The Student Room Group

Completely humiliated and defeated after telesales 'interview'

I wanted to post this anonymously but I don't know how so **** it!. I graduated from University with a 2.1 in June and have been unemployed since. I got invited to a telesales 'interview' today. They didn't tell me if it was a 'group' assessment and that there wasn't even a job guaranteed at the end. I prepared all night for potential questions they might throw at me for nothing. I had to perform a 'role play' with someone else who was much older and very experienced while one of the 'assessors' took notes. Afterwards we were told to sit back down and while everyone was sitting around the table the assessors took us out one by one. I was the first to be taken out and given 'feedback'. I was basically told I was crap. I had to walk back in to the room with everyone sitting down, get my bag and walk out again. I felt so humiliated. I had to fight back tears on the way out because of how low I have sunk and how depressed I've become.I wasted 15 pounds getting to that interview. I suffer with anxiety so it took a lot for me to go to that interview.

I'm claiming JSA and living on £25 a week, my physical and mental health has deteriorated and I haven't had any kind of fun in months. The job center treat me like scum and force me to go to' 'basic skills' classes and are trying to get me to work for free. I stare at a computer screen all day, applying for about 30 jobs a day while my inbox gets filled with rejection emails. I've sunk so low after finishing University and I feel completely worthless.

I want a career in the civil service (not grad position) but it's incredibly hard to get into to. I lack experience. And I'm in a catch 22.

At the moment I feel like I'm completely lost :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ok, 1 - you can't go anon in this part of the forum,
2 - if you're on JSA you can claim assistance to get to interviews, so don't pay out of your own pocket again.
3 - don't take it personally. Getting the first rung on the employment ladder is not easy.
4 - try and get any job you can right now. Even retail. Just do something while you're looking for something else.
5 - when it comes to applications, focus on quality, not quantity. Don't send off 30 applications a day when the chances are you're not making them as good as you should.
6 - get in touch with agencies like Brook St.
What is your degree in?
Best advice I can give you is contact with your university careers adviser and discuss the issue you got, they will be able to help you to prepare for interview session, CV check, etc.
Rejection hurts, and these type of interviews suck balls.

Dude don't worry about it, you weren't prepared for what was going to happen. They said you were crap based on the fact you didn't perform well on the day, that doesn't mean you're useless and equally it doesn't mean you couldn't do the job.

It's hard not to feel down after being rejected especially since you know you underperformed. But just keep your chin up and don't dwell on it. I know it's easier said than done but the issue here is more the fact that it's playing on your mind rather than you're not capable.

Just keep applying and use this as interview experience.
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
Ok, 1 - you can't go anon in this part of the forum,
2 - if you're on JSA you can claim assistance to get to interviews, so don't pay out of your own pocket again.
3 - don't take it personally. Getting the first rung on the employment ladder is not easy.
4 - try and get any job you can right now. Even retail. Just do something while you're looking for something else.
5 - when it comes to applications, focus on quality, not quantity. Don't send off 30 applications a day when the chances are you're not making them as good as you should.
6 - get in touch with agencies like Brook St.

Thanks for your advice.

I'll look into the help that I can get.

I am looking for anything I can get at the moment. Though even McDonalds, Asda and Greggs rejected me before even getting to the interview stage!. It's just insane.

Thanks, I'll have a lot at the agencies.
Reply 6
How did you get rejected from mcdonalds, people at college who don't even have level 3 qualifications can get jobs there.
Reply 7
Original post by Last Day Lepers
Rejection hurts, and these type of interviews suck balls.

Dude don't worry about it, you weren't prepared for what was going to happen. They said you were crap based on the fact you didn't perform well on the day, that doesn't mean you're useless and equally it doesn't mean you couldn't do the job.

It's hard not to feel down after being rejected especially since you know you underperformed. But just keep your chin up and don't dwell on it. I know it's easier said than done but the issue here is more the fact that it's playing on your mind rather than you're not capable.

Just keep applying and use this as interview experience.

Reply 8
Original post by Costalo
I wanted to post this anonymously but I don't know how so **** it!. I graduated from University with a 2.1 in June and have been unemployed since. I got invited to a telesales 'interview' today. They didn't tell me if it was a 'group' assessment and that there wasn't even a job guaranteed at the end. I prepared all night for potential questions they might throw at me for nothing. I had to perform a 'role play' with someone else who was much older and very experienced while one of the 'assessors' took notes. Afterwards we were told to sit back down and while everyone was sitting around the table the assessors took us out one by one. I was the first to be taken out and given 'feedback'. I was basically told I was crap. I had to walk back in to the room with everyone sitting down, get my bag and walk out again. I felt so humiliated. I had to fight back tears on the way out because of how low I have sunk and how depressed I've become.I wasted 15 pounds getting to that interview. I suffer with anxiety so it took a lot for me to go to that interview.

I'm claiming JSA and living on £25 a week, my physical and mental health has deteriorated and I haven't had any kind of fun in months. The job center treat me like scum and force me to go to' 'basic skills' classes and are trying to get me to work for free. I stare at a computer screen all day, applying for about 30 jobs a day while my inbox gets filled with rejection emails. I've sunk so low after finishing University and I feel completely worthless.

I want a career in the civil service (not grad position) but it's incredibly hard to get into to. I lack experience. And I'm in a catch 22.

I had a telesales interview where the woman started laughing at me; No joke..

My advice would be to volunteer everywhere to gain experience.
Reply 9
Original post by benzos
How did you get rejected from mcdonalds, people at college who don't even have level 3 qualifications can get jobs there.

they consider him over qualified.
Reply 10
Original post by Costalo
Thanks for your advice.

I am looking for anything I can get at the moment. Though even McDonalds, Asda and Greggs rejected me before even getting to the interview stage!. It's just insane.

sorry to hear about your problems.

the trouble is you have a degree(dont know what in) and a 2:1 at that so you go for graduate jobs but they have endless applicants so you apply for non graduate but they reject you because your over Qualified.

theres no easy answer youll just have to keep going, as some said you can get help with interviews.

good luck.
Reply 11
Original post by Wee.Guy
sorry to hear about your problems.

the trouble is you have a degree(dont know what in) and a 2:1 at that so you go for graduate jobs but they have endless applicants so you apply for non graduate but they reject you because your over Qualified.

theres no easy answer youll just have to keep going, as some said you can get help with interviews.

good luck.

Thanks. I'll keep applying and hopefully I'll get offered something!.
Reply 12
Original post by Costalo
Thanks for your advice.

Im not joking when I say this but depending on where you live in the country I could definitely get you a job though you would earn minimum wage... this is not an online sales job or anything its a physical company which pays hourly but its not for everyone. I usually dont give people on here the time of day and at first I was laughing at your post till I read futher and realised I've been exactly where you've been even was on tabs for anxiety, got no help from the job centre either. my job changed my life I will pretty much step to anything and my anxiety has gone. as much as I dislike the line of work im in its helped me alot. if you want to know more PM me, if not good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The jobs market is tough. Interviews and assessments for telesales can be especially difficult but feel disheartened. It's a learning curve for you so jump back on the horse and keep going. Best of luck my friend.
Telesales is horrific, trust me Ive done it long enough , it sucks getting rejected but don't feel bad you didn't get that job.

Finding a job in this market can be immensely difficult trust me I have two degrees (1st and 2:1) a varied job history and production qualifications and I can't find a job at the moment either and I know it get's worse the longer your out of work, seems like you are unemployable and you get paranoid about what you are doing wrong.

I have just landed two months unpaid work experience in the Civil Service because I approached my Advisor and specifically asked if there were any oppertuniites in government agencies and asked to be alerted directly as soon as anything came up.
It shows motivation and it gets you first pickings of oppertunities if you approach them with ideas as opposed to your advisor picking out courses you don't really want to do or don't need, if you want to work for the Civil Service you could maybe try doing the same thing?

Bite the bullet for a few months and work for free, but gain viable experience and recommendations for future applications or positions?
Original post by Costalo

Really sorry to hear about your experience. My boyfriend worked in sales (investment broking rather than telesales but still), and it really is dog-eat-dog. The managers want people who will make them money, end-off - supporting professional progression or ensuring a positive, non-stressful work environment just doesn't come into it, so I reckon you've probably had a lucky escape (though I appreciate this doesn't make the experience any less unpleasant).

One thing I would say, and I say this a lot on here, is that if you're applying for 30 jobs a day, you're doing it wrong. Every job application should be tailored to the job you're applying for - it's just not possible to do 30 good, tailored applications a day. Go for quality over quantity - research the companies you're applying for and find some way to subtly demonstrate that you've done so in your application. Look at the person spec carefully and make sure your application clearly demonstrates how you meet each point with specific examples from your previous experience: saying e.g. 'I work well in teams' is meaningless in and of itself - you need to include a specific example.

I receive CVs and cover letters, and conduct interviews, as part of my job and can honestly tell you that if I had to choose between someone with a strong CV/great experience but a clearly generic cover letter/personal statement and someone with a slight weaker CV/less relevant experience but a great cover letter/personal statement that demonstrated a genuine interest for the role, and clearly explained how the skills gain in their previous experience could transfer, I would always go for the latter.

Hope that helps and best of luck.
Original post by benzos

That is why they get there.
Sorry to hear you're annoyed,

Just remember you're starting out so expect to not do so well for the first couple. Tailoring the interview is a skill in itself and the more interviews you do, the more you learn how to do it. Eventually you know what kind of motivations and catchphrases they're looking for and you can see the interviewers face light up as you wrattle them off. In sales they love it when you talk about how ambitious, competitive and money-motivated you are for example.

Group interviews suck, it's no secret. I've noticed these seem to be conducted by recruiters with massive egos who fancy themselves as failed showmen. The plus side though is you can see what the successful candidates did and emulate it when you have your next interview.

You might want to consider if a sales job is right for you (seeing as you suffer from anxiety) since they're generally looking for ruthless, resilient, social-animals who can get up and do a presentation at a moments notice. I'm grappling with whether to go into sales work myself. On one hand, I like how it's merit-based with potentially limitless earnings but I hate how insincere it all is.
Reply 18
June ? expect up to a a year of being treated like that. This is the modern job market.

On a more positive note: you will become desensitized - this will make you more confident as your expectations and emotional investment in getting anything you apply for will be lowered more and more.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you're in Yorkshire PM me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending