The Student Room Group

Which is better for university?

Hi,
I'm going to be starting uni this September and am unsure whether to get a new tablet or a MacBook to take to lectures & to the library when studying.

I already have a desktop PC that I got for my birthday and I have a broken iPad.

Which will be more convenient? A MacBook or a new iPad?

I hope someone can help me, thanks :smile:
Original post by chloehodson
Hi,
I'm going to be starting uni this September and am unsure whether to get a new tablet or a MacBook to take to lectures & to the library when studying.

I already have a desktop PC that I got for my birthday and I have a broken iPad.

Hi,

I bought an iPad with a wireless keyboard and downloaded pages (a word-processing app) for my studies. This works absolutely find. You can get everything you type in pages into word format, but it can be a bit tedious, going through the process of emailing numerous documents to yourself, then opening each individual one etc etc.

That said, I don't think the most tiny amount of frustration would justify the exorbitant price hike between an iPad and a MacBook.

For me, I'd stick with the iPad.
Reply 2
Original post by Cakeymatey
Hi,

I bought an iPad with a wireless keyboard and downloaded pages (a word-processing app) for my studies. This works absolutely find. You can get everything you type in pages into word format, but it can be a bit tedious, going through the process of emailing numerous documents to yourself, then opening each individual one etc etc.

That said, I don't think the most tiny amount of frustration would justify the exorbitant price hike between an iPad and a MacBook.

Thank you! I think I will just get a new iPad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by chloehodson
Hi,

The dicision that you have to take depends on what you are going to study. i mean if you are going to study computer science, a macbook will be perfect. But if you are going to study accounting or something else an ipad would be good enough.
To sum up, you have to wisely decide which suits better to you based on your study type :smile:
Reply 4
Why not get a small normal windows laptop?
Reply 5
Original post by Kutta
Why not get a small normal windows laptop?

Is that better then?
I thought the point of macbook air was that they're small and so ideal to carry around
Reply 6
Original post by Cakeymatey
Hi,

Honestly that would drive me insane.

Id get a MacBook or any decent laptop; tablets aren't going to be too helpful for the most part if you plan on getting it for a degree. You'll be wanting to switch up soon aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Skip on the tablet(its a big waste of money and a real no no) and go out an buy an Air. The non discount start price for the 11 inch MacBook Air is £749, you can probably get it for cheaper using the student discount. If you want a tablet AND a laptop, maybe the Surface Pro 2 or 3 is your best shot. On student discount, you can get the Surface Pro 2 for £512, if you throw in the keyboard, it will come to just over £600 though you only get 64GB of memory so maybe an Air is a better choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending