The Student Room Group

So I complimented a girl.....

And she almost freaked out! I think she was surprised initially then she acted weird, not the usual 'thanks' it was almost as though I'd called her ugly! Girls have you ever reacted like this? I wish I'd never bothered, all I said was you look nice :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fjm001
And she almost freaked out! I think she was surprised initially then she acted weird, not the usual 'thanks' it was almost as though I'd called her ugly! Girls have you ever reacted like this? I wish I'd never bothered, all I said was you look nice :confused:

She might have been expecting a compliment. Don't be put off from doing that though!
Also, are you a boy or girl?? :smile:

Edit: Oh yeah, what did you say too?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
What did you say and how did you say it?
Original post by fjm001

Never compliment women. Even if you know them really well. They will automatically take it as if you are pointing out their every flaw. Only tell them they look nice when they ask you to.
Maybe she thought you were being sarcastic, or maybe she's embarrassed/doesn't take compliments very well.
I used to be very insecure and whenever a boy liked me or complimented me I would be convinced he was joking or being sarcastic.

Edit: Maybe she thought you were implying that she doesn't usually look nice :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
that's women for ya
Are you ugly? Not being harsh, but compliments from ugly people are more likely to be taken as creepy instead of the nice way they were intended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by DiddyDec
Never compliment women. Even if you know them really well. They will automatically take it as if you are pointing out their every flaw. Only tell them they look nice when they ask you to.

That's some **** advice.
Maybe it was unexpected, bad timing or she thinks you think of her in that way and she doesn't think of you like that which freaked her out. :dontknow:
Reply 10
Original post by Arithmeticae
Are you ugly? Not being harsh, but compliments from ugly people are more likely to be taken as creepy instead of the nice way they were intended.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finally, someone with a brain commented.

OP, were you trying to flirt with her? Or did you just say it out of nowhere? You have to say it in the right way...
She probs doesn't get complimented much and was startled when you hit on her.
She was probably a feminist. Don't feel bad about it not all girls are like that
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AnharM
That's some **** advice.

Just look at this thread, complementing women is a minefield of possible errors, everything from "it might be because you're ugly" to "she thought you were implying she didn't look nice the day before".
Reply 14
Just look at this thread, complementing women is a minefield of possible errors, everything from "it might be because you're ugly" to "she thought you were implying she didn't look nice the day before".

No, guys can compliment girls, but it's the way he said it that probably took her back. If they were fooling around and flirting beforehand, and you two are laughing with each other and stuff, then it will be cool. If he just came out with it out of nowhere, then it would take any girl back.
Original post by AnharM
No, guys can compliment girls, but it's the way he said it that probably took her back. If they were fooling around and flirting beforehand, and you two are laughing with each other and stuff, then it will be cool. If he just came out with it out of nowhere, then it would take any girl back.

It is not worth the hassle in my opinion. If they want your opinion they will ask you for it.
Reply 16
It is not worth the hassle in my opinion. If they want your opinion they will ask you for it.

That's just a stupid advice. Good luck with getting any girls mate.
Original post by AnharM
That's just a stupid advice. Good luck with getting any girls mate.

Lucky for me I don't do relationships. But one night stands are easy, you just drunk and see where it takes you.
Original post by AnharM

Yeah i agree with this, if a guy compliments me out of nowhere it can catch me off guard, i can take compliments from girls fairly well but from guys i can get a bit embarrassed.

Also it depends on what you said, if you blurted out 'You're hot' it can take a girl back as opposed to saying 'I like the way you did your hair today'.
If the compliment was like nice ass/ tits....then it's not a compliment.

We need more info.

Quick Reply

Latest