The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Just graduated from Leicester! Studied Law - willing to answer anything!

Title says it all really, ask me anything about the University of Leicester and I will do my best to answer! Obviously I don't know much about other subjects but can try and help with most things, e.g. accommodation, societies, whatever you want!

Scroll to see replies

I've been looking for a post like this. I guess I'm wondering how's the teaching style at Leicester Law school? During the lectures is it a Socratic method of teaching or actually more of the lecturer explaining things like typical lectures? And for someone who doesn't like public speaking how much of it is there during your time at the school? Are there graded debating events things like that? And which accommodations is the newest?
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi!
The teaching is split into lectures and seminars/tutorials. From my experience the lectures are of the typical kind, with the lecturer explaining things to everyone, but some lecturers do try to have more 'audience participation,' but only if you actually volunteer, so don't worry about having to speak in lectures if you don't want to.
More discussion is required in tutorials, as these are smaller groups designed to develop your understanding of what has been discussed in lectures. If you prepare for them properly, you will have no trouble in participating, and they are very rewarding. They also sometimes involve group work or presenting something to the rest of the group. Apart from that, there's not too much in the way of public speaking. There are optional competitions for debating, negotiating, client interviewing and mooting, which you may sign up for if you want, but it is not compulsory in the slightest.

As for accommodation, John Foster is the newest, which is where I stayed. You can choose self catered or catered.

Hope that has helped - let me know if you have any more questions!
Thanks for the reply!
It seems like from other threads that Law has more studying and reading compared to other subjects is that true? And how much reading do you have to do for each class? And on the topic of tutorials. How do you typically prepare for them, I've never taken law, since I'm a history major, before and I'm kind of confused as to what is discussed?
Are you glad you did Law at Leicester or is there a different uni you perhaps wished you had gone to?
Reply 5
Coolsbreeze: I don't know about the other subjects, but yes, there is a LOT of reading in law! Cases, articles and the course text books which you'll be told to buy at the start of the year. Some of the reading is compulsory and there is also optional reading too. Tutorials for each module happen on a two-weekly basis and for each one there can be a large number of pages of the textbook, cases and articles to read. You get a set of questions for each tutorial and using your lecture notes and reading, try and prepare an answer/points to discuss in as much detail as possible if you really want to engage in the tutorial. Answers will then be discussed in the tutorial, or if it's a question with no specific answer, then there will be a discussion on what could be written. Tutorials often use past exam questions, making them even more important!

Fortunesfool: I'm so glad I did law at Leicester. It was a great uni and I feel that the course was taught very well. Tutors were always keen to help with any issues etc. Also I joined some great societies and made loads of friends so I don't regret going to Leicester one bit :smile:
Reply 6
Hi! I was just wondering, how did you get to uni on a daily basis? (Sorry for the weird question, I just can't really decide between a yearly bus pass or a bike) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coolsbreeze
I've been looking for a post like this. I guess I'm wondering how's the teaching style at Leicester Law school? During the lectures is it a Socratic method of teaching or actually more of the lecturer explaining things like typical lectures? And for someone who doesn't like public speaking how much of it is there during your time at the school? Are there graded debating events things like that? And which accommodations is the newest?

Can you post some past exam paper questions from constitutional and admin law, contract law, and EU law?
How much did you spend on all the books and course materials? And how much should a person budget per month while staying in student accommodations? Which law courses were the least enjoyable and which were the most enjoyable? And how are classes graded? Is it just one exam for the entire course or a combination of essays, graded tutorials and exam?
Reply 9
Would I be able to use last years law books for this upcoming year or will they be outdated? I want to buy old books off of someone but not sure if i will end up being able to use them. Also is it hard to get a first in law?
Reply 10
Original post by kseniagru
Hi! I was just wondering, how did you get to uni on a daily basis? (Sorry for the weird question, I just can't really decide between a yearly bus pass or a bike) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the bus pass when I was in halls as it makes travelling around so much easier, the buses run quite late and I found it so useful to just be able to hop on and go into the city centre. They get busy at peak times though, e.g people going in for a 9am lecture or coming home around 5ish, but other than that I really was glad I had my pass. Up to you though, I do know people who have cycled and got there quicker than the bus does!
Reply 11
Original post by tehforum
Can you post some past exam paper questions from constitutional and admin law, contract law, and EU law?

I doubt I'm allowed to do that :P
Reply 12
How much did you spend on all the books and course materials? And how much should a person budget per month while staying in student accommodations? Which law courses were the least enjoyable and which were the most enjoyable? And how are classes graded? Is it just one exam for the entire course or a combination of essays, graded tutorials and exam?

I spent a LOT on books, each one can cost anything between £20 - £45! But do look on amazon etc rather than buying a brand new one. Last year there was a law book sale in the first few weeks where people sold their old books so look out to see if that happens, you'll probably get some good deals.

Budgeting I guess depends on which accommodation you'll be in, and your student loan amount so just be sensible!

I personally found land law least enjoyable, I found it really tough and could never really get my head around it. But I really enjoyed criminal law as it has so many interesting elements and perhaps is a bit more relevant to everyday life! You get to pick two of your own modules in 2nd and 3rd year so make sure you look into the options to pick what you find most interesting :smile:

Some classes have just one exam at the end, some consist of 25% essay in December/January time and then 75% exam at the end, and there are some that are 100% essay too, it depends on each module.
Reply 13
Original post by Liz4444
Would I be able to use last years law books for this upcoming year or will they be outdated? I want to buy old books off of someone but not sure if i will end up being able to use them. Also is it hard to get a first in law?

See what the reading list they give you recommends, I probably wouldn't buy anything before I saw that - some will be considered out of date, but some might still be ok to use, especially if it's a 2013 edition for example. There will definitely be some you can buy secondhand :smile:

Getting a first is very hard yes, a 2:1 is an insane amount of effort so a 1st will involve doing a great deal of independent reading, finding articles etc, in both 2nd year and 3rd year. It is possible though! But a 2:1 is also a great achievement :smile:
I've just finished my 1st year at Leicester, getting a 2.1. What's been your experience of applying/getting vac schemes and TCs (if you've one lined up)? It's quite a big worry for me and from my understanding (I may be completely wrong) do you start applying for vac schemes at the start of 2nd year?

Also, how does 2nd year differ from 1st year in terms of difficulty?
Reply 15
Original post by Pavzky
I've just finished my 1st year at Leicester, getting a 2.1. What's been your experience of applying/getting vac schemes and TCs (if you've one lined up)? It's quite a big worry for me and from my understanding (I may be completely wrong) do you start applying for vac schemes at the start of 2nd year?

Also, how does 2nd year differ from 1st year in terms of difficulty?

I'm not going into a career in law, but TCs and Vac schemes are certainly things to be thinking about now. Definitely apply now if you want one for next summer, I think lots have deadlines around Christmas time. Then apply for training contracts this time next year I guess. But each firm will be different, some recruit 2 years in advance whereas smaller ones will recruit a lot nearer to the actual start date.

Edit - 2nd year is definitely a step up from 1st year, I think a lot of extra detail is needed and doing the reading is no longer optional!
(edited 9 years ago)
Are all the accommodations within walking distance? Typically how long were the essays supposed to be? And were you required to do extensive research or could you just use your class books and reading assignments to be able to write the essay? And how do you usually approach a law essay? And is there a forced curve in the grading scheme at Leicester, like only a certain amount of A's, B's, C,s etc...?
Reply 17
hey, would you recommend the summit apartments in leicester? thnx
Reply 18
Are all the accommodations within walking distance? Typically how long were the essays supposed to be? And were you required to do extensive research or could you just use your class books and reading assignments to be able to write the essay? And how do you usually approach a law essay? And is there a forced curve in the grading scheme at Leicester, like only a certain amount of A's, B's, C,s etc...?

Nixon and Opel court are both within walking distance of the uni, you couldn't really get much closer than those. For the Oadby student village, while it's possible to walk it, it's quite a bit further, so it's best to get a bus pass, as there are regular buses from the halls to Uni and into the city centre.

Essays varied in length, some only around 1500 (mostly non assessed ones) and then some around 3000-4000 words. It depends on how much it counts towards the module really! To get a 1st in an essay you really need to be doing extra research but obviously the class books will give you a lot of detail too. I approach mine by fully getting to grips with what the question wants, then coming up with a plan, finding the relevant cases/articles/reports and then writing a very brief outline of what I'm going to do. It's difficult to really say how to approach one, just do what you feel is best, make good use of the first year ones which don't count to practice your style and get used to doing a law essay :smile:

As for the forced curve of grading, I've never had any knowledge of there being one
Reply 19
Original post by bil11
hey, would you recommend the summit apartments in leicester? thnx

I have never been into the summit so I'm not sure what it's like, sorry. But I have been into the Code apartments which are near the Summit and they're very nice, a complete little flat all to yourself. They're a bit further out from uni but I think they do run a shuttle bus :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending