The Student Room Group

Does anybody else dislike university

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I hope I enjoy university! Stick it out, you'll get a good career at the end of it. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to hear you're unhappy OP, hope this year goes a bit better! Is there any way of changing where you're living?

People sometimes assume that if you like your course and put yourself out there, you'll enjoy yourself (which may be the case for some people!). I think to be completely happy though, you need to be living somewhere you're comfortable and surround yourself with decent people.
I found when I was most unhappy this year, it was when I was sat in my room feeling homesick, having not joined any societies and hearing groups of people go out whilst my friends stayed in. Some of the best times I had were when I was incredibly busy, whether it was going out or doing other stuff.
Reply 62
Original post by TurboCretin
Partly because chances are your closest friend lives 15-20 mins walk away, partly because everything worth doing in London is also miles away and costs half your student loan when you get there.

I'm exaggerating (slightly) - I went to UCL and had a great three years, but living the student life in London is less amenable to spontaneity.

I don't think you are exaggerating at all. I did a term at in London, and hated it, it was hard to have an anchor of friends/acquaintances, and the cost of everything made your eyes bleed! I just don't know how students can afford to do it!?
Original post by FIG2013
I don't think you are exaggerating at all. I did a term at in London, and hated it, it was hard to have an anchor of friends/acquaintances, and the cost of everything made your eyes bleed! I just don't know how students can afford to do it!?

I was lucky that an acquaintance from school ended up there, so although the people in my halls were reclusive Asian students I was able to go to his halls and join his friendship circle there. Also lucky that someone in that circle was on a related degree to mine, so I saw her a lot in the department too. Without those coincidences, my friendship circle would probably have been a lot more disjointed.

And when we clubbed together to form a house in years 2-3, we all tended to work a lot. The expense of London wasn't as huge a deal for us from that perspective, but for those who want to have a 'typical' student experience of going out clubbing every other night, be prepared to live on baked beans.

I went to Bristol after UCL, and that was a lot better suited to the student lifestyle.
Reply 64
Original post by TurboCretin
I was lucky that an acquaintance from school ended up there, so although the people in my halls were reclusive Asian students I was able to go to his halls and join his friendship circle there. Also lucky that someone in that circle was on a related degree to mine, so I saw her a lot in the department too. Without those coincidences, my friendship circle would probably have been a lot more disjointed.

And when we clubbed together to form a house in years 2-3, we all tended to work a lot. The expense of London wasn't as huge a deal for us from that perspective, but for those who want to have a 'typical' student experience of going out clubbing every other night, be prepared to live on baked beans.

I went to Bristol after UCL, and that was a lot better suited to the student lifestyle.

Oh I see, well I guess things were easier for you then. That said my friends who are still at various University of London Colleges, complain the halls were spread far and wide, some as far as Surrey, and even if you did make friends, from disparate halls, then in years 2 and beyond people became even more disconnected, so it was important to perhaps"force" relationships early on.

I hear good things about Bristol as a University City, what was it like? Was in not a bit small though, by comparison to say Leeds, Birmingham, or Manchester!?
OP - change where you're living, jeez.

This situation is NOT right.
Original post by SillyMilly
I just find people at university really judgemental and I just don't fit in at all. But then I feel worse as everybody seems to be having an amazing time, there all saying they cant wait to go back in September and im dreading it.

If I recall correctly, your username rings true to a user who goes to Reading University. Is this true? I'm at Reading also and it has been great.

Edit: Just read you hang around with a few people from Law. I've heard they are nothing but *****.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by FIG2013
Oh I see, well I guess things were easier for you then. That said my friends who are still at various University of London Colleges, complain the halls were spread far and wide, some as far as Surrey, and even if you did make friends, from disparate halls, then in years 2 and beyond people became even more disconnected, so it was important to perhaps"force" relationships early on.

I hear good things about Bristol as a University City, what was it like? Was in not a bit small though, by comparison to say Leeds, Birmingham, or Manchester!?

I can only really speak for my own experience, as I haven't really kept in touch with school friends who went to other universities. UCL halls weren't as bad as that - mine was one of the furthest halls from campus and that was only about 20 mins walk. On that topic, it makes me laugh reading about Oxbridge colleges being 'far away' from things when you can walk across the whole university area in about half an hour.

Bristol's a great university city. There are swathes of nice residential housing near to the university (if you can afford the location, although it's still only 2/3 of London rent). There is enough 'stuff' (clubs, places to eat, Sainsbury's etc.) nucleated around/among the university campus that you could easily spend three years within a 500 metre radius of your house if you really wanted to. Equally, there are a lot of great locations to explore outside the immediate campus area. It's a perfect mix in my view, although no area is quite as bustling as central London.

As I say, it's difficult comment on how Bristol compares to Leeds, Birmingham etc. as I've only made fleeting visits to those places. It feels a bit smaller, based on my experience, although that was a plus for me. London was a bit full-on as a student. Can't wait to live there as a young professional, though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 68
I hated uni. I seriously only had a good time when I was with one particular friend and we'd meet up before classes. That being said, I studied and travelled from home each day and the class times meant I was coming in on the busy train to Edinburgh in the morning with all the business folk, wasting hours between classes, then leaving at 6pm in time for the peak time rush. I joined societies but there was little point seeing as I was wiped out from all the travelling so I wasn't there in the evenings and I worked at weekends. Also, I didn't feel like I fit in with most people there and my main friend went abroad for her final year so that was torture.

There's a lot of pressure to enjoy uni life but honestly unless you are really fortunate and have a good circle of friends, little to stress about (jobs, accommodation, homesickness) and a good social scene in the town/city, it's unlikely you'll LOVE uni.

My advice is keep yourself busy - attend classes and do all the mandatory stuff but also find people in the area you do fit in with. I found people who weren't necessarily students. Trust me; you aren't alone. There are many others at your uni who feel the same and feel just as dejected about it. A friend I made a year after graduating said he hated uni but he loved Lord of the Rings so he printed out 200 flyers and stuck them on buildings early one morning. That weekend a bunch of people turned up at a local cafe to talk about the books and movies and he still is close to a few people he met that day. Another friend decided to get another job and by the time the school year ended she had enough money to go on a month's holiday to New Zealand, so she considers herself lucky to have turned a bad situation into an opportunity.

That being said I really hope you have a better year this year. There is a way to enjoy uni life but sometimes it is so difficult to figure out what that way is. Good luck!
Meh, I just kind of scrape by like I do with everything in life :moon:
Hate it

I've never liked it, even when I tried to stay positive and get involved. I didn't drop out before because I wanted to see if it got better. Couldn't give a toss about the course or assignments, all that matters to me is I get a pass. The only thing that is keeping me going is how I'll feel at the end that it's over (and education in general :woo:) and hopefully there will be opportunities after

To be fair I really enjoy working part time. It's not complicated, you go in and do your hours, come home and that's it for the day. I don't think I'm an academic person because in high school and sixth form I did enough to scrape by and got good grades with help from teachers

I just think it's really babyish, I can't describe. Like you're being subsidised to read books and write essays and suddenly you're entitled to a good job after. Also the superiority complex that you've "made it" if you have a degree. OH well it won't last forever

And OP those girls sound like utter bitches, it disgusts me that such skanks exist, they deserve to have the **** bashed out of them. If they carry on the way they're going, they're going to be v. unhappy
I swear to God if I hadn't read you're in uni, I would've assumed those girls were about 13/14. It sounds like the sort of bullying that only happens in high school. OP put yourself first. They've made you feel like crap for 2 years and you're afraid you're going to upset them? Please get a grip! I know I may sound rude or whatever but i'm telling you the truth. Stand up for yourself girl!!!!!!!!
Reply 72
The most important thing is happiness
I disliked a large amount of it. The people that enjoy it will obviously talk about it. Those that don't are probably not going to say much. I got through it, because I felt like I had to.
It has its ups and downs some friends you meet can be lifelong while other people can be d***s. No one really likes revising or doing exams going in I guess isn't that bad I think most subjects excluding medicine and dentistry and maybe a few others have 12-15 hours a week on average which isn't too bad I guess. Another good thing is student finance I guess but bad thing is repaying it and all your money goes like water so quickly without a job many struggle

Cut a long story shot its not as amazing as people say it is I do think its overhyped but I don't think its terrible either possibly in the middle.
I expected that uni would be a constant party, full of sex and friends but with the added study responsibilities. That wasn't what uni was.

The lecturers and class teachers couldn't care less about you. You're on your own and it would be rude to tell them that they spend too much time talking about music in the real world - when we can read about it in our own time!

I spent the first year alone because most events were drinking events. I may have taken advantage of horny men at some point but I felt sorry for them so I stopped.

I changed uni the second year because I hated the course and lack of social life. I persuaded my parents to move into an apartment about half an hour's drive from them. After putting ads in the student union, I got five amazing flatmates who were exactly in the same position as me. We're now friends and we do a lot of things together, including non-drinking events which were not related to the student union. And only a select few students could go to these events. So we had a few acquaintances move closer to us just so they could get in the exclusive events.

In the end, considering that the only way to solve loneliness for me was to move out, uni is overrated and favours only those who don't live with their parents.

You're not alone in that regards, OP. Work will be much better, at least it doesn't favour those who love close to work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't like it very much. Most lecturers are unwilling to offer much guidance. You submit essays not knowing what mark you'll get.

The only thing I liked was that I was able to virtually study from home for three years as I barely went into uni and my department couldn't be bothered to enforce their attendance policy.

Glad it's over!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VeniViciVidi
If I recall correctly, your username rings true to a user who goes to Reading University. Is this true? I'm at Reading also and it has been great.

Edit: Just read you hang around with a few people from Law. I've heard they are nothing but *****.

haha I lol'd
Original post by SillyMilly
I know its ridiculous im still there. It is all my fault Im so scared of upsetting people I let them speak to me like they do. Even now in the summer holidays they have a group facebook message im getting those stupid memes taking the mick out of me. I stupidly signed the contract for 3rd year as I was worried id upset them and they would be more nasty to me.

I transfer my housemate money for bills each month and its getting more each month and I know for a fact that they are taking the money for themselves I try to tell them I know this and they just say im thick and don't understand the bills.

Its only the three of us in the house so its them v me. I know I really need to leave im just such a wimp im scared if I upset them it will get worse

Your entire situation has really saddened me and if you were local, I would offer you our spare room. I really hope you find happiness and friends that will not treat you the way they do. You will be a stronger person for making it through the crap they give you, so you have that.

However, with the money situation you need to get it all in black and white and sign a contract. There is no way I would be letting them get away with taking my money.
Never managed to click with anybody at uni despite being a fairly sociable person throughout school - isn't it meant to go the opposite way? I've come back from a year abroad and the few friends I had have graduated... not looking forward to next year, but at least it's the last and I can leave! I plan to spend as little time as possible there and go home every weekend.

Quick Reply

Latest