The Student Room Group

Anyone here actually committed to being an entrepreneur?

Just a general question whether anyone on here is as committed to being their own boss and running their own business as the people on here who are committed to uni and their future careers as a result from going to uni.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think I am. I can't honestly imagine working for a company for the rest of my life.
Reply 2
It's too large of a risk for someone out of uni with no real world experience to start investing what little money they have without linear income to pay for their everyday expenses. Sure, *some* do succeed, but I'd say this is rare. Businesses failing within their first year can be as high as 90%.

Personally I didn't start investing until I had a reliable source of income, sufficient capital, sizeable amount of credit available and having worked for several companies - observing their day to day operations, what works and what doesn't, speaking to executive members of the business and people who've been there done that.
tried it failed at it going back to uni
Off to Uni to study Business Management and Entreprenuership, but ihave many business ideas already, i just need to put pen to paper and draw up some business plans
Reply 5
Original post by ProppaNutty
Off to Uni to study Business Management and Entreprenuership, but ihave many business ideas already, i just need to put pen to paper and draw up some business plans

Dont waste your time with that course... business courses aren't worth the paper they're written on

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to but I think I will complete a degree first so I at least have something to fall back on :smile:
Original post by Ana81

Dont waste your time with that course... business courses aren't worth the paper they're written on

You think ??

Original post by MidnightDream

I want to but I think I will complete a degree first so I at least have something to fall back on :smile:

The main reason why i'm off to uni :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Ana81
business courses aren't worth the paper they're written on

Rubbish.
I always have plans to start businesses but it's such a risk and one I don't feel l can take just yet. One day I will start a brewery though, one day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduated from uni, ran a business since i was 16. Still running it now full time alongside a part time masters at warwick. My company does ok but i dont want to expand it too much as the extra hassle is too much.

I make the same as my grad peers. I invest my money elsewhere rather than back into the business.
Once I have completed my degree in Physics and PhD in Nanotechnology, I am planning to become an entrepreneur.
Reply 12
Original post by ProppaNutty
You think ??

The main reason why i'm off to uni :smile:

Like everyone who did my degree (business studies) non have jobs out of my whole course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Reue
Rubbish.

thats right the certificate is rubbish put it in the bin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Ana81
thats right the certificate is rubbish put it in the bin

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol ok
Original post by Ana81
Like everyone who did my degree (business studies) none have jobs out of my whole course.

Really ? what uni did you go to ? and how much effort did you put into finding a job ??
Been running various businesses the last 11 years though not full time, I always had another job while I experimented about with various businesses. Some has been successful while some less so and some has been total failures.

Now I have stopped working for others and concentrating on my own company.
Reply 17
Original post by Alfissti
Been running various businesses the last 11 years though not full time, I always had another job while I experimented about with various businesses. Some has been successful while some less so and some has been total failures.

Now I have stopped working for others and concentrating on my own company.

BS

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will be (hoping to) in the future... whether it is by joining a company as an FD or running my own accountancy firm or something.
Reply 19
I opened up a franchise with a company for cheap and its starting to slowly generate income of increasing amounts, nothing to boast over currently ill admit but still an additional source of income, whilst i carry on doing my linear income work.i.e. 9-5 job.

Quick Reply

Latest