The Student Room Group

Football at Uni?

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone knew what football is like at University? Is it really professional or is it somewhat laid back? Some unis have 3-4 teams, but does that mean the first team can have first year students?

Sorry if these are silly questions! Just wanna know a bit more before trying out in September!
I'm confused about how all this plays out too, so what if you're in the first team in your first year of uni, are you guaranteed to stay on in the first team during your second year? Taking into consideration the next lot of first years coming in the following year who will be wanting to play for the first team.
Original post by Wall of sound
I'm confused about how all this plays out too, so what if you're in the first team in your first year of uni, are you guaranteed to stay on in the first team during your second year? Taking into consideration the next lot of first years coming in the following year who will be wanting to play for the first team.

Lol you just don't get into the first team just like that. You have to be really good. There can be 3rd years in 3rd/4th team and 1st years in the first team
Original post by DanyalAmeriKhan
Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone knew what football is like at University? Is it really professional or is it somewhat laid back? Some unis have 3-4 teams, but does that mean the first team can have first year students?

Sorry if these are silly questions! Just wanna know a bit more before trying out in September!

Original post by yodawg321
Lol you just don't get into the first team just like that. You have to be really good. There can be 3rd years in 3rd/4th team and 1st years in the first team

Any of you ever played in an academy?
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Any of you ever played in an academy?

Nope, why?
Reply 5
The 1st team at most universities will be very, very good. I was one of the few players who hadn't played for a professional club at youth level and a couple of the guys had given a professional career to go to university. I'm talking fairly low level leagues, but professional leagues nonetheless.
I'm going to Keele and they didn't perform at a great level last year according to the BUCS results, and most of the teams are positioned in the lower tiers but as we all know the results don't always tell the full story. I've played for local teams since I was about 12 so I hope to play in at least one of the teams, I'm not particularly bothered which. I think I'd form great friendships through this as well.
Reply 7
I'm going to Keele and they didn't perform at a great level last year according to the BUCS results, and most of the teams are positioned in the lower tiers but as we all know the results don't always tell the full story. I've played for local teams since I was about 12 so I hope to play in at least one of the teams, I'm not particularly bothered which. I think I'd form great friendships through this as well.

You will get into one of the teams. To give you an idea of the level, I was friends with the captain of the University of Sheffield football team and he was on the books of Charlton until he was 16.
Nope, why?

Most uni team members are failed academy alumni

So I'm guessing if your really bad you won't get in the 3rd/4th team right?:biggrin:

Original post by pane123
You will get into one of the teams. To give you an idea of the level, I was friends with the captain of the University of Sheffield football team and he was on the books of Charlton until he was 16.

What would you say the level is for the 3rd/4th teams? Is there a big difference between the quality of the teams?

Original post by TheAnusFiles
Most uni team members are failed academy alumni

Even the 3rd/4th teams?
(edited 9 years ago)
Even the 3rd/4th teams?

Look if you just want to play football with your mates every saturday I'm sure there will be something for you. If you want to be in the Uni team you need to be very good
What would you say the level is for the 3rd/4th teams? Is there a big difference between the quality of the teams?

I can't remember how many teams my uni had, but the 4th team was fairly decent. It consisted of guys who would have been OK to have in your team at 5-a-sides but nothing special.
Original post by pane123
I can't remember how many teams my uni had, but the 4th team was fairly decent. It consisted of guys who would have been OK to have in your team at 5-a-sides but nothing special.

Alrighty cool! Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending