The Student Room Group

What subjects should I pick for a level?

Hi I wanted to ask whether I should do five subjects as apposed to doing four. I have heard of many people having done it both ways and I just wanted all of your lots opinions and I'd also appreciate hearing what subjects some of you picked?

If I do for subjects I will pick maths, further maths, physics and then either chemistry or economics however if I pick 5 I shall do all of the subjects listed above.
Does anyone have any recommendations or have any of you done something similar?
I'd recommend away from doing 5 for AS. 4 is still a lot, so steer clear of 5 where possible. If you REALLY want to do one of the subjects, when you do your A2 levels, see if you can do the AS in the subject you didn't do with the rest of your AS levels.
i.e. go to year 12 classes, for the subject, when you're in year 13.
Reply 2
Chances are that maths and further will be in the same block i.e. you do A2 maths in year 1 and A2 further maths in year 2
(A lot of people tend to ignore this)

So its pretty common for students to basically do 3 other subjects during AS level to fill up your timetable i.e. Physics, chem & econ in your case. You probably will have more or less the same amount of frees as your peers assuming the first sentence.
(edited 9 years ago)
ooh i did similar subjects:

in year 12 i did maths (AS and A2), further maths (AS), physics (AS), history (AS). so my workload was more than 5AS's, i also had to self teach the A2 part of maths.

it depends what u wunna do at uni, if its maths/sciency i'd defo pick chemistry above economics, i seriously regret not picking chemistry instead of history.

i'd recommend doing 4, doing just spreads you out too much and you'll get a bad grade somewhere you shouldn't have or ur average UMS would be lower than if u had 4.

Quick Reply

Latest