The Student Room Group

For art students applying for universities in 2015

I couldn't find a post like this anywhere, maybe it was too early for one but I finally talked myself into making it, so basically I made this for art students applying universities so we can discuss choices maybe give each other advice on how to improve our chances of acceptance.

I'm applying for film production for 015 and my choices consist of Ravensbourne, Central St. Martins, Portsmouth, Winchester and AUB (Arts university of Bournemouth) but they might change down the line but tell me yours.

We might give each other ideas.

Here's the creative arts connect/stalking page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello there! I'm thinking of applying for both art foundation and graphic design degree course next year...
I'm thinking of Central Saint Martins, Camberwell, Nottingham Trent, Brighton and Leeds!
Have you started making your portfolio yet?
Reply 2
Oh hey, Yeah i have and i haven't officially started (if that makes sense), its a few bits and pieces but i'm gonna start organizing myself properly when i get back to college and i get a better insight on how to do things to the highest of standards and what about you, were are you now in building a portfolio and whats your first choice.
Hey, I'm in a similar position to virginiamyw - I think I'll be applying to both graphic design and art foundation courses for 2015 entry. I really wish I could go straight into degree, but I've heard how difficult it is and I'm getting a bit worried about it now. Unfortunately the art foundation course at my local college really isn't appealing to me...

Portfolio wise, I've started a sort of 'sketchbook' as my tutor recommended. Basically, I've been using it to show how I plan my projects - I'm putting in there all my brainstorms, thumbnail sketches, etc., along with small print outs of the final results (some of which will hopefully make my portfolio). Apart from that I haven't really achieved a great amount...

At the moment Falmouth is definitely my first choice, but I'm also looking at Leeds, Bournemouth and Hertfordshire among others.

How did you all pick your choices of uni?
Reply 4
I just researched the course that appealed to me and I looked how professional there departments are and also looked at the graduation pieces.

my first choice is Bournemouth arts, its the best for art students, you should check out the site.
I've been looking at graduation pieces too, but I haven't been able to find too many, surprisingly. Do you have the link to Bournemouth's? Maybe I'm being stupid but I couldn't see a great amount of student work on the website. They're probably my second or third choice at the moment.
Reply 6
http://engageshow2014.co.uk/ here they are and http://aub.ac.uk/courses/ba/ba-graphic-design/interviews-portfolios/ click this link, it tells you how to improve your portfolio to a good standard that unis are looking for
Original post by Theblackguy
http://engageshow2014.co.uk/ here they are and http://aub.ac.uk/courses/ba/ba-graphic-design/interviews-portfolios/ click this link, it tells you how to improve your portfolio to a good standard that unis are looking for

That's great, thank you very much! I feel like I should probably get started on my portfolio soon, aha.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
sure no problem, i wish you luck.
I haven't even thought of the 5 universities I want to apply to :redface:
I know I'll be applying to Birmingham City, though, because I want to stay local and it's the 'best' uni that's local to me...
Toying with the idea of a foundation year, though! Ahhh, I just can't decide.
Hey, well college hasnt started yet so i think you have up to October to decide that lol, as long as you start your personal at some point beforehand.
personally, I don't think you should pick a uni solely based on it being local, plus its uni don't you wanna be free and start over again lol reinvent yourself and all.
foundation course seem cool but whats your main passion? film, graphic design ect?
Hi there I'm Andrea from Italy :smile: In 2015 I'm applying for graphic design at Falmouth, Plymounth, AUB, York and Norwich... I've visited all there universities this year :smile: I'm currently making my portfolio by myself but I don't know what to put inside :/
Original post by andrea1995ri
Hi there I'm Andrea from Italy :smile: In 2015 I'm applying for graphic design at Falmouth, Plymounth, AUB, York and Norwich... I've visited all there universities this year :smile: I'm currently making my portfolio by myself but I don't know what to put inside :/

Oh hi! When did you visit Falmouth, AUB & Norwich and how did they look? I'm seriously considering all three of them (for Graphic Design), but haven't managed to visit yet...

Yeah I'm trying to work on my portfolio too, and really struggling. I've seen a lot of unis say they're looking for more than just design work as well, such as painting, photography and sculpture, which has scared me a little as I'm not too experienced in any of those things, unfortunately :/
Original post by charlottei
Oh hi! When did you visit Falmouth, AUB & Norwich and how did they look? I'm seriously considering all three of them (for Graphic Design), but haven't managed to visit yet...

Yeah I'm trying to work on my portfolio too, and really struggling. I've seen a lot of unis say they're looking for more than just design work as well, such as painting, photography and sculpture, which has scared me a little as I'm not too experienced in any of those things, unfortunately :/

Hi, so, I didn't visited Norwich but Falmouth is amazing, the place is beautiful too... At the moment they are renovating the graphic design building and it'll look very nice according to me... There are two campuses at Falmouth, one is on a hill and has more courses and buildings than the other of graphic design that it's situated in the town center...
AUB I think is the best for everything... on the Guardian ranking says all...

I'm scared too with paintings! It seems that at the AUB they ask a lot of these works... I mainly do works with Photoshop and Illustrator :/

Hey, so whats your firm and insurance and how are York and plymouth
Firm and insurance? Right, York is very nice, in the graphic design department they've bought 25 new iMac 27" and 25 new PCs... There are very good facilities...
Plymouth I think it has the largest building of the 5 that I've visited... It's very nice and the Illustrator studio is amazing :wink:
Firm and insurance? Right, York is very nice, in the graphic design department they've bought 25 new iMac 27" and 25 new PCs... There are very good facilities...
Plymouth I think it has the largest building of the 5 that I've visited... It's very nice and the Illustrator studio is amazing :wink:

oh firm and insurance? are the first and second (back up choice) choice of the five unis you've applied for and thats cool, what do think of AUB because that's my first choice
oh firm and insurance? are the first and second (back up choice) choice of the five unis you've applied for and thats cool, what do think of AUB because that's my first choice

I'll be mine too, the uni is very cool such as the city, I've had a tour there and everybody was very helpful giving advice and things like that.. It's the second best uni for the graphic design course in uk!
Hey, well college hasnt started yet so i think you have up to October to decide that lol, as long as you start your personal at some point beforehand.
personally, I don't think you should pick a uni solely based on it being local, plus its uni don't you wanna be free and start over again lol reinvent yourself and all.
foundation course seem cool but whats your main passion? film, graphic design ect?

My main passions are painting and textiles! Yeah, I guess, but I don't think I'm ready to move away yet. Who knows, maybe I'll feel better in the second year, because I know sometimes you can transfer your course to another uni for a similar reason.
I looked around BCU's website and they seem so lovely and friendly. I was going to apply to Oxford, but it's all so official and the interviews are really serious and that's not really what I want in a uni, so :rolleyes:
I'll be mine too, the uni is very cool such as the city, I've had a tour there and everybody was very helpful giving advice and things like that.. It's the second best uni for the graphic design course in uk!

Yeah, i went there in November, it was really good. its like they all knew what they were doing and whats the first

Quick Reply

Latest