The Student Room Group

Jobcentre making me go on Daily Signing. Can I do anything to prevent it?

Hi.

I feel like I'm being discriminated against because I'm going to University this September.

I've been signing onto Jobseekers Allowence for 4/5 months and I was on the usual fortnightly signing. Last week I mentioned to my advisor I have accepted an Unconditional Offer for University starting this September and he was a bit funny about it and now he's put me on Daily Signing.

I don't really understand why he's done this, I would only be signing on for another 5 weeks or so. I just feel like because I'm going to University he's discriminating me and making me go to the Jobcentre daily which is going to cost me a fortune for travel which is (2 busses there and back per day) and they won't even give me travel expenses.

So my £50 a week for living on will plummet to £30 after travel. It just doesn't seem fair or right at all.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can I request to go back onto fortnightly signing or maybe file a complaint that I feel I'm being discriminated against?

I can't sign off because every penny I'm getting from Jobseekers at the moment is being saved for University, but now of course I'll have £20 less a week thanks to being forced there daily.

I was planning on using this 5 weeks to prepare for University and sorting out my Student Finance & Accommodation and then was going to begin reading up on some of the previous years coursework and books to try and get a bit of knowledge before starting the Course.

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's called Job Seekers' Allowance.

You've indicated you're not seeking jobs.

By rights, you shouldn't be getting any money at all, frankly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
You mentioned that you are using these 5 weeks to sort out your Student Finance and Accommodation. Just how far are you through both of them?
Let this be a lesson to always keep your cards close to your chest when dealing with the people who give you your income. It's good careers advice too.

He has put you on daily signing to incentivise you off the dole so he can hit his targets without having to sanction someone in proper hardship.

Equality law doesn't cover things like this and in any case the DWP is pretty much lawless nowadays with things mostly depending on the discretion of poorly trained, badly paid zero-hours/part-time workers who are in an environment where they are not just encouraged but incentivised to make life as torturous for claimants as possible, and who are petrified of losing their jobs as they understand better than anyone what that will mean. I expect you can request a reason for why he put you on daily signing and if he can't think of anything to cover himself he may quietly put you back on to fortnightly signing.

Job centre staff are often vindictive bullies on a power trip - you basically have to be to succeed in the job - and he may be targeting you out of jealousy for going to university. He probably thinks you are an entitled middle-class kid with loads of creature comforts. That's as may be, but you are still entitled under the law to jobseeker's allowance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Inb4 get a job reply.
Reply 5
Also the people putting you on daily signing, the jobcentre people are all jealous of you, a lot of them didn't go to university.
Original post by Drewski
It's called Job Seekers' Allowance.

You've indicated you're not seeking jobs.

You shouldn't be getting any money at all, frankly.

The names of benefits are just a justification for giving them out so people like you don't whine. Benefits exist because they are what people need to survive rather than be out on the streets gouging out their own eyes for extra begging money. With the cost of living and the state of student loans being what it is, saving money up for university is a fine reason for collecting the dole.

I guess you would rather this person (whose parents might not be helping him) dropped out of his course halfway due to inability to get by financially and ended up on the dole again, with no end in sight this time.
Reply 7
Original post by jam278
Also the people putting you on daily signing, the jobcentre people are all jealous of you, a lot of them didn't go to university.

That's what I was thinking to be honest.

My advisor seems totally depressed and probably envious of the fact I'm going to have an incredible 4 years at University leading to a nice job while he's stuck at the Jobcentre. I just should've never mentioned it. It's far too coincidental to not be the case.
Reply 8
Original post by scrotgrot
The names of benefits are just a justification for giving them out so people like you don't whine. Benefits exist because they are what people need to survive rather than be out on the streets gouging out their own eyes for extra begging money. With the cost of living and the state of student loans being what it is, saving money up for university is a fine reason for collecting the dole.

I guess you would rather this person (whose parents might not be helping him) dropped out of his course halfway due to inability to get by financially and ended up on the dole again, with no end in sight this time.

I'm currently on JSA.

I'm having to provide evidence of jobs applied for in order to receive JSA.

If I said I had no intention of finding a job, I would have my funding removed.

I don't see why it should be one rule for one, one rule for another, is all.

And I would have no issue with it being renamed, as long as the requirements for it were changed to reflect that.
Reply 9
Original post by jam278

My advisor seems totally depressed and probably envious of the fact I'm going to have an incredible 4 years at University leading to a nice job while he's stuck at the Jobcentre. I just should've never mentioned it. It's far too coincidental to not be the case.

Original post by scrotgrot

Yeah I wasn't even going to bother replying to that guy.

I do have no help from my Parent so yes you're right everything I'm getting is being saved to help me through my time at University.

I am still applying for jobs otherwise I wouldn't be getting my payments, but I'm not getting any responses which is the reason I'm going to University.
Original post by Anonn123

Don't fall into the same trap of petty elitism: your advisor is almost certainly being exploited on a zero-hour contract and depressed about having to dock the incomes of the most desperate people in the local area to meet his sanction targets every fortnight. If he wasn't a vindictive person before he started this job you can understand why he might be now.
Reply 11

My mother told me a lot about these things.

They know that a lot of university students try to use that big of the system, they're undermined that they're helping ambitious people get free money, while they do their job as they know you'll be in a better position than them.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
I'm currently on JSA.

And I would have no issue with it being renamed, as long as the requirements for it were changed to reflect that.

I AM applying for jobs otherwise I wouldn't be receiving payments.

Maybe you shouldn't just assume?
I AM applying for jobs otherwise I wouldn't be receiving payments.

Maybe you shouldn't just assume?

But, clearly, if you're about to go to uni, you've no intention of actually doing any of the jobs you've applied for.

And that's why the guy/girl in question has put you on review. To them, the reason you're not looking for work seriously is immaterial (even though it is obviously justified), they just see you as someone taking money for nowt and the system - as is - is set up to discriminate against you. If you're playing the system, you've got to play by the system's rules.

If you told them you've given up your place at uni - for <insert any random reason here> - they'd take you off the daily sign in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14

What uni you going to, just curious?
Original post by Drewski
I'm currently on JSA.

You've fallen into the divide and rule trap. Benefits need to be given out, they are needed for survival, they boost the economy (particularly the local economy), they cost the public purse nothing that could be used for other expenditure (except for state pensions and housing benefit, which would require paradigm shifts in other areas) and they should be unconditional.

Unfortunately there is no political will to remove the pointless conditionality on benefits, and name them appropriately, as most taxpayers are worried about the spectre of the uncouth family at the end of the road smoking fags and watching Sky on their dime. They want those people to suffer and be exploited just as they themselves are at work.

Hate the people who push you around, not the people they set you up to hate as scapegoats.

I have been on the dole too by the way prior to university (before it got like it is today).

But, clearly, if you're about to go to uni, you've no intention of actually doing any of the jobs you've applied for.

And that's why the guy/girl in question has put you on review. To them, the reason you're not looking for work seriously is immaterial (even though justified), they just see you as someone taking money for nowt and the system - as is - is set up to discriminate against you. If you're playing the system, you've got to play by the system's rules.

If you told them you've given up your place at uni - for <insert any random reason here> - they'd take you off the daily sign in.

Irrelevant. He is submitting verifiable evidence of job searches, presumably attending interviews where he gets them, and intends to work for 5 weeks if he can get a job. (Why wouldn't he, he has the time and it will pay about three times as well). Nowhere do the rules say you can't claim JSA if you're only searching for a job for the next 5 weeks.

Job centre advisors don't give two hoots about saving the state money and they know better than anyone that it's all a con. They care about protecting their most vulnerable cases and that means anyone who's a bit better off unfortunately has to walk the plank first so targets are met. They collaborate with the target regime because they know otherwise they'll soon be the ones sitting the other side of the desk.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
So yeah back to my original question.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Any point asking him to change it or would this just be a no?
So yeah back to my original question.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Any point asking him to change it or would this just be a no?

I don't think pretending the offer has been withdrawn will work; it's a transparent lie.

As I said, I'd ask for a reason in writing why it has been changed and under which clause in the Jobseeker's Agreement etc he's changed it. If he can't think of a reason to cover his ass he might think he's messed with someone with the time and the savvy to get him in trouble. Then he might relent.
Reply 18
Original post by Drewski

And that's why the guy/girl in question has put you on review. To them, the reason you're not looking for work seriously is immaterial (even though it is obviously justified), they just see you as someone taking money for nowt and the system - as is - is set up to discriminate against you. If you're playing the system, you've got to play by the system's rules.

THIS THIS THIS

He clearly knows that you are merely on JSA for the cash before university, that's why he wants to make sure you actually want to go and get a job... so you know... you can earn the money rightfully?

Stop being such a lazy arse. You don't get anything from nothing these days.

Original post by jam278
My mother told me a lot about these things.

They know that a lot of university students try to use that big of the system, they're undermined that they're helping ambitious people get free money, while they do their job as they know you'll be in a better position than them.

Stop being some sort of elitist, thinking that going to university makes you superior to the rest of society. He's not envious at all of you, if anything he's the opposite because he isn't the one begging the state for free money. Even worse is that loan you'll get... 4 years you say? Oh the joyous £30K+ debt you'll have. Nice job aswell? My god you have got your head up your ass. Don't you know how hard jobs are to come by these days. Thousands of students leave university having to work crappy jobs because they can't get anything in their field. Don't judge because he seems depressed of his job. Maybe he's in the exact same shoes you'll fulfil in 4 years whenever you leave with £30K debt and nothing to show for it.
I am still applying for jobs otherwise I wouldn't be getting my payments, but I'm not getting any responses which is the reason I'm going to University.

What university are you going too? And what course are you planning on studying?

Quick Reply

Latest