The Student Room Group

An entrepreneur or focus on a boring career?

im unsure whether I should focus on opening my business which will be hard and risky or focus on getting a career and being average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

If you're going to make a thread like this, at least go in to more detail.

What kind of business do you wish to open?
What is your educational background?
How old are you?
What career would you go in to if you weren't opening your own business?
Etc
Clearly no bias in the thread title.:facepalm:
Reply 3
Original post by randomgeeza
If you're going to make a thread like this, at least go in to more detail.

What kind of business do you wish to open?
What is your educational background?
How old are you?
What career would you go in to if you weren't opening your own business?
Etc

food business
degree in business
all careers are boring web development looks ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
food business
degree in business

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because you run a business doesn't mean it's going to be boring, I remember reading that CEOs go in for at least 40 hours a week, so just imagine that for a smaller business...
Reply 5
Original post by Ana81
im unsure whether I should focus on opening my business which will be hard and risky or focus on getting a career and being average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Instead of boring I think a better way of saying this would be a risky career vs a set career (that's the best way I can think of describing it)

Of course it depends on your interests, but I don't see how you could be so drawn to being an entrepreneur yet nothing else - remember all the paperwork and finances you'd have to deal with.

Alternatively depending on your degree you could try and get into management of a larger firm and work your way up. This would be a more stable career in my opinion and I'm not sure if it's just where I live but many of the smaller non franchised shops in my area are rapidly failing due to the likes of Tesco making it a very risky business to go into if you do decide to be an entrepreneur.

TL;DR consider working your way up of a larger firm perhaps?
Reply 6
Original post by AdamCee
Instead of boring I think a better way of saying this would be a risky career vs a set career (that's the best way I can think of describing it)

Of course it depends on your interests, but I don't see how you could be so drawn to being an entrepreneur yet nothing else - remember all the paperwork and finances you'd have to deal with.

Alternatively depending on your degree you could try and get into management of a larger firm and work your way up. This would be a more stable career in my opinion and I'm not sure if it's just where I live but many of the smaller non franchised shops in my area are rapidly failing due to the likes of Tesco making it a very risky business to go into if you do decide to be an entrepreneur.

TL;DR consider working your way up of a larger firm perhaps?

My degree isn't worth the paper its written on. I want a fun career where I can be self employed no boss telling me what to do. I might just have to get into IT support which is abit boring also tbh.. I wish I could get into programing but I can't get funding for uni as I've used it up otherwise I'd do computer science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Ana81
My degree isn't worth the paper its written on. I want a fun career where I can be self employed no boss telling me what to do. I might just have to get into IT support which is abit boring also tbh.. I wish I could get into programing but I can't get funding for uni as I've used it up otherwise I'd do computer science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh I see what you mean. Well if you want to be self employed but also IT have you considered the likes of freelance web design, etc? I hear you can make a pretty modest living from that but it's nothing out of this world I don't think
Reply 8
I just don't know whether to invest my money in education or a business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
I just don't know whether to invest my money in education or a business.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Education? Did you not just do a degree? or you want to do CompSci?
Reply 10
Original post by Trihawk7

I graduated in 2012..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Career first then boring entrepreneurial idea that's ultra specific and solves a problem you've noticed in your field.

These boring dry business ideas coming from a lifelong career in something are so involved not many people understand the market, let alone the gap in it. It has been shown that they are the ones most likely to succeed.
Original post by Ana81
food business
degree in business

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would go the educational route first. Make sure you don't do something which is dead-end in terms of career prospects. From my experience (friends who have done business), its a waste of time. My granddad opened his own business up around 30 years ago, my dad has been running it the past 10-15. TRUST ME, it's VERY tough and constantly on your mind. Especially at the beginning. If you open up a business, I recommend you do it once you get more life experience/knowledge.

Find a field which you can see yourself working in, surely something may catch your eye. If you like Web Development (after researching it), then get a degree in that, work for someone initially in that field and then become sort of a consultant or a freelance coder etc.

Main thing is understanding how much money is going to go in to that business initially, knowing what you're getting yourself in to. I would NEVER open up a business now unless I knew 100% it was going to be successful. It's way too risky, especially now.
You've already answered the question yourself. Clearly you'd much prefer to set up your own business- follow your heart! You're going to be a happier person in life if you do what you love rather than chase money working for someone else. Take a risk, do what you want to do
I'd suggest a career to begin with, so that you gain some money and experience, and then go for the risky business venture. If s**t hits the fan, atleast you have that previous knowledge and experience to fall back onto and go back to the career you had (maybe not the same company but certainly the same field)
Reply 15
Original post by randomgeeza
I would go the educational route first. Make sure you don't do something which is dead-end in terms of career prospects. From my experience (friends who have done business), its a waste of time. My granddad opened his own business up around 30 years ago, my dad has been running it the past 10-15. TRUST ME, it's VERY tough and constantly on your mind. Especially at the beginning. If you open up a business, I recommend you do it once you get more life experience/knowledge.

Find a field which you can see yourself working in, surely something may catch your eye. If you like Web Development (after researching it), then get a degree in that, work for someone initially in that field and then become sort of a consultant or a freelance coder etc.

Main thing is understanding how much money is going to go in to that business initially, knowing what you're getting yourself in to. I would NEVER open up a business now unless I knew 100% it was going to be successful. It's way too risky, especially now.

I cant afford £27000 to do another degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
I cant afford £27000 to do another degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bad, I missed that you had a degree in Business. Well, what I would do is find a field that you are interested in (Look for Graduate Business roles, maybe go in to HR, etc) and work at it. I don't honestly know enough about you to give you more advice tbh.
Reply 17
Original post by Trihawk7

I will probs jus go retrain to be an IT support personnel and just settle for a boring help desk role

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you any experience in the industry you are hoping to run a business in? Just because you can cook at home doesn't mean you can cook at a restaurant or commercially for that matter.

I recently stopped working to concentrate on expanding my own businesses.
Reply 19
Original post by Alfissti
Have you any experience in the industry you are hoping to run a business in? Just because you can cook at home doesn't mean you can cook at a restaurant or commercially for that matter.

I recently stopped working to concentrate on expanding my own businesses.

yes I've worked in the industry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending