The Student Room Group

Opinion on youth unemployment?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Old_Simon
Assisting posters by pointing out grammatical and spelling errors leads to heavy handed abusive moderation, and "reminders" and "warnings". We are now like a school. Free expression must not be impeded in any way. :wink:

It doesn't. I was highlighting the grammatical error of his to point out the hypocrisy in his statement: that Brits weren't able to read or write.
I used to be a "host family" for foreign students "accessing" UK universities. Without exception their English language and social skills were absolutely shocking. Despite these obvious deficiencies I had no problem in steering them into RG universities in nearly every case. My fave guy I send to Jesus Cambridge to do Maths. Left to his own devices he was going to Manchester or similar.
Original post by Origamia

Many brits are a deluded self pitying whiners. They blame anyone and anything for broken Britain but reality is its mainly them who are not contributing as much as they should. Deep down they know its them who are lazy scroungers but they can't admit that of course so they have to blame others and in process make up a whole load of b.s.

Did you even read what you just wrote?

Why is it then that there are tens of thousands of graduates, who have all worked hard to get qualifications who struggle to get work when they finish university? How are they 'lazy scroungers'.

You clearly haven't got the foggiest idea what you're talking about. You have a job, which is fine. But there are plenty out there who are more intelligent and better qualified than you who are without work.
Reply 63
My opinion is that I have no future
Original post by AlexKay99
Interesting. We do tend to find 'someone else's fault' other than ours. However I think the stereotype of the 'lazy youth' is not the true picture, many, like me are willing to work hard and earn their own living yet I'm denied that opportunity because of this.

I never blame the immigrants for my ills but the government needs to work harder to tackle this issue. There are those that are lazy but there are so many more who are willing to do a good job.

Same here.
Original post by Varius
I am an immigrant, I came here 2 months ago , I'm 18 and I already have a job it's easy to find jobs if your serious.

No it's not.
Original post by Varius
There are plenty of jobs.

Being just 18, I've found one and I add many offers . Why? Because, I have experience and Asian contacts.

And therein lies the problem.
Reply 67
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I have good A Levels, I got a first in the first year of my old degree. I've done 7 years of voluntary work but I've never had a 'real job' so no-one will take me on. Not everyone who's unemployed failed at school/

A levels and degree in what?
Original post by Jubz1
A levels and degree in what?

A Levels in maths, physics and Spanish and my old degree course was physics.
Reply 69
A Levels in maths, physics and Spanish and my old degree course was physics.

That sounds pretty damn amazing to me, it's beyond me how you don't have a job..
Original post by Jubz1
That sounds pretty damn amazing to me, it's beyond me how you don't have a job..

Again, you need experience for every job and I have none.
Reply 71
Again, you need experience for every job and I have none.

Have you got any volunteering? I've done some by http://www.do-it.org.uk
Original post by lucaf
What annoys me is that our generation are told that if we work hard at school we will go to a good university, and if we work hard at university we will get a good job, and if we don't we will end up working in macdonalds. So we work hard at school, we work hard at university... and then there are no good jobs going, and then we are called lazy for not wanting to work in macdonalds by the same people who told us we would never have to. And then to top it all off you can't get a job at macdonalds anyway, because not even the **** jobs have enough openings.

This.
Original post by Jubz1
Have you got any volunteering? I've done some by http://www.do-it.org.uk

Yeah. I've done 7 years with guiding. Plus done some one-off stuff at National Student Pride. I tried to volunteer in a charity shop but nowhere got back to me.
Original post by Jubz1

This is the point everyone is making. It's an actual problem that well educated young people without experience struggle to find even the most basic jobs. They aren't 'moaning' for the sake of it or being lazy.
Reply 75
Yeah. I've done 7 years with guiding. Plus done some one-off stuff at National Student Pride. I tried to volunteer in a charity shop but nowhere got back to me.

I'm a rather opinionated person who is hard to convince otherwise, I apologise, you are right.

Original post by Nomes89
This is the point everyone is making. It's an actual problem that well educated young people without experience struggle to find even the most basic jobs. They aren't 'moaning' for the sake of it or being lazy.

It's an eye opener, everyone I've met had it sort of coming to them so it's sorta good that I heard otherwise.
Some kids are really arrogant and don't want to do a decent job on minimum wage. They think that because they're studying advanced A Levels or a degree that working at a bar and washing dishes is a rubbish job when in actual fact it would give them money they probably need and would give them valuable life experience in a job environment.
Reply 77
Original post by LJStudent
Some kids are really arrogant and don't want to do a decent job on minimum wage. They think that because they're studying advanced A Levels or a degree that working at a bar and washing dishes is a rubbish job when in actual fact it would give them money they probably need and would give them valuable life experience in a job environment.

I'd honestly love to work in a bar, I don't think I would have ever passed the opportunity.
This may be true but in my opinion, this was probably more true before the global financial crisis than it is nowadays.
Original post by AlexKay99
I'd honestly love to work in a bar, I don't think I would have ever passed the opportunity.
This may be true but in my opinion, this was probably more true before the global financial crisis than it is nowadays.

I agree, it's definitely getting more difficult for young people to get jobs, especially part-time jobs. Also, some of these jobs are on zero-hour contracts so they're barely even guaranteed.

I've started voluntary work at a community pub a walk away from my house, I happen to be in a very lucky position.
Reply 79
Original post by LJStudent
I agree, it's definitely getting more difficult for young people to get jobs, especially part-time jobs. Also, some of these jobs are on zero-hour contracts so they're barely even guaranteed.

I've started voluntary work at a community pub a walk away from my house, I happen to be in a very lucky position.

I'm hoping to start at a charity shop in my town but I know its not going to guarantee anything, its sad really because employers tend to not care about volunteering anymore, there are so many people I've met that have done tonnes of volunteer work; still nothing. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending