The Student Room Group

Who has started a-levels/uni at 17/19?

This is going to be me (hopefully), :smile: I was wondering have any of you felt awkward being with/making friends people younger, (especially sixth-form) ? do you feel the odd one out being the one who older?

(+ do you have to pay when you turn eighteen?)

Scroll to see replies

I retook my AS year so I was with the year below for two years but it was really easy to make friends & I'm actually glad I retook as I met some really great people who I wouldn't have known otherwise

And being older wasn't a bad thing, it meant you were old enough to go out when all your friends in the year below turned 18!
Reply 2
Original post by emmabakerxox
I retook my AS year so I was with the year below for two years but it was really easy to make friends & I'm actually glad I retook as I met some really great people who I wouldn't have known otherwise

And being older wasn't a bad thing, it meant you were old enough to go out when all your friends in the year below turned 18!

Ah that's good:smile:, and is there more people starting their first year of uni @ 19,etc? I imagine with gap years, etc that uni is going to be more ... diverse, dunno if thats the right word but hey ho:colondollar: aha yeah thanks:smile:
Original post by elmosandy
Ah that's good:smile:, and is there more people starting their first year of uni @ 19,etc? I imagine with gap years, etc that uni is going to be more ... diverse, dunno if thats the right word but hey ho:colondollar: aha yeah thanks:smile:

Hiya! I'm gonna be starting uni this September aged 19, it's going to be interesting... :P
Reply 4
Original post by cah846
Hiya! I'm gonna be starting uni this September aged 19, it's going to be interesting... :P

Did you go sixth form? Was it okay to make friends younger? did you feel awkward? I mean I don't see college as a slack off and social gathering but friends are important, I do have some my age now, but I was hoping to make some new fresh ones my age but that isnt going to be possible now:frown:
Did you go sixth form? Was it okay to make friends younger? did you feel awkward? I mean I don't see college as a slack off and social gathering but friends are important, I do have some my age now, but I was hoping to make some new fresh ones my age but that isnt going to be possible now:frown:

No, I was home educated so a lot of my friends are a lot older or younger than me... I'm slightly nervous of interacting with people my age if I'm honest, because I'm not the type to go out and get utterly hammered and that seems to be all that people my age do :frown:
I'm going to be starting my A Levels in September at the age of 17. I'm not that worried about it to be honest but I'm in the same boat as you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by cah846
No, I was home educated so a lot of my friends are a lot older or younger than me... I'm slightly nervous of interacting with people my age if I'm honest, because I'm not the type to go out and get utterly hammered and that seems to be all that people my age do :frown:

OMG same haha im homeschooled atm:smile:, so it was okay meeting people&making friends younger at sixth form then? and I see what you mean! I have school friends my age and older and at 14/15 they wanted to drink,smoke,weed,party,stay out late,abit reckless,etc which isnt really me.... even now im 16 and ive gotten invited to a house party ahah
Reply 8
Not sure if you have to pay...My boyfriend started a BTEC when he was about 20 and he had to self fund.
I started uni at age 20. I really found it hard to share the same mentality as 18 year olds who thought putting sweet wrappers under peoples halls door was the most hilarious thing ever.
Reply 9
Original post by Daily Crisis
I'm going to be starting my A Levels in September at the age of 17. I'm not that worried about it to be honest but I'm in the same boat as you :smile:

Cool :wink: nah its just the friends/being older than everyone business for me haha, more at sixth-form though because at uni people gap years,etc its more diverse.
OMG same haha im homeschooled atm:smile:, so it was okay meeting people&making friends younger at sixth form then? and I see what you mean! I have school friends my age and older and at 14/15 they wanted to drink,smoke,weed,party,stay out late,abit reckless,etc which isnt really me.... even now im 16 and ive gotten invited to a house party ahah

I'm 19 and I've never been drunk, can you imagine how much of a weirdo people think I am?! XD if you join clubs and societies you'll find people of different ages and similar interests and you should have no problem making friends :smile:

But yeah my friends are reckless like that and I often feel uncomfortable or left out...
Reply 11
Original post by ldsbabe
Not sure if you have to pay...My boyfriend started a BTEC when he was about 20 and he had to self fund.
I started uni at age 20. I really found it hard to share the same mentality as 18 year olds who thought putting sweet wrappers under peoples halls door was the most hilarious thing ever.

oooh, what did course did you do? and oh, did you make any friends then?:frown:
Reply 12
Original post by cah846
I'm 19 and I've never been drunk, can you imagine how much of a weirdo people think I am?! XD if you join clubs and societies you'll find people of different ages and similar interests and you should have no problem making friends :smile:

But yeah my friends are reckless like that and I often feel uncomfortable or left out...

Friends have thought that its weird that I didn't drink at 14!!! xD haha nah its just that I did want some friends for two years that were my age,etc+ did you go sixth form/uni or?
(edited 9 years ago)
Friends have thought that its weird that I didn't drink at 14!!! xD haha nah its just that I did want some friends for two years that were my age,etc

Yeah I know what you mean, I'd like some friends my own age that I can actually be close to...
Cool :wink: nah its just the friends/being older than everyone business for me haha, more at sixth-form though because at uni people gap years,etc its more diverse.

A lot of the time there will be students older than me and you in a class! (I think)

In my BTEC Level 2 in IT there was 17, 18 year olds and a 21 year old. Just go with the flow really and you'll make friends. If you're nice that is, which I'm sure you are :wink:
Reply 15
[QUOTE="cah846;48687466"]Yeah I know what you mean, I'd like some friends my own age that I can actually be close to...[/QUOTE

Ive got some atm though clubs,old friends from primary,etc I could join other clubs but I would have prefered it if I went to college and had friends my own age,etc. Even at uni aswell:frown:
Reply 16
Original post by cah846
Yeah I know what you mean, I'd like some friends my own age that I can actually be close to...

Ive got some my own age atm though clubs,old friends from primary,etc I could join other clubs but I would have prefered it if I went to college and had new fresh friends my own age,etc. Even at uni aswell
, mehhh oh well...
Reply 17
[QUOTE="elmosandy;48687544"]
Original post by cah846
Yeah I know what you mean, I'd like some friends my own age that I can actually be close to...[/QUOTE

Ive got some atm though clubs,old friends from primary,etc I could join other clubs but I would have prefered it if I went to college and had friends my own age,etc. Even at uni aswell:frown:

A lot of the time there will be students older than me and you in a class! (I think)

In my BTEC Level 2 in IT there was 17, 18 year olds and a 21 year old. Just go with the flow really and you'll make friends. If you're nice that is, which I'm sure you are :wink:

Ah, im taking BTEC sport to get out of the house and pass time... *edited* sorry for asking "did you ever do a-levels" just read your last message again! ahaha silly me-_-
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18

Ah did you just finish this? what gcse/igcses have you done?
Ah did you just finish this? what gcse/igcses have you done?

I achieved an overall distinction :smile: my gcses are English C (remark), maths d (retaken hopefully and probably c :biggrin:), Btec applied science pass, music Btec merit and 3 other silly Btec subjects. Reason why I didn't do much is because I ****ed around at school :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest