The Student Room Group

Is it anti semetic to think that jews have too much power?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Cornelius
Source: JEWWATCH.COM

Gtfo.

What kind of source were you expecting. It's not like being a Jew is breaking news?
Original post by imtelling

The worlds oldest and most supremacist ethnic cult doesn't want to give up its power it seems. As Voltaire said:

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

We cannot criticise people with Down's syndrome, ergo, people with Down's Syndrome rule over us.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 62
Why do atheists continue to call jewish people semitic. Someone is not semitic they speak a semetic language. Arabs speak a semetic language but if you cuss one why are you not called anti-semitic? if you dont believe religion existed why call them semits. Unless you accept that they are the descendants of shem himself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Truths
Judaism isn't the issue. Jews are not the issue. Zionism & Zionists are the issue.

pretty much but the same if we are tbh but i get what you are saying.
Reply 64
Original post by Ashnard
We cannot criticise people with Down's syndrome, ergo, people with Down's Syndrome rule over us.

...Clever.

Original post by Truths
What kind of source were you expecting. It's not like being a Jew is breaking news?

It would be in the case of Murdoch since both sides of his family are of Scottish, Irish and English descent. A few of his ancestors were Christian pastors/ministers.
Original post by Ashnard
Most of what you say is generally true. Both the environment and genetics have a role to play and I do not dispute this.

However, I used the example of von Neumann for a good reason, and that was for his precocious ability (i.e. he was a child prodigy). For example, at the age of 6 he was able to divide two eight-digit numbers in his head. He also had a photographic memory. Such abilities cannot be taught. No amount of money or education can make a six-year-old child divide these numbers in their head. I mentioned the game of chess for a similar reason -- to succeed requires raw intelligence and the benefit of having a banker as a Dad would be less than for fields like Physics or History. A good education can take somebody only so far. It accounts well for doctors, lawyers, and architects, but for chess grandmasters, Nobel prize-winners, and child prodigies less so.

Yes, but for every well-known polymathic renaissance genius with an extensive wikipedia entry, there are probably a dozen child prodigies who are unknown because their parents were taxi drivers or they come from broken homes or the schools they went to were undemanding.
Reply 67
Original post by Ashnard

Actually Voltaire has a point. You can criticise downs syndrome people, but you don't because of morals. If you did, some people might be annoyed but you're not going to be oppressed by the people you criticised, you may well be by someone defending them but that's not the point. In North Korea say, to get away from the Jewish context, you can't criticise Dear Leader because if you did he'd probably feed you to a dog or give you 10 years hard labour. Here your target of criticism is also the oppressor and I think that's what Voltaire was getting at.
Original post by Truths
Rupert Murdoch has a Jewish roots. Founder and Executive Chairman of Viacom is a Jew. Lets have a look at the assets of Walt Disney and Fox alone.

Politics? Well they have got away with a lot, on top of that being the highest receiver of foreign aid from the US.

Murdoch is Jewish? :rofl: Not a lot of Jews in Cruden Bay, Aberdeenshire, where the Murdochs hail from. :lol: Keep on fantasising though if it makes you feel happy.
Original post by Wattsy
Actually Voltaire has a point. You can criticise downs syndrome people, but you don't because of morals. If you did, some people might be annoyed but you're not going to be oppressed by the people you criticised, you may well be by someone defending them but that's not the point. In North Korea say, to get away from the Jewish context, you can't criticise Dear Leader because if you did he'd probably feed you to a dog or give you 10 years hard labour. Here your target of criticism is also the oppressor and I think that's what Voltaire was getting at.

In some contexts it applies and in some it does not. Germans could not criticise Nazis because they were ruled over by Nazis. In this context the quote applies. On the other hand, white people cannot (generally) criticise black people not because white people are ruled over by black people but because black people are a vulnerable ethnic minority, and hence heavy criticism of them could engender hatred and then later genocide. Same applies to Jews, and disabled people, or any minority that is in danger of being persecuted by the majority. In these cases the quote does not apply.

The moral of the story is to appreciate aphorisms for what they and not to use them as a substitute for an argument, without recognising their limitations/exceptions.
Original post by Ümmm
Why do atheists continue to call jewish people semitic. Someone is not semitic they speak a semetic language. Arabs speak a semetic language but if you cuss one why are you not called anti-semitic? if you dont believe religion existed why call them semits. Unless you accept that they are the descendants of shem himself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anti-semitism has histrorically been the term used to describe the hatred of Jews. When people use that phrase everybody knows what is being referred to. The literal meaning doesn't make sense as you have said but it has stuck for historical reasons, much in the same way that white people are described as Caucasians without them having any special association with the Caucasus region.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes, but for every well-known polymathic renaissance genius with an extensive wikipedia entry, there are probably a dozen child prodigies who are unknown because their parents were taxi drivers or they come from broken homes or the schools they went to were undemanding.

That is true to an extent but for extremely gifted individuals their ability is often so apparent that openings are made in a way that they aren't for kids that are just clever but not amazing. Two well known examples I can think of are Michael Faraday (mentored by Humphry Davy) and the Indiam mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan (mentored by Godfrey Hardy). So it's does happen although I accept that there may have been some poor individuals of their caliber that have been born that we have never heard of for obvious reasons.
Original post by Ashnard
Ethnic nepotism doesn't win people Nobel prizes. The beauty of science is that the reputation of the scientist is determined almost completely by the aptitude of that scientist to practice science. No bull ****. No politics. Just intelligence and work rate determine one's standing in the scientific arena.

It is very telling that people who view Jews negatively like to mention their "disproportionate" influence in politics, finance, banking, etc. but almost always fail to mention their vast achievements in science and mathematics. This is because they want to imply rather bitterly that their pre-eminence is the sole product of petty tribalism or nepotism, and of course their achievements in science and mathematics (where the benefit of nepotsim would be much less) argue against this notion.

Indeed. Let's drop the unspoken bomb here: there's compelling evidence to suggest that Ashkenazi Jews have a higher IQ than the general white population, on average. Their continued outperformance in a variety of cognitively demanding areas - science, maths, chess, etc. - attests to this.

As such, it is not particularly surprising that they are also successful in industry and finance.

The only point of interest that could arise in this discussion is if successful Jews are able and willing to parlay that success into oppressing non-Jews in society. There is no evidence to suggest this is the case - there does not seem to be discrimination against non-Jews in businesses or universities, for instance. Therefore, this is as much a non-issue as is the fact that Indians are overrepresented in Silicon Valley, that men are overrepresented as CEOs, and that blacks are overrepresented in athletics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by UniOfLife
Every individual should have as much power as they can get through legitimate means.

What if that method creates terrible inequality, with some groups living in squalor while others live like kings?
Original post by ClickItBack
Indeed. Let's drop the unspoken bomb here: there's compelling evidence to suggest that Ashkenazi Jews have a higher IQ than the general white population, on average. Their continued outperformance in a variety of cognitively demanding areas - science, maths, chess, etc. - attests to this.

As such, it is not particularly surprising that they are also successful in industry and finance.

The only point of interest that could arise in this discussion is if successful Jews are able and willing to parlay that success into oppressing non-Jews in society. There is no evidence to suggest this is the case - there does not seem to be discrimination against non-Jews in businesses or universities, for instance. Therefore, this is as much a non-issue as is the fact that Indians are overrepresented in Silicon Valley, that men are overrepresented as CEOs, and that blacks are overrepresented in athletics.

Yeah, that is basically what I was alluding to. I didn't state IQ explicitly though because I didn't want what I was saying to be diverted by predictable replies about unreliability of IQ tests, cultural bias, etc. I do also think that culture and the study-orientated tradition of Judaism is a factor, though.

I haven't seen any evidence that Jews have been exploiting their influence to oppress non-Jews in society. If anything, there is evidence to the contrary as the Jews were heavily involved in support of the American Civil Rights Movement, for example. Even among the pro-Palenstinian activists there are many prominent Jews so there is plenty to argue against the notion that Jews only act in the interest of other Jews to the detriment of non-Jews.
Original post by matthewduncan
So is it anti semetic to think or say that jews have too much power and political influence around the world

If you don't have any malicious intent, no.
Original post by felamaslen
It is not anti-Semitic to suggest that Judaism has too much power, but it is anti-Semitic to suggest that Jews have too much power. Cultural groups don't have power; individuals do.

oh come on...
Original post by zippity.doodah
oh come on...

Unless you want to raise an actual objection to something that I said, I may as well ignore you.
Original post by felamaslen
Unless you want to raise an actual objection to something that I said, I may as well ignore you.

okay so if I said "jewish individuals* have too much power" (I don't actually think this, I'm just doing this to reply to your difficulty) how would you feel then?
Original post by zippity.doodah
okay so if I said "jewish individuals* have too much power" (I don't actually think this, I'm just doing this to reply to your difficulty) how would you feel then?

If somebody has too much power, that would be the case regardless of whether or not they are Jewish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending