The Student Room Group

NHS Funding for Irish Student

Hi all, i'm sure this question has been asked before, however i'm new here so please help me out!!

I'm strongly considering applying for Midwifery in 2015 at UWE, I believe this is an NHS funded course, I'm a 25 year old irish citizen currently living in Ireland. I am zero connections to the UK as it stands and I've already obtained a degree from an Irish Uni.

Will I be eligible for any funding or assistance with paying my fees. I believe the fees for midwifery this year are £9,000 so i'm pretty certain if i'm not eligible for any financial help then I will not be able to afford to study in the uk. Sadly I don't have £27,000 laying in my back pocket.

If anyone has any information that can ease my mind, then please please please let me know!

Thanks in advance,

T-Con :smile:
Original post by TrinaCon
Hi all, i'm sure this question has been asked before, however i'm new here so please help me out!!

I'm strongly considering applying for Midwifery in 2015 at UWE, I believe this is an NHS funded course, I'm a 25 year old irish citizen currently living in Ireland. I am zero connections to the UK as it stands and I've already obtained a degree from an Irish Uni.

Will I be eligible for any funding or assistance with paying my fees. I believe the fees for midwifery this year are £9,000 so i'm pretty certain if i'm not eligible for any financial help then I will not be able to afford to study in the uk. Sadly I don't have £27,000 laying in my back pocket.

If anyone has any information that can ease my mind, then please please please let me know!

Thanks in advance,

T-Con :smile:

You should be eligible for the NHS to pay your tuition fees providing you have lived in the EU/EEA for three years prior to the start date of the course. You won't be eligible for any help towards living costs.
Reply 2
Ah okay I thought I had to live in the UK for three years prior. I've always lived in Ireland so the dream is still alive :smile: I've contacted the NHS about this anyways, thank you so much for your help :smile:

There is a difference between the NHS bursary and the payment of tuition fees
Original post by jelly1000
There is a difference between the NHS bursary and the payment of tuition fees

I know that. The OP is entitled to the free tuition fees, but not the bursary. The OP said 'I believe the fees for midwifery this year are £9,000 so i'm pretty certain if i'm not eligible for any financial help then I will not be able to afford to study in the uk. Sadly I don't have £27,000 laying in my back pocket.'

The link says:

An EU national on the first day of the first academic year of the course who is ordinarily resident in the EEA/Switzerland and attending an eligible course in England (entitled to tuition fee support only).

Reply 6
Thanks for the information guys! The NHS replied and told me from the info I've given them I'll be eligible for tuition fees only which is more than fine by me. Are those fees then paid back to the NHS once you start working or do you have to guarantee the NHS a certain amount of years work, if that makes sense.
Original post by TrinaCon
Thanks for the information guys! The NHS replied and told me from the info I've given them I'll be eligible for tuition fees only which is more than fine by me. Are those fees then paid back to the NHS once you start working or do you have to guarantee the NHS a certain amount of years work, if that makes sense.

You don't pay any fees at all; you don't need to pay them back to the NHS. You're never charged for them in the first place and never will be. You don't have to work for the NHS for a certain amount of years either; you could never work for them after you graduate and still not have to pay anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending