The Student Room Group

Length of a degree

Does anyone else think they could pass a 3-4 year degree course (lets be honest that "year" is in reality October - late May so 7-8 months) in a much shorter space of time?

I'm taking some fiancial qualifcations at work and basically it has the same recognition I understand as a higher education qualification. It is recommended you take 6-8 months before sitting the exams to prepare.

Consequently the cost is also £1200...

At uni I got a 2:1 but I think at its peak I was doing 15 hours a week to get through it - in hindsight I would happily of done double that and "fast track" the course and be out by 19/20 as opposed to 22/23

Does fast track exist for some courses at some unis?!

I've done a touch of research as well and it seems that degrees are in a fairly unique category of adult qualfications in the UK where its dictated to you how long it takes for you to take.

Should a person (should it be more avalible) have more options/say in how long they take in acheiving the qualification?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Daftpunker

yep http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/about/twoyear

I've done a touch of research as well and it seems that degrees are in a fairly unique category of adult qualfications in the UK where its dictated to you how long it takes for you to take.

The length isn't dictated - what is dictated to universities is the hours of study required - essentially 1,200 hours per year (so over a standard 30 week academic year that's assuming that you spend 40 hours either in lectures or studying/working independently).

Because academic staff don't *just* teach students there's very little appetite among staff to increase the intensity of teaching or extend the teaching year.
Reply 2
The length isn't dictated - what is dictated to universities is the hours of study required - essentially 1,200 hours per year (so over a standard 30 week academic year that's assuming that you spend 40 hours either in lectures or studying/working independently).

Thanks for clarifing that - I suppose I'm asking do most students honestly need that amount of time?! For example my current qualfication I'm doing for its 6-8 months recommend study - but if I wanted to...I could be sitting the final exams in 2 weeks.

Likewise it is recommended that you spend 2 years study before taking A-Levels but you can apply to sit an A Level exam every quarter and allowed to take it.

Uni for me was probably twice as long as it needed to be from an academic point of view.

Thanks for the link to Buckingham.
Thanks for clarifing that - I suppose I'm asking do most students honestly need that amount of time?! For example my current qualfication I'm doing for its 6-8 months recommend study - but if I wanted to...I could be sitting the final exams in 2 weeks.

Likewise it is recommended that you spend 2 years study before taking A-Levels but you can apply to sit an A Level exam every quarter and allowed to take it.

Uni for me was probably twice as long as it needed to be from an academic point of view.

Thanks for the link to Buckingham.

If you're able to move through content/work quicker than expected (as I say most are based on an average of 40 hours a week which is quite a bit - although that includes some weeks of 10 hours and exam/revision weeks of 80 hours in most student's case) then some universities will allow students to sit exams as an external student - often they'll only offer that option to students who need to resit though.

Alternatively there are pathways via Open Uni that would allow you to study at more than "full time" in order to complete the required credits within a shorter timescale. Sometimes these can be transferred to allow entry partway through a standard degree.
It would definitely be theoretically possible, as the time off during the summer is equivalent to a whole extra semester, but other things must take place during that time rather than just teaching; many students have to work to support themselves for the next academic year, for example, and also gain valuable work experience to compliment their degrees, and academics have research to be getting on with.
Reply 5
Does anyone else think they could pass a 3-4 year degree course (lets be honest that "year" is in reality October - late May so 7-8 months) in a much shorter space of time?

I'm taking some fiancial qualifcations at work and basically it has the same recognition I understand as a higher education qualification. It is recommended you take 6-8 months before sitting the exams to prepare.

Consequently the cost is also £1200...

At uni I got a 2:1 but I think at its peak I was doing 15 hours a week to get through it - in hindsight I would happily of done double that and "fast track" the course and be out by 19/20 as opposed to 22/23

Should a person (should it be more avalible) have more options/say in how long they take in acheiving the qualification?

As previously stated it would be possible to rearrange such that a university degree took 2 years theoretically however there are limitations on some students finances and the availability of tutors.

I actually take the opposite view to yourself and think many people go through their education too quickly. If i were able to i'd consider having people do A levels for 3 years mandating a language or Maths/Science as one, i'd also consider making 12 months of work experience mandatory during university (sandwich degree) and i'd mandate a minimum pass mark of 50% along with the removal of degrees that did not include honors.
Original post by Smack
It would definitely be theoretically possible, as the time off during the summer is equivalent to a whole extra semester, but other things must take place during that time rather than just teaching; many students have to work to support themselves for the next academic year, for example, and also gain valuable work experience to compliment their degrees, and academics have research to be getting on with.

i.e. engineering.
Buckingham Uni already do offer 2 year courses however they cost more per year than student finance can provide for a private degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending