The Student Room Group

EPQ problem [Physics related]

Okay, I've been posting a lot about my extended project but I am on that worry stage no doubt that I'm re-considering everything.

Thing is, I'm researching on Black Holes, "To what extent, is the astronomically observed Black Hole a danger but a phenomenon to the universe?", where I'm analysing the supposed 'dangerous' side and the phenomenal side of the significance of it's existence.

My worry is that I'm researching things that are already out there and not applying anything and if I wanted to do so, I could've done so in my own time or something like that...

Do you think its wise for me to continue or slightly change the topic? So far, I've covered the fundamental basis of the Black Hole and there is a lot I've done for instance, it's birth up to general relativity and cosmology and beyond.
By having done all this research, do you think I could link the BH with time travel for instance? As in, taking theories into account for instance worm holes and make my way around them posing theoretically physics (no maths because maths goes way beyond to university level and I was suggested not to too) because again, I'm putting stuff on paper like a massive background report on BH.
What do you think?
Original post by EverybodyHertz
Okay, I've been posting a lot about my extended project but I am on that worry stage no doubt that I'm re-considering everything.

Thing is, I'm researching on Black Holes, "To what extent, is the astronomically observed Black Hole a danger but a phenomenon to the universe?", where I'm analysing the supposed 'dangerous' side and the phenomenal side of the significance of it's existence.

My worry is that I'm researching things that are already out there and not applying anything and if I wanted to do so, I could've done so in my own time or something like that...

Do you think its wise for me to continue or slightly change the topic? So far, I've covered the fundamental basis of the Black Hole and there is a lot I've done for instance, it's birth up to general relativity and cosmology and beyond.
By having done all this research, do you think I could link the BH with time travel for instance? As in, taking theories into account for instance worm holes and make my way around them posing theoretically physics (no maths because maths goes way beyond to university level and I was suggested not to too) because again, I'm putting stuff on paper like a massive background report on BH.
What do you think?

It seems to be a very complicated topic to do for an EPQ, a lot of the physics and maths is very advanced:tongue:.You could include some of the calculations to do with a black hole eg.it has been shown that the escape velocity from a black hole is higher than the speed of light, so you could say if you could work a way around that maybe warp travel(I have heard its feasible) then black holes wouldn't be dangerous.I think you have got to link in there somewhere that black holes are often at the centre of galaxies so I think there might be something vital about black holes that requires them to be there for there to be a galaxy.Something to research about?
Original post by Dalek1099
It seems to be a very complicated topic to do for an EPQ, a lot of the physics and maths is very advanced:tongue:.You could include some of the calculations to do with a black hole eg.it has been shown that the escape velocity from a black hole is higher than the speed of light, so you could say if you could work a way around that maybe warp travel(I have heard its feasible) then black holes wouldn't be dangerous.I think you have got to link in there somewhere that black holes are often at the centre of galaxies so I think there might be something vital about black holes that requires them to be there for there to be a galaxy.Something to research about?

Ooh, you've just inspired me! :u:

Black Holes are phenomenal, they obey all conservation laws of physics and many others and there probably is a law they obey which allows them to exist which we do not know yet and if we did, it could open doors to a whole new universe (metaphorically).
Thank you for the advice! And yeah, it is pretty complicated but instead of waffling on about second hand data and go over the 3000 limit (which I almost have :P) I should stick to 3000, I could add philosophy to modern physics and base everything in this project theoretically?

Excited! :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest