The Student Room Group

Can international students make money with apps?

Hello,

I’m new to this site and this is my first thread.

I’m an international student and I am planning on developing an app and sell it in the App Store.

I’ve been wondering if international students can do that in the UK.

Is it legal for us to make money with apps?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Ali40
Hello,

I’m new to this site and this is my first thread.

I’m an international student and I am planning on developing an app and sell it in the App Store.

I’ve been wondering if international students can do that in the UK.

Is it legal for us to make money with apps?

Thanks

I suspect so as you would need to declare money earnt to HMRC which would involve you setting up as self employed which to do that you would need a National insurance number whicj I assume you don't have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
I suspect so as you would need to declare money earnt to HMRC which would involve you setting up as self employed which to do that you would need a National insurance number whicj I assume you don't have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very logical answer but if OP decides to sell apps on Apple store then how will tax related departments know it?

OP: I won't recommend you to do anything that can cause a trouble for you in UK. BTW, can you setup an account by giving your home address? If yes then I don't think you will face any problem?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ana81

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't know I have to do that. If I have to do it, then it is impossible to do this kind of thing as an overseas student.
Reply 4
Original post by universal_set
Very logical answer but if OP decides to sell apps on Apple store then how will tax related departments know it?

OP: I won't recommend you to do anything that can cause a trouble for you in UK. BTW, can you setup an account by giving your home address? If yes then I don't think you will face any problem?

No, I dont think that's possible to setup an account with my home address.
Is there any alternative solution to this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
You can code as much as you want and pay no tax

Any time you spend selling the app is classed as work
Reply 6
One more thing to add is that I have already joined the Apple developer program and everything is set. All I need to do is to develop and submit my app. So, they haven't asked for things like a national insurance number etc.
Reply 7
Original post by universal_set

well no not if hes going to earn a few quid but Im sure if he was turning over grands it would need to be declared and to be fair HMRC want to know about ever penny you make.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
well no not if hes going to earn a few quid but Im sure if he was turning over grands it would need to be declared and to be fair HMRC want to know about ever penny you make.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.
That makes sense.
Reply 9
So, is there any concrete answer to this? I am really stuck in the middle thinking whether to go for it or to not do it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest