The Student Room Group

Housing benefit & College

Can you claim housing benefit and go to college full time (Either A levels or Access course)?
I have no family to support me, but I am over 21. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've just completed my Access Course and received Housing Benefit all the way through. I think it depends on circumstances though - I'm a single parent of a 6 and 4 year old. I know one woman on the course had real issues with her benefits being stopped when her youngest child turned 5, because she was on the course. I'm 24 btw.
Original post by Lucy1989
I've just completed my Access Course and received Housing Benefit all the way through. I think it depends on circumstances though - I'm a single parent of a 6 and 4 year old. I know one woman on the course had real issues with her benefits being stopped when her youngest child turned 5, because she was on the course. I'm 24 btw.

If you have kids you can stay on it, but apparently I can't. Such a stupid and restrictive system.
Reply 3
It also depends on your financial situation - if you're claiming any other benefits like JSA or ESA.

I had full housing benefit all the way through my access course because I was receiving ESA, I am single, 28 with no kids.

If you are claiming JSA then you might be able to claim housing benefit - but the jobcenter nazi's may make you attend work related activities and may even insist that you leave your course to take up employment if the opportunity comes along - This happened to two people on my course - one left to take up a job and the other quit claiming JSA because he wanted to finish the course and go to uni.
Original post by mark_18
It also depends on your financial situation - if you're claiming any other benefits like JSA or ESA.

I had full housing benefit all the way through my access course because I was receiving ESA, I am single, 28 with no kids.

If you are claiming JSA then you might be able to claim housing benefit - but the jobcenter nazi's may make you attend work related activities and may even insist that you leave your course to take up employment if the opportunity comes along - This happened to two people on my course - one left to take up a job and the other quit claiming JSA because he wanted to finish the course and go to uni.

How do you get on ESA? Was your course full or part time?
Reply 5
Original post by cheeriosarenice
How do you get on ESA? Was your course full or part time?

That's not an easy question because you have to be unfit for work in the eyes of the jobcentre - I have been on ESA for 3 years due to a few chronic health problems.

It involves applying and usually having to have a sick note from your doctor which needs to renewed up until you have a medical assessment by ATOS - they then decide whether you are entitled to stay on ESA, or if not then you are put back on JSA and told to find a job.

It isn't an easy process unfortunately, and it is seemingly becoming increasingly harder to claim.

Hope this helps
Reply 6
My course was full time btw.
Original post by mark_18
That's not an easy question because you have to be unfit for work in the eyes of the jobcentre - I have been on ESA for 3 years due to a few chronic health problems.

It involves applying and usually having to have a sick note from your doctor which needs to renewed up until you have a medical assessment by ATOS - they then decide whether you are entitled to stay on ESA, or if not then you are put back on JSA and told to find a job.

It isn't an easy process unfortunately, and it is seemingly becoming increasingly harder to claim.

Hope this helps

Cheers buddy. The whole situation makes me feel very depressed, but I'm not sure if that counts as a health problem
Reply 8
Well I hope you find a solution!

The other thing with ESA is that if you do get declined, you can appeal, or accept the fact you have been declined and re-apply for ESA again - then wait for another assessment.

It seems to be taking about 6 months to be assessed at the moment - it should only take 12 weeks normally (This varies depending on where you live).

It also depends on whether you can be bothered to go through all this, it can get quite frustrating!
Reply 9
I'm wondering about this too just now. I'm hoping to return to 3rd year of university after a few years out due to illness. I need to move 300 miles away to stay in my uni town.

I'm currently on ESA assessment rate (applied while in hospital in October but haven't had my medical assessment yet and no guarantees I will be given ESA after that). I've also applied for PIP (because I've been v ill and have multiple functional impairments due to my condition). I know that if I'm granted ESA and PIP and retain my 'Part-time' student status then I will satisfy the 'not being a full time student' requirement that enables me to be eligible for ESA and as someone who claims benefits I should be eligible for Housing benefit- but it all seems so precarious!!! I wish life was simpler!
I'm also finding it hard to get the right information, I'm a carer looking after my autistic son and will be starting my access course in September but have been told I will have to quit carers allowance and can't claim any other benefits whilst studying. Has anyone else been through this or have any info, any help would be useful.
Original post by mature35
I'm also finding it hard to get the right information, I'm a carer looking after my autistic son and will be starting my access course in September but have been told I will have to quit carers allowance and can't claim any other benefits whilst studying. Has anyone else been through this or have any info, any help would be useful.

I also have an autistic child, and have just completed an Access course. I continued to claim Income Support and Carer's Allowance during the year. It seems to hinge on how many hours you do in the classroom. They don't take homework into account when deciding if you are full-time or part-time. If you get Income Support, then you should phone the JobCentre to let them know. Once you start university, you will lose both, but the student loans/grants add up to more anyway.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
I also have an autistic child, and have just completed an Access course. I continued to claim Income Support and Carer's Allowance during the year. It seems to hinge on how many hours you do in the classroom. They don't take homework into account when deciding if you are full-time or part-time. If you get Income Support, then you should phone the JobCentre to let them know. Once you start university, you will lose both, but the student loans/grants add up to more anyway.

Thanks for the message, I don't get income support so that part doesn't matter, how many hours are you allowed in the classroom and I'm guessing you take out any breaks such as dinner? I contacted student finance England and they said they couldn't help, then I contacted the college and they said they might help with a bus pass but I have to wait until September and see if they have the funds. When I spoke to the DWP, Carers allowance they said any access course would lose me the allowance but when I looked online it said it depends and to contact them. Like I said, I'm getting conflicting info, so thanks again for your help.
The cut-off is 16 hours per week IIRC. Your college may be able to provide you with a suitable timetable to send to the Carer's Allowance people, so it's worth having a word with them about it. It does exclude dinner time - only contact hours.
(edited 9 years ago)
The cut-off is 16 hours per week IIRC. Your college may be able to provide you with a suitable timetable to send to the Carer's Allowance people, so it's worth having a word with them about it. It does exclude dinner time - only contact hours.

Thanks for the info, I have my enrolment on the 12th so I'll ask about contact hours then. I know that I'm there Mon, Tues, Weds 9.30 til 3.30 which is 18 hours but until the 12th I don't know about contact. Thanks again fot your help, I'll let you know how it goes.
That sounds like it will be under 16 hours. Good luck - i hope you get it.
That sounds like it will be under 16 hours. Good luck - i hope you get it.

College were very unhelpful, gave me a timetable for first week but then told me it would change after that and couldn't tell me how many hours it would be, first week is only 11.5 hours. Also told me I would have to wait until then before they would offer any help with transport costs, if they decide to offer any help. Just have to wait and see!
I was told at my interview by my prospective tutor that they say the course is 16 hours and keep it to that to make it so people can afford to live, work or continue claiming benefits etc.

I'm on ESA and DLA and Housing - for as far as I am aware, I will remain entitled to that still.

However, with ESA, you have to have to be unwell and unable to work due to sickness, and have medical evidence to back that up. With DLA/PIP, you have to have been so unwell for 3 or 6 months. I think it used to be 3 and that now it is 6.

I know though, that if you are on JSA it is more difficult. My partner did an Access course whilst claiming JSA (should've been on ESA) and it was a real nightmare - but then their advisor was a real piece of work. (and told her that is she felt like she was going to have an epileptic seizure she could just go in the corner, do it, then go back to work so what was the problem with working in a nightclub?) *facepalm*
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mature35
College were very unhelpful, gave me a timetable for first week but then told me it would change after that and couldn't tell me how many hours it would be, first week is only 11.5 hours. Also told me I would have to wait until then before they would offer any help with transport costs, if they decide to offer any help. Just have to wait and see!

I'm sorry they weren't helpful. Still, the 11.5 hour timetable could be useful - no need to tell the benefits people that it's subject to change.
I'm sorry they weren't helpful. Still, the 11.5 hour timetable could be useful - no need to tell the benefits people that it's subject to change.

I'll wait until the hours increase before informing them, you know what its like, if you inform in advance it only causes more problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending