The Student Room Group

What kind of girls have you been matched with on Tinder?

I've been using the "dating" app Tinder for a few days now.

I've not long been out of a long-term relationship and decided to give it a go to see if there were any attractive girls with good personalities within a reasonable radius but so far I'm running out of luck.

My ideal girl would be intelligent (hopefully studying for a degree), has interests, likes to travel, open-minded, has aspirations for a good career (independence is so attractive imo :sogood:) and as for appearance, I'd hope for her to be tall, due to being a tall guy myself and generally attractive, not that it's a priority to me at all. The kind of person she is is much more important.

Obviously I sound like a picky jerk, I'm not at all (I would consider the above female to be way out of my league anyway) but we all have our types

From the girls I've been swiping through on Tinder, I'm struggling to find any girls who are remotely near the above description. Is this because all the said girls are already taken, or too in high demand they don't require to use apps such as Tinder?
What kind of girls have you found on there and is it just a case of persevering?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tinder is for people who can't get a shag by conventional means.
Reply 2
Tinder is for hook ups, not meeting your future baby mama.
People saying tinder is for hook ups are full of poop.
I know loads of people who have found their partners via swiping.
Also, a lot of the women I know aren't signed up just for hook ups. So maybe you'll swipe em.

I mean it's online dating but it's not
match.com

i have like 90 matches and I'd say about 7 are looking for more than sexy time, the others don't know. So that's something.

Mind you, those who start with "hey gorgeous" make me cringe.
Reply 4
I completely appreciate the fact that the majority of people on there will be there because, like it's been said, to get laid and then never have to see that person again.
I live in the middle of nowhere when I'm not at university, middle of a national park in a field is a pretty accurate description but went to boarding school so don't have loads of friends back home, hence why I resorted to Tinder. But surely there must at least be some girls on there who are not just out for that. Someone needs to give me hope.
Reply 5
Original post by anonymouspie227
Also, a lot of the women I know aren't signed up just for hook ups. So maybe you'll swipe em.

I mean it's online dating but it's not
match.com

i have like 90 matches and I'd say about 7 are looking for more than sexy time, the others don't know. So that's something.

Mind you, those who start with "hey gorgeous" make me cringe.

Out of everyone who uses Tinder, 100% of the people on there cannot be just after casual sex, so I'm glad you've had some kind of experience with men who are not just out for that. Gives me hope on the female side of things.
Hey gorgeous? I'll definitely avoid that opening line.
Reply 6

How romantic :K:
Original post by james1211
How romantic :K:

It's not a big deal. And people need to get over it if they think it is.
I mean it's not like we don't swipe left in the real world.
Reply 8
It's not a big deal. And people need to get over it if they think it is.
I mean it's not like we don't swipe left in the real world.

I can't help but feel that meeting though tinder would be so forced and artificial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I can't help but feel that meeting though tinder would be so forced and artificial.

Why?

Is it really any worse than meeting out in a bar?
This way, you both know you're looking, you get the chance to appraise one another, you send a few messages, see if you get along and only then do you meet up. How is that any worse than bumping into a random out on the street?

There's a view that people who met on the internet but then meet up are somehow sub-normal. It's an outdated and frankly idiotic view these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really not that different from a blind date, plus you get to see if you have shared friends on their profile.

I don't think it's forced at all, if you don't like the person swipe left. If when talking to them you don't hit it off unmatch.

I just think it's a great way of bringing people, who may have never met, together. And it's practical and your choice.
I've been on for a couple of weeks and not on to just hook up. Been on a couple of dates but didn't have a lot in common tbh. I'm sure they will be a girl that is similar to what you want, but will probably take some time :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
Why?

Is it really any worse than meeting out in a bar?

Not really but I can't stand that either. The best relationships i've had have stemmed out of accident.
Not really but I can't stand that either. The best relationships i've had have stemmed out of accident.

Well bully for you. But not everyone has similar opportunities. Some live and work in a tiny place and already know everyone, some find themselves isolated, some live in places where all their friends have moved away.

Judging people because your situation is different to them and you can't relate is just ignorant.
Reply 14
Original post by Drewski
Well bully for you. But not everyone has similar opportunities. Some live and work in a tiny place and already know everyone, some find themselves isolated, some live in places where all their friends have moved away.

Judging people because your situation is different to them and you can't relate is just ignorant.

I can pass comment on whatever or whoever i like, if you feel offended by my calling something artificial, forced and unromantic maybe you should grow a thicker skin.
Reply 15
Original post by keturah
I've been on for a couple of weeks and not on to just hook up. Been on a couple of dates but didn't have a lot in common tbh. I'm sure they will be a girl that is similar to what you want, but will probably take some time :smile:

Very true, it's only been a few days so best just keep swiping! After all, there's someone out there for everyone!
I can pass comment on whatever or whoever i like, if you feel offended by my calling something artificial, forced and unromantic maybe you should grow a thicker skin.

Because drunken meetings in bars are the height of romance :rolleyes:

I know plenty of people who have met partners on dating sites who are more or less perfect for one another. Little chance encounters by 'accident' may make for good romantic tales you can later recount on sunny evenings, may suit your romantic ideologies, but they are no more likely to work in the long run.

Who actually cares about where you meet the person if they are your 'soulmate'? You seem like you've read to many of Cecelia Ahern novels but don't have much personal experience yourself.
I don't know about girls but I have found a lot of weird guys on there, like they start off with the most rudest pick up lines known to mankind and expect me to say "yep, I like you".
That being said, Tinder does provide me with hours of fun and entertainment and not everyone on there is weird like the people I attract/get matched with.
Just keep swiping, you'll find someone that is right for you. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

That sounds so cliché and fake. Oh we just fell in love by accident.

Anyway, how are those accidental relationships going? It's sounds like you're talking about more than one. Surely if they
were the best you'd only have been in one.
Reply 19
Hot girls, hundreds and hundreds, ****ed a few

But there is one girl i've matched who i've not even met yet but planning a holiday already, wut

Quick Reply