The Student Room Group

Can you ask a girl out 8 years later?

If you met and fell for a girl 8 years ago at an exchange event, got on really well with her, but lost her number... and then by chance find out she works in the same city as you now, would it all right to go and find her and ask her out?

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like a rom-com.
How I met the one
Reply 3
Original post by joker12345
Sounds like a rom-com.

Haha yeah I know, that's what my friends say. It's true though. I was head over heels for her, but didn't have the courage to ask her out then!

But she's in my town now! Found out whilst my friend was browsing through linkedin.
Should I?

And how do I casually meet her now?
Genuinely sounds like a plot for a film to be honest...
Reply 5
Original post by ryan9900
Genuinely sounds like a plot for a film to be honest...

I know I feel like my life is like a film sometimes... but I'm stuck in the middle nervous which road to turn to, with the (hopefully happy) ending hidden far away!
Original post by pshah2
Haha yeah I know, that's what my friends say. It's true though. I was head over heels for her, but didn't have the courage to ask her out then!

But she's in my town now! Found out whilst my friend was browsing through linkedin.
Should I?

And how do I casually meet her now?

You've got nothing to lose, I'd say GP for it!
How are you going to find her though? A city is a big place.
Reply 7

That is true. Ntl!

Trouble is I never got her number back then at the conference and I'm not on fb or anything.

That is a bit of an issue. I think she worked part-time at an upmarket restaurant. Now she has changed jobs, but it looks like an international travel one. My friend looked her up on fb and she definitely still lives in London.

No idea how to narrow the search down!

And what do I say if I find her/bump into her by coincidence?

We got on so well 8 years ago even if it was for a short period of time. But I left things a bit abrupt when I saw her cos I was so nervous, I feel like a fool now for it.

Help me TSR bro, you're my only hope haha.
Reply 8

Also I managed to narrow it down to this city from the whole of Europe, so it's a start!
Reply 9
I think Ross asked Rachel out after 8 or so years so go ahead

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trustno1
I think Ross asked Rachel out after 8 or so years so go ahead

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is actually a great example. So there's hope yet haha!

But Ross knew exactly where Rachel was.. and Ted had Barney..

If only I just bumped into her!
Sounds like a rom-com.

This!

If you have any way of getting in contact with her, I'd go for it OP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by bumblebee342
This!

If you have any way of getting in contact with her, I'd go for it OP

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definite romcom. If nothing else, I'm drafting a script for a film to be released Valentine's Day 2016.

How do I get in contact with her now? I think she worked part-time at an upmarket restaurant. Now she has changed jobs, but she still lives in London. Who knows, I might have even bumped into her on St. Patrick's Day like Ted Mosby!

And what do I say if I find her/bump into her by coincidence?

We got on so well 8 years ago even if it was for a short period of time. But I left things a bit abrupt when I saw her cos I was so nervous, I feel like a fool now for it.

Help me TSR, you're my only hope haha.
Reply 13

Agreed, but how to find her? She worked at a restaurant according to her social profile, but has since moved on.. all I know is that she lives somewhere in the city!

What would I say to her if I did find her?
I don't know how the website works, but if she's on Linkedin is there anyway of contacting her on that?
Reply 15
Original post by syrettd
I don't know how the website works, but if she's on Linkedin is there anyway of contacting her on that?

Yeah I don't use it myself. My friend and I saw it whilst using it to find someone at work.

I don't think you can use it like texting though.. but I'm not sure that's how I would want to re-meet her.. I mean would that be the best way after 8 yrs?

I think face to face would evoke a better emotional response.. but then again I'm not sure how I would bump into her in a city of millions!
Original post by pshah2
Yeah I don't use it myself. My friend and I saw it whilst using it to find someone at work.

I don't think you can use it like texting though.. but I'm not sure that's how I would want to re-meet her.. I mean would that be the best way after 8 yrs?

I think face to face would evoke a better emotional response.. but then again I'm not sure how I would bump into her in a city of millions!

To be honest, unless you bumped into her accidentally, it might creep her out if you deliberately tracked her down to meet her in person after no contact for EIGHT years... I'd find some way of contacting her, maybe her profile has her email address or something on it, asking if she remembers you and that you've noticed she's in London now- would she like to meet for a catch up?

Also, I hate to be a buzzkill, but do you know for sure she's single? Eight years is a long time.
Reply 17
Original post by syrettd
To be honest, unless you bumped into her accidentally, it might creep her out if you deliberately tracked her down to meet her in person after no contact for EIGHT years... I'd find some way of contacting her, maybe her profile has her email address or something on it, asking if she remembers you and that you've noticed she's in London now- would she like to meet for a catch up?

Also, I hate to be a buzzkill, but do you know for sure she's single? Eight years is a long time.

Haha no problem,

Yeah I agree, she is quite outgoing, so I was hoping just running into her accidentally and saying hi. I think she would remember me face to face. She had a bf 8 years ago, but from her profile pics, appears to be single now. To be honest, I would just want to be in her life, even if it's just friends. She was awesome.

I get what you mean. A better ice breaker might be to go the social media route. But.. setting up a profile which I don't have in the first place and having zero friends since it's a new profile and then contacting her might not send the best impression though..

Trouble is I operate mainly on the phone. I don't use any fb or anything like that!
What to do?!!
Go for it, you have nothing to lose! If it works out, you have your happily ever after. If it doesn't work out, atleast you won't live in a state of 'what if...'
Original post by pshah2
Haha no problem,

Yeah I agree, she is quite outgoing, so I was hoping just running into her accidentally and saying hi. I think she would remember me face to face. She had a bf 8 years ago, but from her profile pics, appears to be single now. To be honest, I would just want to be in her life, even if it's just friends. She was awesome.

I get what you mean. A better ice breaker might be to go the social media route. But.. setting up a profile which I don't have in the first place and having zero friends since it's a new profile and then contacting her might not send the best impression though..

Trouble is I operate mainly on the phone. I don't use any fb or anything like that!
What to do?!!

Unless you're willing to set up a profile and add some people, I guess you're in a bit of a sticky situation. Even that's kind of a little bit weird, though not as weird as "accidentally" running into someone you used to know. But you might be out of options. If your friend looked at her Linkedin profile, did he find any sort of details on there, like an email or a mobile number?

Quick Reply

Latest