The Student Room Group

Is Sociology easy?

I've never done this subject before but I've heard that it's really easy.. Hat do you guys think?
I've not taken it but I don't think there's such thing as an 'easy' A Level.
Sociology has a lot of theories to do with: crime, class, society, etc. I have found that some of the other subjects occasionally over lap like: Psychology, maths, biology, law.

The subjects that over lap the most are: law, maths/statistics, and psychology. Some of the terminology that is used in Psychology is also used in Sociology. However, there are a lot differences between Sociology and Psychology and the approaches that they take.

I found that the Sociology was slightly easier than the Psychology. It could have been because I did the Psychology the first year and I had a better idea of what to expect in the second year with the Sociology. The format was similar with a lot of discussions and group work.

If you choose to do Sociology you will also have to be prepared to create and hand out questioners or maybe interview a few people too. It could have been the way that the Sociology and Psychology was taught but I found the whole pace of the lessons was a lot slower than Chemistry and Biology.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cathyhelen
Sociology has a lot of theories to do with: crime, class, society, etc. I have found that some of the other subjects occasionally over lap like: Psychology, maths, biology, law.

The subjects that over lap the most are: law, maths/statistics, and psychology. Some of the terminology that is used in Psychology is also used in Sociology. However, there are a lot differences between Sociology and Psychology and the approaches that they take.

I found that the Sociology was slightly easier than the Psychology. It could have been because I did the Psychology the first year and I had a better idea of what to expect in the second year with the Sociology. The format was similar with a lot of discussions and group work.

If you choose to do Sociology you will also have to be prepared to create and hand out questioners or maybe interview a few people too. It could have been the way that the Sociology and Psychology was taught but I found the whole pace of the lessons was a lot slower than Chemistry and Biology.

Wait so you did Chem, Bio, Psy and Sociology? Because that's what I'm planning on doing.. And I'm hoping to get into medicine. What did you apply for / what are you doing?
Reply 4
The content is really simple, there's just a lot of it. Don't fall into the trap of leaving it late because its seems easy; if you plan ahead and learn the book, your literally guaranteed an A. Be prepared for how boring it is though :tongue:
Reply 5
At GCSE: I wouldn't say it was easy but it was nothing compared to science, maths etc.

At A LEVEL: you have to learn a sh*t ton of theories/theorists. There are a lot of theories to learn. And names. It is pretty much an essay based subject. You do have to learn a lot of things, ngl. Huge leap from GCSE to A LEVEL. But if you find the subject interesting, don't let it put you off. You just have to be prepared to learn a lot of information that may not actually come up in the exam
I found it really easy (I did it at AS in my A2 year) and I'm starting a degree in it in September.

I think it's easy if you can grasp it, have a good memory and can write essays well. But there really is no 'easy' A Level.
It's not easy at all. Unless you're very good at essays, don't pick it because there is ALOT of essay writing involved ( i did aqa). Its very interesting though, which is what motivated me to get an A*
Reply 8
Thank you all! You have helped very much <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by samstown
The content is really simple, there's just a lot of it. Don't fall into the trap of leaving it late because its seems easy; if you plan ahead and learn the book, your literally guaranteed an A. Be prepared for how boring it is though :tongue:

which exam board were you with for Sociology?
Original post by Aleenaa
I've never done this subject before but I've heard that it's really easy.. Hat do you guys think?

I got my best grade in sociology.
I found it the easiest out of all my a-levels.
Original post by Aleenaa
Wait so you did Chem, Bio, Psy and Sociology? Because that's what I'm planning on doing.. And I'm hoping to get into medicine. What did you apply for / what are you doing?

omg iv just done these subjects too wanting to go into medicine!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aleenaa

I did: Chem, Bio, Psy and Sociology after I looked at the Bournemouth University website and I had been to an open day. I have also been to open days at Sparsholt College too.

I applied for BSc (Hons) Ecology & Wildlife Conservation and BSc (Hons) Ecology & Conservation Management. I had a conditional offer from Bournemouth University and Sparsholt College.

The medicine route is slightly more variable because a few of the universities want: A level maths while other universities will accept one or two sciences. All of the universities that I am aware of have some kind of English and Maths test for students that want to work in medicine or nursing.

I would check the entry requirements of the universities that you would like to go to before you choose which A levels to take.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Not at all as easy as it's made out to be, in my opinion.
Original post by Maura Kat
which exam board were you with for Sociology?

AQA, you?
Original post by Aleenaa

There is no such thing as easy A-Levels. But there is such thing as A-Levels being easier than others e.g. chemistry :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by cathyhelen
I did: Chem, Bio, Psy and Sociology after I looked at the Bournemouth University website and I had been to an open day. I have also been to open days at Sparsholt College too.

I applied for BSc (Hons) Ecology & Wildlife Conservation and BSc (Hons) Ecology & Conservation Management. I had a conditional offer from Bournemouth University and Sparsholt College.

The medicine route is slightly more variable because a few of the universities want: A level maths while other universities will accept one or two sciences. All of the universities that I am aware of have some kind of English and Maths test for students that want to work in medicine or nursing.

I would check the entry requirements of the universities that you would like to go to before you choose which A levels to take.

Oh okay cool. What do you think of Psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing Chem, Biol and Psy. Just found out I need a 4th AS was also thinking Sociology but I'm already being bored to death by Psy.

Original post by Aleenaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's easy enough to pick up but if you're not interested in the subject matter it is very tedious.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aleenaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found that the Psychology was slightly harder because it was the first time that I had taken the subject and it was my first year. It took me awhile to learn all of the different theories and understand what was expected of me. I also had had learn and understand quite a lot of new vocabulary that I had never heard of before. By the beginning of the second year I had learnt most of the vocabulary and it really helped me with the Sociology.

I managed to get an overall Merit in the end with the Psychology but some of the work was a bit of a struggle to begin with. There seems to be a bit more flexibility in Sociology than in Psychology. I was told that some of my work/project was a bit too complicated in Psychology. I was told that I should simplify it. However, when I used a similar style in Sociology I got a Distinction for complicating my work. :hmmmm:

There is a lot of group work in Psychology but for whatever reason there was less of a debate in Psychology than in Sociology. A lot more of the politics seemed to come out in the Sociology rather than in Psychology. Psychology is a lot more concerned with the individual whereas in Sociology it is interested in the whole of society and different groups of people.

Quick Reply

Latest