The Student Room Group

Going to the GP for depression

Hi,

I think that i might be suffering from depression, i have a GP's appointment on Friday to discuss this, however i am unsure of what to expect...
Will i be diagnosed there and then? or will i get referred?
What kind of things will he ask?
Any information on what i can expect or how i can prepare for it would be great.

Thanks x
I'd advise on writing down what you're experiencing on a piece of paper. Note down how you feel, what your thoughts are like, whether it seems to come and go or is permanent. Also write down any questions for your GP if you have them. You can then either give the piece of paper to your GP or read off it; makes things a lot easier.

Your GP will want to ask you further questions on how you feel on a day to day basis; expect questions on suicidal thoughts or self-harm. It's important that you are as honest as you can be with your doctor as that will allow him/her to help you the best they can. If your GP suspects depression, you'll either be referred to see a psychiatrist/psychologist or prescribed anti-depressants. It tends to be both if the GP deems the depression to be moderate/severe.

You'll be fine. Good luck. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I think that i might be suffering from depression, i have a GP's appointment on Friday to discuss this, however i am unsure of what to expect...
Will i be diagnosed there and then? or will i get referred?
What kind of things will he ask?
Any information on what i can expect or how i can prepare for it would be great.

Thanks x

If you think you have depression you probably have it because it's not a normal thought to have.

Make sure that you plan what you want to say and say it in your appointment. Much of the time doctors (despite their time constraints) don't give patients enough time to express themselves, and how you are feeling is very important in determining whether you have it. They may ask you a few standard questions as people with depression often have a variety of classic symptoms, for example: do you feel a sense of hopelessness or excessively worry? do you have trouble sleeping because of intrusive thoughts and have you stopped doing things you usually love doing? It is likely you will be diagnosed on there and then, and the doctor may even prescribe you antidepressants if he/she thinks they're suitable. He may also refer you to some counselling or cognitive therapy.

One piece of advice, DO NOT DELAY.

I never made an appointment for the doctors, my depression was a chance finding in a consultation with a dermatologist when I was about to get roaccutane. He asked me if I had any other health problems and I just broke down and admitted there and then that I had depressive symptoms for six years. I haven't felt content with my life for even one year of my teenagehood until now. (I'm 19) I just wish I'd had the balls to make an appointment years ago as I know that depressive phase will affect me for the rest of my life. But I'm on the mend now. I'm on antidepressants which are working well and on roaccutane for my skin which was the main source of all my sadness and anxiety. I'm waiting for a referral to a health psychologist too.

This week I realised for the first time what contentment feels like. I feel absolutely free and it's the best feeling in the world. I hope whole-heartedly that you get better, but I know that you will because you've made the best decision you can ever make and that's making that damn appointment. Go forth and enjoy your life.

Most regular people will never understand what depression feels like. My parents never did and so never were able to spot my depression, and until this day I have never told them. I'm not ready for that stage yet. But if you feel you can confide your problems in someone you trust, please please do. It will help so much.

All the best.
Reply 3
Just be as honest as possible. When i did it I was only in there for 5 minutes and I got a prescription for anti-d's straight away. I also got a referral in the mail but that was for about a month ahead.
It depends on your age really and your location. If you are under 18 then you'll probably be referred to CAMHS for counselling but anti-depressants most likely won't be considered because they aren't really given to under 18's and definitely wouldn't be given straight away. You probably wouldn't be diagnosed either until you were seen at CAMHS. If you're over 18 then you caan be prescribed anti depressants, referred for counselling and diagnosed all in the one appointment. But i do know that this all varied depending on where you are, and the services in your area. Good luck with the appointment, i hope you start feeing better soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest