The Student Room Group

Any specific explanation for why I'm now a lot heavier?

When losing weight, I always look forward to stepping on the scales after a few days of good eating or a hard workout the day before.

Without fail recently, I've been either the same or lower weight each time I step on.

So yesterday I did this intense leg workout class. I came home shattered with everything aching and I could barely walk, my legs kept almost buckling under me they were so weak (instructor probably worked us a little too hard). This morning I'm also feeling a lot of aching, but I worked so hard and ate about 1200-1250 ish calories yesterday (not really deliberately because I normally eat about 1350, just by eating my normal foods)

I've been 9 stone 7 lbs for a few days, so I was really expecting the scale to have gone under that mark and say 9 stone 6 lbs today. Instead it says 9 stone 9 lbs.

Any explanation? I find it hard to believe I've put on loads of muscle weight from one session. Did I not eat enough calories for the amount I burned? Must have been like 900-1000 net calories for the day taking off the workout. Sort of wondering about any biological explanation for it really. Im assuming tomorrow I'll go back to 9 stone 7 again.
your weight changes during the day so weigh yourself every week at the same time. weighing yourself everyday is not a good practice
^^This. Plus there could be error in the scales.

Take body measurements as they will give you a more rounded picture of how your body is changing. I recommend waist, hips, and thigh circumference for girls, as that is where most cutaneous fat deposition goes on.
Original post by Elle Byrne
Growing up I have always been massively involved on weighing myself. As I got older and took sessions up with a PT, I began to relise that your weight does not matter unless that's what you rule by. However, I was the same and I never thought that I would get out of the habbit of weighing myself until I realised that if you work with weights or even just do a lot of exercise, chances are you won't lose weight.
I read that 'losing weight' is very hard for some reason, but I definitely think, if you can, to start going by measurements because it is the most accurate weigh to see if you have any results!!
The reason being why weighing yourself isn't very accurate is because you're gaining muscle and no, dont worry, you won't become all big and muscly, you're just maintaining your weight but probably are losing cm or inches.
I've stayed at 10 and a half stone which is my waaaay heaviest, but probably slimmer than I was when I weighed 9 and a half because i've lost crazy inches around my stomach and thighs etc, crazy I know!
Sorry for blabbering, hope this helped!!

Yeah, what the person said above! Wow, sorry for all of that haha
Error in the scale, increase in muscle glycogen, water retention, possibly any of these.

When attempting to lose weight the scales should only mean something in the long term. You're best bet is to use the mirror every morning to see how your body changes.
Reply 5
Original post by toonervoustotalk
your weight changes during the day so weigh yourself every week at the same time. weighing yourself everyday is not a good practice

I do. It wasn't a weight fluctuation because of the time of day. I weigh
myself in the morning whenever I do.

I also don't weigh myself every day... Every few days or so and despite what people claim to say , doing so is one of the only ways I stay motivated and focused on losing weight. I find a lot of people silently think this too.

I'm not really hung up on the weight this morning, more just wondering why it totally abnormally (for me) went up 1.5-2 lbs and considering the amount my legs worked and burned yesterday for over an hour I assumed the two were connected.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by MrFlash1994
Error in the scale, increase in muscle glycogen, water retention, possibly any of these.

When attempting to lose weight the scales should only mean something in the long term. You're best bet is to use the mirror every morning to see how your body changes.

Thank you for actually suggesting some stuff :smile: they're my mums expensive scales so never really have errors but it's possible I guess.

Quote possibly the others. Don't think I'm drinking enough in this heat and while working out too. I also think I didn't eat enough yesterday.

Anyway, yeah yeah I know . Other people report really big weight fluctuations but for me I'm only ever about 2 lbs heavier in the evening and always the same every morning so it was just really strange for me.

Thanks for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by MrFlash1994

Thank you for actually suggesting some stuff :smile: they're my mums expensive scales so never really have errors but it's possible I guess.

Quote possibly the others. Don't think I'm drinking enough in this heat and while working out too. I also think I didn't eat enough yesterday.

Anyway, yeah yeah I know . Other people report really big weight fluctuations but for me I'm only ever about 2 lbs heavier in the evening and always the same every morning so it was just really strange for me.

Thanks for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lou_100

Thanks for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it could be something as simple as your scale batteries getting low or not having had a proper poo, it could be hormonal depending on your time of months, 1lb is literally nothing, it's the equivalent of like half a litre of water extra sitting somewhere in your body
Original post by lou_100

Thanks for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem!

Perhaps also you've been eating different ratios of macronutrients too. Like if you ate more carbohydrates, consumed enough salt, and drank more water, that would lead to water weight being put on.

Plus as some general advice for losing weight, you could try switching ratios of what you're eating too, or changing the source of the macro.

For example try dropping carbs by 50g each week to see if weight loss speeds up. Or try getting all your carbs from vegetables, as opposed to grains and stuff.

And IBF anyone says a calorie is a calorie! Different people process different types of food in different ways, there are more optimal ways to loose weight than IFYM. So experiment, and good luck with your goals!

Quick Reply

Latest