The Student Room Group

What's your ideal proposal?

What would be your ideal proposal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
She takes me to a isolated beach in the evening pretending we should go there just to watch the sunset then all of a sudden she kneels in front of me and pops the question while presenting the diamond ring :h::h:
A spontaneous proposal at midnight in a friend's room using an earring as temporary ring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm not sure but I wouldn't like it to be in front of other people that'd be awkward.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StevieA
She takes me to a isolated beach in the evening pretending we should go there just to watch the sunset then all of a sudden she kneels in front of me and pops the question while presenting the diamond ring :h::h:

Do rings need to be diamond?
Reply 5
Original post by MylittlePlusle
Do rings need to be diamond?

ofc, it shows how important i am to her:colondollar:
Reply 6
I personally would only accept a gorgeous ring that I had dropped hints about previously.
I've been engaged before, I hated the ring and I hated the proposal. Needless to say that one didn't work out.
Flash mob then proposal XD; I'm of course as requested talking in ideals.
Original post by StevieA
ofc, it shows how important i am to her:colondollar:

Ins't it the other way round? Isn't a precious gem just as good?
I have it planned out (not really, I literally just made this up on the spot).
Okay, so we're reading on the sofa together*, each at opposite ends with our feet entwined. He will say 'hey, do you want to get married' and I will be like 'sure thing'.
And then we will go back to our books.

* If he's reading anything by Stephanie Meyer, John Green or any other ****ty author, I am not marrying him.
Original post by gemmam
I'm not sure but I wouldn't like it to be in front of other people that'd be awkward.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Every time I see someone getting proposed to in a really public setting, I feel so bad for them. What if they want to say no?! You can't turn someone down in such a public setting like that, you'd be such a bitch. But you can't say yes and then tell them you didn't mean it later on when you're alone, because that's also horrible!
Spontaneous proposal :yep: in that moment he just realises that he wants to marry me :love: (I mean who wouldn't I'm bloody awesome :teehee:)

We can deal with the rings and my parents later :giggle:
Reply 12
Original post by syrettd
Every time I see someone getting proposed to in a really public setting, I feel so bad for them. What if they want to say no?! You can't turn someone down in such a public setting like that, you'd be such a bitch. But you can't say yes and then tell them you didn't mean it later on when you're alone, because that's also horrible!

I went to a concert a few years ago and the guy got up between songs and asked the singer for the mic, and then proposed to his girlfriend right in front of everyone there. The poor woman looked mortified!

Not only that but I think its tacky and takes the romance away from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We're at the fun fair.
At I ate too much and i get off the ride and vom.
He offers me some water and inside it is a ring.

And i say "you tryna kill me?"
And he says "i love you even when you're not at your best"
so romantic
I wake up and the entire bed is covered with rose petals and I see him on the end of the bed with a ring, which doesn't have to be special or sparkly, but a ring that I knew he put his effort in to buying. He then tells me that he doesn't give a **** about how I look or how many mistakes I made, in fact we should make them together next time and then asks me to marry him.

(this happened in a dream)
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not really into the traditional down on one knee way, I would be happy if me and my partner were just sitting watching Star Trek and he just suddenly paused it and asked me and then bought us a takeaway to celebrate afterwards :tongue:

How it happened in real life was - he came home from college one day and we were just chatting away about random stuff and out of the total blue he said "we've been going out for 4 yrs and living together for 3, why we not engaged yet?" And I was like "hmmm erm..." and he said "well do you fancy it? You know we are more than bf and gf anyway and that I love you more than everything. I'll let you choose a ring, don't worry!" And that was that lol. Oh and he got us a takeaway to celebrate :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't understand most peoples' concept of proposal I think.

See, to me if someone asks 'do you want to get married?' in normal circumstances I would think that's just a conversation about marriage. I would respond by talking about it as an idea, considering it was introduced like a topic of discussion. Maybe that's where I differ, and most people would say 'yes/no' taking it as a proposal then discussion would come later (unless it was a no). Maybe it's the way the speaker's position is already implied in the word choices that makes it a proposal.

I don't remember who brought it up first or what the circumstances were, my fiance and I just discussed marriage - one of us asked, implying already we wanted to, the other agreed they also wanted to, we talked about it on various ocassions, agreed we should get engaged. We didn't consider this a proposal though.

Then we looked for rings together, took a few months since we don't like most. We happened to find the perfect simple silver bands the day before we had planned a daytrip to the coast to see Amon Tobin so decided that was the perfect day to propose (I love the sea). Got them engraved with the date. On the day we each had the other's ring on us and whichever one of us saw the right opportunity first would be the one to propose. We checked out lots of charity shops in the town, had the picnic we brought on the beach, I showed him a building I loved, checked out an art show (or maybe we did this afterwards). He's always faster than me. When we were looking out over the sea in the viewing domes of the promenade, he saw the moment, got down on one knee and proposed to me, stumbling over his words really nervous. It was THE cutest thing I have ever seen. We shared a mini bottle of wine to celebrate then went to see an incredible visually stunning concert feeling high as kites.

I didn't expect to feel anything, I thought of it as a formality for fun and nothing more since we already knew we were getting engaged so practically were for months. I was completely shocked at how ridioculously different I felt afterwards - like we really were suddenly engaged rather than just together and that was momentous. Don't ask me how! Doesn't make sense to me, sounds stupid! Human experience can be a wonderful surprising thing. I imagine it was similar to how you don't know how having a baby moves you until it happens,.

So, planning it together and knowing about it had less element of surprise (I do like surprises). But I'd say it was pretty ideal for us.
Low-key, no flashy ring/s (although having the rings still mattered because we still like symbolic and sentimental things - even though I said to him we didn't have to have them), no one else present, next to the sea, incorporating lots of things we enjoy into the day.

(lol if there is anyone that frequents the forums and knows I've told this story like three times now over the year... >.>
Never gets boring to me.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ribbits
I don't understand most peoples' concept of proposal I think.

See, to me if someone asks 'do you want to get married?' in normal circumstances I would think that's just a conversation about marriage. I would respond by talking about it as an idea, considering it was introduced like a topic of discussion. Maybe that's where I differ, and most people would say 'yes/no' taking it as a proposal then discussion would come later (unless it was a no). Maybe it's the way the speaker's position is already implied in the word choices that makes it a proposal.

I don't remember who brought it up first or what the circumstances were, my fiance and I just discussed marriage - one of us asked, implying already we wanted to, the other agreed they also wanted to, we talked about it on various ocassions, agreed we should get engaged. We didn't consider this a proposal though.

I'm with this. Proposal is an event, in some ways a formal agreement to get married. There's a big difference between that and it the idea of getting married "one day" coming up conversationally.

But if your proposal is conversational / extremely casual, how do you tell which it is?!

Do people who want their partner to just lean over a cup of tea and say "let's get married" not talk about how they will get married at all until they actually propose? That seems so strange to me. How can you be thinking about getting serious with / married to someone and not talk about it with them?

I do know of one person who became "accidentally" engaged (and then married!) when his girlfriend took his conversational "I'd like to marry you" as a proposal, and he couldn't back out! I think she kinda decided she was going to take the initiative, lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr...
I see what you did there... Have some rep.

I didn't do anything lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
spaghetti hoops

Quick Reply