The Student Room Group

Are my choice of A Levels good enough for medicine?

Hi guys! Just wondering if you could advise me on whether or not my a levels that I have chosen to do are good enough for medicine?

I have chosen: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology.

Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aleenaa
Hi guys! Just wondering if you could advise me on whether or not my a levels that I have chosen to do are good enough for medicine?

I have chosen: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and RS.

Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they're fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Yes they're fine.

Oo great! If you don't mind me asking, where are you studying medicine, what A Levels did you do and what were your results and where abouts are you in your study for medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
i would personally swap RS with some other 'hard' subject like maths economics...
Most places don't care as long as biology and chemistry are there. Don't listen to any BS telling you otherwise. Only probably Oxbridge care what your other options are. What's most important is getting the As. Although, I'd still be a little bit weary of picking RS and Psych just in case. I'd swap one of them with something a bit harder. I did Bio Chem Politics and Philosophy and got 4 interviews where the offers all depended on interview performance only so I must have done something right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Oops guys I've decided to change my A Levels to Bio, Chem, Sociology and Psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reptilian
Most places don't care as long as biology and chemistry are there. Don't listen to any BS telling you otherwise. Only probably Oxbridge care what your other options are. What's most important is getting the As. Although, I'd still be a little bit weary of picking RS and Psych just in case. I'd swap one of them with something a bit harder. I did Bio Chem Politics and Philosophy and got 4 interviews where the offers all depended on interview performance only so I must have done something right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Aleenaa
Oops guys I've decided to change my A Levels to Bio, Chem, Sociology and Psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont listen to him OP

This guy clearly has no idea what he is talking about.

You dont need Chem and Bio, all schools require Chemistry and only a selected few requires Biology

I am aware that you are taking both but from this you can see that you should take what that guy says with a pinch of salt as clearly he has no idea what he is on about before criticising others

Your subject combinations are perfectly fine

@repti check your information before trying to criticise others

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Med_medine
Dont listen to him OP

This guy clearly has no idea what he is talking about.

You dont need Chem and Bio, all schools require Chemistry and only a selected few requires Biology

I am aware that you are taking both but from this you can see that you should take what that guy says with a pinch of salt as clearly he has no idea what he is on about before criticising others

Your subject combinations are perfectly fine

@repti check your information before trying to criticise others

Posted from TSR Mobile

16 medical schools require biology at either AS or A2. You're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about evidently. The proof is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Do 16 medical schools look like a 'select few' to you??? You should brush up on your vocabulary mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aleenaa

Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths might look good as well.
Original post by Emma:-)
Maths might look good as well.

No more than any other subject :nah:

Original post by Aleenaa
Oo great! If you don't mind me asking, where are you studying medicine, what A Levels did you do and what were your results and where abouts are you in your study for medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a clinical med student on a GEP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
No more than any other subject :nah:

I'm a clinical med student on a GEP.

I meant that it might look decent as its quite respected, and would probably look better than a less respected subject.
Original post by Emma:-)
I meant that it might look decent as its quite respected, and would probably look better than a less respected subject.

What's a less respected subject? And where's your source for this?
Original post by Aleenaa

Thanks guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are fine but if you are good at maths then i would swap sociology with it but if not then thats not a problem.:smile:
Reply 13
Thank you guys! I am considering to change my A Level to Physics but I've heard mixed reviews about this. Some people are telling me it's the hardest A Level and others are telling me it's fine, /:

I know this thread is not about Physics but is there anyone here that has done Physics from Edexcel as an AS and how did they find it?

P.s I'm a new person to TSR so what does OP mean?🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry is the most important , then bio. You don't necessarily need maths , but it's a good hard subject to have.
Original post by Aleenaa
Thank you guys! I am considering to change my A Level to Physics but I've heard mixed reviews about this. Some people are telling me it's the hardest A Level and others are telling me it's fine, /:

I know this thread is not about Physics but is there anyone here that has done Physics from Edexcel as an AS and how did they find it?

P.s I'm a new person to TSR so what does OP mean?🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't pick physics without maths, you'd be unnecessarily handicapping yourself. Your goal should be to get 4 As, stop worrying about what subjects these will be in. It's better to get 4 As in the subject you initially wanted to pick then AABC if you substitute them with maths and physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending