The Student Room Group

'Straight white guy festival' causes controversy

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/23/straight-white-guy-festival-sparks-controversy-4807716/

So apparently there were flyers for a festival solely for white straight guys. It may not even be a real thing but nevertheless it has stirred some controversy.

What are you thoughts?

Personally I think such a festival is stupid and pointless but I don't understand the anger towards it. It's not like it's mlpromoting hate at anyone? (As far as we can tell)

Scroll to see replies

With all the hatred directed at straight white males by the politically correct power structure, it was only a matter of time until people started rebelling against it. This doesn't sound real though. Sounds like a satire.
What's the problem with this? Homosexuals are allowed to be proud of their sexuality, blacks are allowed to be proud of their race, but when straight white guys do the same it's suddenly wrong?
Reply 3
I understand the point. Everyone else has a festival why can't we?
I feel like this is just a facetious, bitter attempt at proving a point.
Original post by Harvey Dent
What's the problem with this? Homosexuals are allowed to be proud of their sexuality, blacks are allowed to be proud of their race, but when straight white guys do the same it's suddenly wrong?

The point of Pride though, is that homosexuals, bisexuals, transgender etc were made to feel ashamed for who they are. Pride is a festival that says you should be proud of who you are.
Straight cis men have never been made to feel ashamed for who they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Straight white guys don't need to because they haven't been victimised on the same scale as non male, non straight and/or non white people have.
Reply 6

It's different.

But on topic, i think this is just some joke to stir people :P
Sounds like a bit of a joke to me. If they're so straight they'd include white women too or else it would be a sausage fest.
Original post by Lucy_Noble
Straight white guys don't need to because they haven't been victimised on the same scale as non male, non straight and/or non white people have.

Original post by lucybuckleyy
The point of Pride though, is that homosexuals, bisexuals, transgender etc were made to feel ashamed for who they are. Pride is a festival that says you should be proud of who you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to have been victimed to want to celebrate and take pride in who you are. It's like national pride - British people can still celebrate Britishness just because they want to.

But does that mean they're not allowed to be proud of who they are?
Original post by ldsbabe
I understand the point. Everyone else has a festival why can't we?
I feel like this is just a facetious, bitter attempt at proving a point.

I agree but I think it's time we packed the likes of the MOBOs away
Original post by TheAnusFiles
I agree but I think it's time we packed the likes of the MOBOs away

Why? White people can and have won them.
I think Ed Sheeran won like 1Extras black and urban music artist the other day or some bull**** like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if that were true, what would it have to do with it?
Original post by ldsbabe
Why? White people can and have won them.
I think Ed Sheeran won like 1Extras black and urban music artist the other day or some bull**** like that.

But we don't need to have awards for people of different races. It's divisive
Reply 14
Original post by michaelhaych

Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously for it, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ever been on tumblr?
Reply 16
Original post by imtelling
With all the hatred directed at straight white males by the politically correct power structure, it was only a matter of time until people started rebelling against it. This doesn't sound real though. Sounds like a satire.

Are you not aware that it is largely straight white males who rule over us and dictate the laws to which we live?
Original post by michaelhaych

No, of course not. However being straight has always been okay, no one has to spread a message that says "hey, it's okay to be straight". Pride is trying to get the message across to as many people as possible that no one should be ashamed of their sexuality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mackemforever
Ever been on tumblr?

Yes, but that's a group of unintelligent 14 year olds who are whiny piss babies. I would say homosexuals etc have had it a lot worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can imagine it being so horrendously boring really

(I am straight and White and male btw)

You go there, there's gonna be these middle aged guys in cargo shorts, wearing fanny packs, drinking lukewarm beer, trying to tell you about fishing and "the old days"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending