The Student Room Group

Reference for Uni application-undergraduate course.

Currently self studying A levels and seriously considering going on to take a degree at a very late age. My main concern is the requirement of a reference in the ucas application as i haven't been studying with a college. Has anyone else been in this position, if so how did you overcome the problem?
Original post by Tess02
Currently self studying A levels and seriously considering going on to take a degree at a very late age. My main concern is the requirement of a reference in the ucas application as i haven't been studying with a college. Has anyone else been in this position, if so how did you overcome the problem?

In my case, it was better/easier to use a professional reference instead of an academic reference. I was accepted by my top choice university.
Reply 2
A professional reference from an employer will be just as good, if not better.

Although this can be hard in some cases, as some people do not want their employer to know that they intend to leave to take up studying, unless you intend to keep your job also.

You could also volunteer in a position suited to your intended course, if possible, and a reference could be provided in that way?
Reply 3
I work part time for my husband so knowing i will be studying isn't a problem but doubt a reference from such a close family relative will be acceptable.
Volunteering is a good idea but as i'm planning on doing two full A levels in one year whilst working part time, the workload may be too much, particularly as we will be decorating and doing othe diy in order to sell house and travelling to view potential new houses.
Guess i will have to talk to possible unis and see what they say but thanks for the input.
Reply 4
Will you be studying for the A Levels at a college or evening classes? If you're doing taught courses, your teachers would make good referees.
Original post by Tess02
I work part time for my husband so knowing i will be studying isn't a problem but doubt a reference from such a close family relative will be acceptable.
Volunteering is a good idea but as i'm planning on doing two full A levels in one year whilst working part time, the workload may be too much, particularly as we will be decorating and doing othe diy in order to sell house and travelling to view potential new houses.
Guess i will have to talk to possible unis and see what they say but thanks for the input.

Yeah, in that case I would check with the unis and see if they'd let you submit the application without a reference or advise you on choosing some kind of alternate referee. Best of luck to you!
Reply 6
No i'm studying at home alone. Thanks for the input, i will have to go to an early open day at the university and ask.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest