The Student Room Group

Medical student - no immunity after Hepatitis B vaccination

Hi guys

I'm a medical student who has just finished first year. Throughout the year we had to go through a Hepatitis B vaccination course followed by a blood test to see if we had developed immunity.

My results came back and said I had no immunity, and when I when to the GP it appeared I was no where near the level of antibodies required to be safely immune from getting Hepatitis B.

They gave me another blood test to see if I actually have Hepatitis B because it's standard procedure, but this has scared me a bit. I've had no exposure I can think of but it would destroy me if I found out I had it.

My question is just to keep my piece of mind; is it likely to be some other natural cause that I gained no immunity or should I expect a positive result in 2 weeks time?
Sometimes people just don't respond to the vaccine. Have they offered you another course? Sometimes it can take a couple of courses for people to acquire immunity.
Many people just don't respond to the vaccine for whatever reason. It doesn't mean that they will test positive.

I would really not worry about it, especially as you cannot think of any exposure risks. I know that's easier said than done but put ya feet up and have a cuppa. You'll be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by moonkatt
Sometimes people just don't respond to the vaccine. Have they offered you another course? Sometimes it can take a couple of courses for people to acquire immunity.

I hope that's the case and I just have an irrational fear. I'm just not sure how many people in my class didn't acquire immunity.

They've offered me another course, provided my blood test comes back negative for Hep B virus in 2 weeks time.
Original post by Anonymous
I hope that's the case and I just have an irrational fear. I'm just not sure how many people in my class didn't acquire immunity.

They've offered me another course, provided my blood test comes back negative for Hep B virus in 2 weeks time.

I know quite a few people who didn't respond. It's fairly common.
Original post by Anonymous

I know of quite a few people who had to have a second course, so it's not massively uncommon.
Reply 6
Phew cheers guys. I'm a worrier and always will be I guess! haha

Quick Reply

Latest