The Student Room Group

Men would you give mouth to mouth to another man

If it was guaranteed to save his life?

Scroll to see replies

Well obviously. I would be amazed if anyone here says no.
Original post by cole-slaw
Well obviously. I would be amazed if anyone here says no.

Prepare to be amazed.
Obviously, why on Earth wouldn't you?
No probably not.
no i will leave him to die because i dont want to be embarreased for mouthing another guy

not srs
i will do it
maybe

(yes)
No.....Please ....!!
Reply 8
God I thought I'd heard all the ridiculous things people come out with on here.
Reply 9
I wouldn't without a mouth guard, on either a man or a woman (or a child or whatever). First rule of first aid is to not endanger yourself.

CPR doesn't include mouth-to-mouth these days anyway, you shouldn't perform it unless you're a paramedic who knows what they're doing (and presumably if everything else in the ambulance is broken).
Original post by Dez
I wouldn't without a mouth guard, on either a man or a woman (or a child or whatever). First rule of first aid is to not endanger yourself.

CPR doesn't include mouth-to-mouth these days anyway, you shouldn't perform it unless you're a paramedic who knows what they're doing (and presumably if everything else in the ambulance is broken).

I thought you're meant to?
If its possibly an infectious disease then no... but what about someone that's not breathing who just had a heart attack, or got hit by something?
Reply 11
Surely mouth to mouth is just likely to kill them as you're filling their lungs with CO2??
but no I wouldn't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dez

For a lay bystander you can do compression only CPR, however if you've received formal training then you should go for the usual 30 compressions to 2 breaths (edited to correct because I'm half asleep). Chances are if you've had formal training you'd be carrying some sort of mouth guard though, I have one that's in a key ring.

Original post by Aph
Surely mouth to mouth is just likely to kill them as you're filling their lungs with CO2??
but no I wouldn't

Posted from TSR Mobile

You exhale a mixture of O2 and CO2, your body doesn't use all of the O2 it inhales, if this were the case mouth to mouth would have never been a thing.
(edited 9 years ago)
No, probably not.
(I wouldn't know how to do it anyway)
Reply 14
If I might be serious a minute, spending some time on the British Red Cross website might be an idea, and could save someone's life some day: http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/First-aid/Everyday-First-Aid

Original post by hellodave5
I thought you're meant to?
If its possibly an infectious disease then no... but what about someone that's not breathing who just had a heart attack, or got hit by something?

Unless you're a doctor or know the person very well you can't be sure that direct mouth-to-mouth is safe, they could be on some form of medication that would do you harm, they may be on narcotics/other illegal substances, they could be bleeding from the mouth. As moonkatt says a bystander should never have reason to perform mouth-to-mouth anyway.

Original post by moonkatt
For a lay bystander you can do compression only CPR, however if you've received formal training then you should go for the usual 15 compressions to 2 breaths. Chances are if you've had formal training you'd be carrying some sort of mouth guard though, I have one that's in a key ring.

I'm not sure how "formal" the formal training needs to be, I think First Aid at Work (the bog standard one) just recommends chest compressions too? I'm not totally up-to-date on this subject though. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Dez

My lifeguard training included giving rescue breaths whilst still in the pool for a spinal injury, in that situation it is impossible to use a mouth guard and the training was to do so without one.
In other words, would I let a guy possibly suffer brain damage or die because I'm insecure about my sexuality?

No.
Original post by Dez
I'm not sure how "formal" the formal training needs to be, I think First Aid at Work (the bog standard one) just recommends chest compressions too? I'm not totally up-to-date on this subject though. :smile:

When I did that course 2 years ago we were told to do 15:2 (or was it 30:2? I think it might have been 30:2 then? It seems to always change :tongue: :colondollar: carrying on...) If you knew the person and/or had a mouth guard thing. No obligation to gdo any more than chest compressions, just that we could having been trained. This was at the time of those CPR adverts on TV about just doing chest compressions :smile:
Original post by Dez

As far as I can work out, something including the first aid at work course (which is often taught by the Red Cross or SJA) should include mouth to mouth as a form of assisted ventilation. The Resuscitation Council UK's position is this:

chest compression combined with rescue breaths is the method of choice for CPR by trained lay-rescuers and professionals and should be the basis for lay-rescuer education.

https://www.resus.org.uk/pages/trainMTM.htm

Anyway, this is veering slightly off topic, as Dez has already mentioned, for those of you who say you wouldn't know what to do the Red Cross do courses, as do St John Ambulance: http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/default.aspx
Original post by TurboCretin
In other words, would I let a guy possibly suffer brain damage or die because I'm insecure about my sexuality?

No.

Though that was obviously the context of this thread, there is a definite risk of contracting diseases when doing mouth to mouth, especially if you aren't vaccinated against something highly infectious like Hep B... So in a sense there is a fairly valid reason for not wanting to do mouth to mouth on a random stranger but it'd have to apply to all people not just males

Quick Reply

Latest