The Student Room Group

Student Finance is forcing me to legally change my name.

I've been having a non-stop fight with SFE over the last few months, the reason being is that they are forcing me to legally change my name. The reason of this is because I'm transgender.

I applied under my female name as I was told by the support line that it was fine to do so, however when I sent my evidence in (Birth certificate) they threw a fit.

They stated "This is your brothers birth certificate" (I have no brother), I emailed and phoned them multiple times saying that no, that is my birth certificate and tried to get things sorted.

I was told on the phone that I could just get my name changed on the account, however that does not seem to be the case now. Instead they are forcing me to legally change my name (Which I'm now no-longer interested in changing my name too), otherwise they will refuse me any finance.

To top this all off they LOST my birth certificate, and forcing me to purchase a new one or a new passport, and when you've been unemployed for 5 years, £800 in debt with not even a single penny in your bank account for the last 7 months, that just isnt possible!

This is absurd, Why must I be forced into doing this? Why must I be forced into making up for their mistakes? I don't need this happening in the middle of an incredibly terrible part of my life right now.
Hello

Apologies for the trouble you are having. If your birth certificate does not match the name on your account we cannot identify you this way. If there is no evidence as to why there is a difference, we would then need to confirm your identity with your passport information. All UK students are required to confirm their identity using a birth certificate with the accompanying birth certificate form, or their passport information. We cannot award funding until we have this.

If your birth certificate has been lost, please give us a call on 0300 100 0607. Colleagues can send an 'evidence retrieval form' to our offices in Darlington. We will then do all we can to locate the lost certificate and return it to you.

Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hello

Apologies for the trouble you are having. If your birth certificate does not match the name on your account we cannot identify you this way. If there is no evidence as to why there is a difference, we would then need to confirm your identity with your passport information. All UK students are required to confirm their identity using a birth certificate with the accompanying birth certificate form, or their passport information. We cannot award funding until we have this.

If your birth certificate has been lost, please give us a call on 0300 100 0607. Colleagues can send an 'evidence retrieval form' to our offices in Darlington. We will then do all we can to locate the lost certificate and return it to you.

Thanks

Is there any way to change the name on the account? as otherwise I'm not going to be able to send evidence of name change until late August, and even then it will show a different surname as my mother is getting re married. It would be be incredibly easier if the name could be changed to my birth name now and then changed later.
Hi again

Ordinarily it would be possible to do so by sending a copy of your passport and cover letter requesting your name to be changed. However, we cannot check your account through here and if you have been advised this isn't possible, further clarification may be required. Please call us on 0300 100 0607 and my colleagues can check whether this option remains available to you.

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi again

Ordinarily it would be possible to do so by sending a copy of your passport and cover letter requesting your name to be changed. However, we cannot check your account through here and if you have been advised this isn't possible, further clarification may be required. Please call us on 0300 100 0607 and my colleagues can check whether this option remains available to you.

Thanks

I only have an out of date passport. Will this suffice? I cannot afford to update it.
Hi again,

We would require your new passport on this occasion.

If you have yet to call us since your last message, we recommend you call us so we can take specific information from you to allow us to help you receive your student finance as soon as possible.

Thanks
Reply 6
Hi Sonitia, you can ask your university to change the name within the university system and the Fee&Award team (whitin your university) to force match with SFE. It is not mandatory that you have to change your name, but the university can certainly help you solve this problem and inform SFE that you have changed your name without the presence of legal documents.
Original post by MonMo
Hi Sonitia, you can ask your university to change the name within the university system and the Fee&Award team (whitin your university) to force match with SFE. It is not mandatory that you have to change your name, but the university can certainly help you solve this problem and inform SFE that you have changed your name without the presence of legal documents.

I imagine SFE's processes for dealing with trans applicants have improved in the 8 years since this thread was posted.

Latest

Trending

Trending