The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Went to KC halls of residence today

The Title says it all...but I'd just like to state that the room i was shown was absolutely horrid! Like a prison cell and yes Denmark Hill is quite far from Central London...the train station itself is quite far down the hill for someone who doesn't like walking....I just don't think its for me so im going to reject my accomodation offer and commute until i find private accomodation perhaps....Do the people that don't live in Uni residence miss out on fresher's week..Can anyone clarify that for me please...cheers :biggrin:
Reply 1
i knew it. i knew kch would be a hole. i can't believe uni halls are this bad - we may as well be living in hostels. ugh.
i swear living there will cause me to be depressed.

i'd commute too but i live too far away.

you won't miss out on freshers week - i don't see why you would. getting home after a night out might be a problem though i dunno.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Yea it will cause me to be depressed thats why im not going there...but u never knw u might like it...other people think its fine :biggrin: well ppl that have stayed there...exactly im going to have problems after a night out! argh:mad:
Reply 3
jaz87
i knew it. i knew kch would be a hole. i can't believe uni halls are this bad - we may as well be living in hostels. ugh.
i swear living there will cause me to be depressed.

i'd commute too but i live too far away.

you won't miss out on freshers week - i don't see why you would. getting home after a night out might be a problem though i dunno.

if it's so bad, why don't you rent privately. it isn't too expensive, and it's not too late to find somewhere.
It's all about the social life, making great friends in your first year of university... And KCH has by far the best social life out of any of the other residences. But meh...
Reply 5
I think making a good first impression, getting involved in social activities and making friends in the first year is very important. Halls maybe more easy to make friends as you have to share more facilities. But yeah, each to their own, KCH would be my hell, lol, i would literally starve!
dazmanultra
It's all about the social life, making great friends in your first year of university... And KCH has by far the best social life out of any of the other residences. But meh...

Precisely - most of the buildings, particularly Daneshurst, at KCH facilitate more social networking than any other residences. I had a tiny room in my first year and brought in 3 uplighters from Argos to prevent getting even mild seasonal affective disorder. :biggrin: Now I make sure I get a room specific to my needs for the year.
I wish people would stop whining about KCH... you're gonna lower your standards as a student anyway, so you might as well start now. :wink: But seriously, KCH is a nice place social-wise - and it'll make you appreciate private accomodation all the more when you move in for 2nd year.
Reply 8
I haven't been to KCH but that's where I got placed. I'm actually quite looking forward to it, even though everyone seems to hate it...It'd be cool cos as the rooms are all terrible, most people will spend the time out of them, so that's prob y it has the best social life, lol. Anyway, bring a few posters and photos and stuff, and the whole room will look a lot brighter :smile: That's my plan, anyway...
woofz
Anyway, bring a few posters and photos and stuff, and the whole room will look a lot brighter :smile: That's my plan, anyway...

Posters and a plant or two, plus a rug and a nice duvet etc make a fantastic difference to any room. :smile:

When you arrive on the first day, ask nicely if it's possible to have a room in "Plats" (the Platanes)... these are the nicest. :smile:
woofz
I haven't been to KCH but that's where I got placed. I'm actually quite looking forward to it, even though even seems to hate it...It'd be cool cos as the rooms are all terrible, most people will spend the time out of them, so that's prob y it has the best social life, lol. Anyway, bring a few posters and photos and stuff, and the whole room will look a lot brighter :smile: That's my plan, anyway...

I love your attitude n feel exactly the same!:smile:
The rooms in Plats really are the best. I didn't like KCH, but I enjoyed my room and the pizza days. :smile:

I'll try to attach a picture.

Reply 12
the pic isn't showing up for me.

aside from plats, are there any other nice rooms at KCH? how many different types are there? i mean ive heard of plats and danehurst or something but are there anymore?
Reply 13
does any1 know if its possible to give up livin at kch after like a month or summin.ie. do we still have to pay the full accomodation fees if thats the case?.......the reason i ask is cos im planning on swoppin wid sum1 from wolfson but if that doesn't happen ill have to give kch up (im amoung the people who think they'll be depressed after livin thier unfortunatly!):frown:
Reply 14
dazmanultra
Posters and a plant or two, plus a rug and a nice duvet etc make a fantastic difference to any room. :smile:

When you arrive on the first day, ask nicely if it's possible to have a room in "Plats" (the Platanes)... these are the nicest. :smile:

Yupyup :smile: And maybe a couple of lamps too :smile:

Oooh! Ok, thanks! I'm hoping to get there quite early, like 10am. Is this a good idea, or will everyone be arriving then?
Reply 15
*claire_med*
I love your attitude n feel exactly the same!:smile:

Aww, thank you :smile: It's all about the attitude you take, I think. If you expect to have a terrible time, you usually do. So I'm expecting to have a load of fun, which I'm sure I will :biggrin:
Get yourself down to the bar, grab yourself a drink and be bubbly and friendly. :smile:

You'll also get aquainted with the nicer bars and pubs in Camberwell at some stage, but it's cool to go exploring.
Reply 17
dazmanultra
Get yourself down to the bar, grab yourself a drink and be bubbly and friendly. :smile:

You'll also get aquainted with the nicer bars and pubs in Camberwell at some stage, but it's cool to go exploring.

Any particular bars you recommend? Or advise us to stay away from?
Anyone know if postgrads in KCH are put somewhere out of the way/quiet/close to the library? I really hope so; I'm terrified of being thrust back amongst hundreds of crazy partying 18 year olds! :eek:
suziestonebitch
Anyone know if postgrads in KCH are put somewhere out of the way/quiet/close to the library? I really hope so; I'm terrified of being thrust back amongst hundreds of crazy partying 18 year olds! :eek:

People are randomly distributed as far as I'm aware. :redface:

woofz
Any particular bars you recommend? Or advise us to stay away from?

The Grove (Bar Room Bar), Funky Munky, The Castle, The Fox on the Hill are all good places to check out. Only place I personally wouldn't go into is the Silver Buckle down at Camberwell Green. :redface:

Latest