which words I thought I spelled correctly but apparently didn't.

Thank you for your constructive criticism; I truly am grateful.

However, I have already changed a lot of my PS. I think my last PS was very academic, but I have changed a lot of it.

I have done a lot of charity work and gotten a lot of interview practice.

However the mock interviews were nothing like what I got in Imperial.

But I guess all I can do is to practise my interview skills.

Once again, I thank you for your feedback and apologise if I sounded arrogant.

Now you are just sounding obsequious!!

No I won't point out your spelling errors. There is no shortage of spelling checkers available. Make sure they are ENGLISH ones. There was a thread here recently about how private school pupils are spoon fed - I am not going to add to that.

Look I feel for you - when you want something so badly it hurts when you don't get it. My daughter had an interview at Oxford and ended up arguing with the professor so didn't get the place. ( Bias against state school pupils!)

A quick trawl round the internet ( when I should be going to work ) reveals this

http://www.getintomedicalschool.org/courses.php/Medical-Interview-course-4/

and this

http://medipathways.com/getting-rejected-from-medical-school/

Although I would reapply this year with a fresh mind and new attitude.
I also felt like you my friend.

Stats:
9A* 1A GCSE + A* EPQ 2 years early + A in FSMQ
5As at AS
A*A*A prediction at A2
Ukcat 725
PS was full of ECs and achievements and work experience.
Got 2 interviews 2 rejections.

I also go to one of the country's top 20 leading private schools...

jealousy much? or because I am oriental? or because both my parents are doctors?

I did mock interviews with doctors and even admissions ppl they said I was strong.

Only thing was at Barts I talked a bit erratically and was sweating, so I am taking a gap year and applying to 4 UK medical schools, Ireland and the US.

UCAS is so ****, the university application system should be like in the US where people can apply to as many universities as they want provided they pay. UK universities would make millions.
Reply 9
Original post by solarplexus
I also felt like you my friend.

Stats:
9A* 1A GCSE + A* EPQ 2 years early + A in FSMQ
5As at AS
A*A*A prediction at A2
Ukcat 725
PS was full of ECs and achievements and work experience.
Got 2 interviews 2 rejections.

I also go to one of the country's top 20 leading private schools...

jealousy much? or because I am oriental? or because both my parents are doctors?

I did mock interviews with doctors and even admissions ppl they said I was strong.

Only thing was at Barts I talked a bit erratically and was sweating, so I am taking a gap year and applying to 4 UK medical schools, Ireland and the US.

UCAS is so ****, the university application system should be like in the US where people can apply to as many universities as they want provided they pay. UK universities would make millions.

Are you applying to the US for university? You can't apply to medical school in the US from school.
I know it sounds ridiculous...but I literally had the best qualifications last admissions cycle and was rejected pre-interview. (I also go a private school- nothing fancy though).

I was rejected from all four medical schools; one was Cambridge, post-interview.

I completely accept this rejection, as I believe for Cambridge you're either good enough or not.

However, I was also rejected from Sheffield pre-interview, on the basis of my PS, which I had spent a lot of time on. This is obviously the only subjective part of the application, and to reject a medical applicant on the basis of it seems just a bit dubious.

Also, I was rejected from Nottingham. The feedback post-interview was very vague, just saying essentially I wasn't good enough at interview.

I've heard a lot of feedback about Notts, saying that they are biased against private schools. I also found this to be the case in my instance.

I was the only one from my yr who got an interview at Notts, and there were a few other outstanding applicants for Notts albeit with slightly lower UKCAT scores.

I accept my other rejection, Imperial, as I think my interview performance was very bad in hindsight, although I guess the questions asked were slightly unfair.

Obviously, there's going to be a lot more scrutiny and bias against private-schools, but the main point of this thread is to pick out the medical schools which, from your experience hate private schools.

Thank you

Funny you say 'bias against private school kids' when such a disproportionate amount of medics are from private school backgrounds. They didn't deem you good enough, move on. Stop looking for excuses and see where you messed up. Peace

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes she can, there are like 2 unis i think that allow this, dukes and some other in new york, one of my friends did this and she has offers from both now (sadly she had to decline due to illness)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously... where do you get your information from http://dukemed.duke.edu/modules/ooa_applicant/index.php?id=21

Duke clearly requires a number of pre-requisite university level courses. Even Duke-NUS requires an undergrad degree
https://www.duke-nus.edu.sg/admissions/requirements-duke-nus-programs

Now I don't know which NY school you are talking about but I can assure that no matter what it is, it requires an undergrad. Your "friend" clearly fooled you, I don't even think they got in at all.

Thank you

3 interviews and 3 rejections? It's pretty obvious to me you're not coming across well in person at interview.

If 3 different medical schools (all of whom take in A LOT of private students) spoke to you and didn't think you were suitable, it takes a spectacular level of arrogance to decide it must be discrimination and nothing to do with your own failings.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13

Thank you

what are ur stats?
Reply 14
You sound ridiculously arrogant.

You weren't good enough. Get over it. Move on. Build yourself back up better.

Did you not think that your level of arrogance may have been seen as a risk? If you can't take criticism, you could be putting patients at risk from poor care.

The world owes you nothing and the sooner you get that into your head, the better. Improve yourself and apply again. Maybe try getting some patient contact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The university has links (also funds) with a college that my friend can do her pre-med at and if she passes, she has to sit the mcat then she can start medicine at dukes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which university is this attached with? I can't seem to find any program that is linked with Duke Med. There isn't a pass mark associated with the MCAT. It is very likely that it is a score you need to get over if this program exists at all.

There are other BS/MD programs like this but most require you to score above a certain grade on the MCAT, a select few don't and these are generally very very competitive and rarely accept internationals.
Is it arrogant to say you're academically perfect? :s-smilie: If you have 10A*s at GCSE and straight A*s at A Levels or 45 in the IB or something, arguably there's nothing else you could have done. If that's true then it's not arrogant to say that academically there's nothing more doing.

Lots of people applying to medical school have great academic records. To some extent the rest of it IS personal statement, UKCAT, BMAT and pot luck. And obviously your interview performance combined with who interviews you.

If you missed out this year, it doesn't mean a bias necessarily. Almost everybody applying will have had excellent grades, so if they said it was your personal statement, then that probably was the case. It's quite easy to hit the wrong note in your personal statement. Each medical school is also after something different. They have to be, otherwise it would be impossible to narrow down. So you do sometimes get this puzzling scenario where your 'ultimate' uni gives you an interview and ones where you thought you'd stood more of a chance reject you. Such is the lottery, I'm afraid. Fix what you can fix, work on interview technique and have another go next year.
Original post by hoonosewot
3 interviews and 3 rejections? It's pretty obvious to me you're not coming across well in person at interview.

If 3 different medical schools (all of whom take in A LOT of private students) spoke to you and didn't think you were suitable, it takes a spectacular level of arrogance to decide it must be discrimination and nothing to do with your own failings.

This!

OP- you clearly do not interview well, this is why you were rejected. It has nothing to do with the medical schools being "biased".

Work on your interview technique and it should be fine next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Thank you

Sorry to hear - maybe you can post your personal statement on here? For constructive criticism which may help you understand from fresh eyes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by goldtippedarrows
Sorry to hear - maybe you can post your personal statement on here? For constructive criticism which may help you understand from fresh eyes.

Only in PS Help, I wouldn't t suggest the OP publishes his PS openly on the internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending