The Student Room Group

Opinion on youth unemployment?

So the general elections are on the horizon and of course many MP's have started to remember how bad youth unemployment is and how they need to 'reform' it.

What are your opinions on this issue? Is it getting better, worse or is it not changing? What do you think can be done to tackle this more effectively?
Most importantly, why are we, as youths, constantly ignored?

Please share!

Scroll to see replies

We are ignored because we are the future!1!1!1!

We clearly are of no value!1!1!1!

We obviously won't shape britain in the coming years!1!1!1!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My opinion is it's no surprise. Youth employment tends to be the first to go in difficult economic conditions because they're the most expendable. The government's current ideas of giving temporary employment is only a way of manipulating the figures for short-term political gain.

First of all, we need to move away from this huge emphasis on having a degree. Employers aren't falling for it and a significant number of people are therefore remaining unemployed despite having degrees.

Of course, it's getting better due to the current economic conditions. I think for now we'll end up waiting and it will eventually improve.
Reply 3
Original post by Straw-man666
We are ignored because we are the future!1!1!1!

We clearly are of no value!1!1!1!

We obviously won't shape britain in the coming years!1!1!1!

Posted from TSR Mobile

But precisely for that reason that we are the future, why should we be ignored? How can we be of no value when we are one of the largest subgroups in the population?
I think any government is going to have a tough time convincing kids to get off their arse and do something rather than blaming the government/immigrants for all their ills.

Ask someone why they don't have a job and I 100% guarantee you this, regardless of who's fault it is, it will not be theirs.

The Underclass blame the immigrants, working class blame the immigrants/the government, middle class blame the government, black people blame the government/racism.

It doesn't matter who you are, it's not your fault. And I don't think you will be able to teach a generation to get a grip and take some responsibility.
Reply 5
Original post by Genocidal
My opinion is it's no surprise. Youth employment tends to be the first to go in difficult economic conditions because they're the most expendable. The government's current ideas of giving temporary employment is only a way of manipulating the figures for short-term political gain.

First of all, we need to move away from this huge emphasis on having a degree. Employers aren't falling for it and a significant number of people are therefore remaining unemployed despite having degrees.

Of course, it's getting better due to the current economic conditions. I think for now we'll end up waiting and it will eventually improve.

I agree with the emphasis in degrees, before it was a bonus now its practically a requirement for every job.

I also agree that the economy plays a huge part but I believe that youths were always that bit more ignored than the rest of the subgroups within the population. The stereotypes don't do us any favour. And often political parties say they can't understand us and therefore cannot target our needs, which is ridiculous.

I think this stems further.
Reply 6
Original post by Huskaris
I think any government is going to have a tough time convincing kids to get off their arse and do something rather than blaming the government/immigrants for all their ills.

Ask someone why they don't have a job and I 100% guarantee you this, regardless of who's fault it is, it will not be theirs.

The Underclass blame the immigrants, working class blame the immigrants/the government, middle class blame the government, black people blame the government/racism.

It doesn't matter who you are, it's not your fault. And I don't think you will be able to teach a generation to get a grip and take some responsibility.

Interesting. We do tend to find 'someone else's fault' other than ours. However I think the stereotype of the 'lazy youth' is not the true picture, many, like me are willing to work hard and earn their own living yet I'm denied that opportunity because of this.

I never blame the immigrants for my ills but the government needs to work harder to tackle this issue. There are those that are lazy but there are so many more who are willing to do a good job.
There needs to be some way of getting experience that's paid at the same rate as a normal job - not an apprenticeship. I'm looking for a job and I've seen supermarkets and cafes asking for apprentices. It's ridiculous because you're doing the same job but being paid much less for it. Apprenticeship requirements need to be much stricter and employers should be given bonuses for taking on people and training them up. I'd love any job but without experience no-one will give me one. But I can't get experience because I haven't already got experience. It's stupid.
Reply 8
Original post by SmallTownGirl
There needs to be some way of getting experience that's paid at the same rate as a normal job - not an apprenticeship. I'm looking for a job and I've seen supermarkets and cafes asking for apprentices. It's ridiculous because you're doing the same job but being paid much less for it. Apprenticeship requirements need to be much stricter and employers should be given bonuses for taking on people and training them up. I'd love any job but without experience no-one will give me one. But I can't get experience because I haven't already got experience. It's stupid.

I KNOW! So frustrating.
Its also annoying that you have to be 18 for most work experiences, apprenticeships, internships e.t.c and its so limiting! Worst of all, some even require degrees!
Its so so stupid, its a catch-22 situation where you can get a job without experience but you can't get experience without a job. Its like they are deliberately doing this to get rid of us and allow more jobs for themselves.
Original post by AlexKay99
I KNOW! So frustrating.
Its also annoying that you have to be 18 for most work experiences, apprenticeships, internships e.t.c and its so limiting! Worst of all, some even require degrees!
Its so so stupid, its a catch-22 situation where you can get a job without experience but you can't get experience without a job. Its like they are deliberately doing this to get rid of us and allow more jobs for themselves.

I tried to get retail experience at a charity shop but some didn't get back to me and the others wanted references etc. It's like 'I'm offering you my time for FREE, be nice to me.'

I've realised that at 21 I'm kinda screwed for life because as time goes on it gets harder to get a first job. I don't want to be unemployed forever.
Reply 10
I tried to get retail experience at a charity shop but some didn't get back to me and the others wanted references etc. It's like 'I'm offering you my time for FREE, be nice to me.'

I've realised that at 21 I'm kinda screwed for life because as time goes on it gets harder to get a first job. I don't want to be unemployed forever.

Wow, sounds horrible, have you been to university? I tried the charity shop thing as well, didn't work.
Original post by AlexKay99
Wow, sounds horrible, have you been to university? I tried the charity shop thing as well, didn't work.

I've been at uni for three years and have another three to go. But I don't think I'll want a job related to my degree or a generic graduate job afterwards. I'd like to work with animals or run a coffee shop but I can't get experience for either of them so I'm ****ed.
Reply 12
I am an immigrant, I came here 2 months ago , I'm 18 and I already have a job it's easy to find jobs if your serious.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Varius
I am an immigrant, I came here 2 months ago , I'm 18 and I already have a job it's easy to find jobs if your serious.

No it isn't.
Reply 14
No it isn't.

Me, my brothers my sisters and cousins all find a job here in the uk and we were not even born here ...
Original post by Varius
Me, my brothers my sisters and cousins all find a job here in the uk and we were not even born here ...

Yeah. And I bet one of you got a job and then you all work at the same place. There is very little way to get a job without experience and very little way to get experience without a job.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Yeah. And I bet one of you got a job and then you all work at the same place. There is very little way to get a job without experience and very little way to get experience without a job.

No we all work in different fiels engineering,doctor,business,tourism ,it's easy all you have to do is work hard,and never give up....
Reply 17
There are plenty of jobs.

Being just 18, I've found one and I add many offers . Why? Because, I have experience and Asian contacts.
Original post by Varius
No we all work in different fiels engineering,doctor,business,tourism ,it's easy all you have to do is work hard,and never give up....

So you came with a skill and experience? That's totally different to finding your first job. Don't say it's easy to find a first job if you have no knowledge of looking. I've not given up. But no-one will employ me.
Reply 19
I've been applying for part-time jobs online for about 1 and a half months now. I just wanted something to do over the summer and attain some work experience, but it seems like that's not going to happen. I dread to think of what's going to happen once I graduate; nobody will want to hire me because I've never been employed before. I've even applied to a few volunteering vacancies and haven't received any respones. There's absolutely nothing I can do besides continue to apply and get rejected.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest