The Student Room Group

Isis orders all women and girls in Mosul to undergo FGM, says UN

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by QE2
I have a deep, personal conviction that it exists.

Just wait there whilst I dismiss it.

There. Your "evidence" has been dismissed.

Nice talking to you. We should do this again some day.
Reply 81
Original post by tsr1269

Nice talking to you. We should do this again some day.
On what grounds do you dismiss my deep, personal conviction? How dare you? You need to show some respect to other people's beliefs.
Reply 82
Original post by QE2
On what grounds do you dismiss my deep, personal conviction? How dare you? You need to show some respect to other people's beliefs.

Having failed to provide evidence for this "deep, personal conviction" meaning there is nothing which warrants further discussion.
Reply 83
Original post by tsr1269
Having failed to provide evidence for this "deep, personal conviction" meaning there is nothing which warrants further discussion.
My own personal witness to it is the only evidence you should need. I see evidence for it all around me. Stop being ignorant and show some respect.
Reply 84
Original post by QE2
My own personal witness to it is the only evidence you should need. I see evidence for it all around me. Stop being ignorant and show some respect.

Respect is earned, not given...
Reply 86
Original post by tsr1269
Whoever makes an assertion must prove it.
As an atheist, no one asks you to prove that God does not exist, do they because that would be ludicrous...
Maybe it's like God.
Just because no one has seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.Or do you need physical proof for everything?
Okay. Looks like you don't have anything.
I have a deep, personal conviction that it exists.
My own personal witness to it is the only evidence you should need. I see evidence for it all around me.
Respect is earned, not given...
I'm confused now. Which one of us is supposed to be the atheist?
Reply 87
Original post by QE2
I'm confused now. Which one of us is supposed to be the atheist?

Logic and rationality are not exclusive possessions of the atheist camp, much to their chagrin...
Reply 88
Original post by tsr1269
Logic and rationality are not exclusive possessions of the atheist camp, much to their chagrin...
But if the person making the claim must prove it, and if any claim without observable evidence can be dismissed (and personal anecdote does not qualify as evidence) - where does that leave the religious camp?
Reply 89
Original post by QE2
But if the person making the claim must prove it, and if any claim without observable evidence can be dismissed (and personal anecdote does not qualify as evidence) - where does that leave the religious camp?

I suggest you create a new thread to find out then.
Reply 90
Original post by Radicalathiest
I have given you the news report

Why don't you give ISIS a call and ask them if it's wrong:rolleyes:

excision.jpg

Fabricated fatwa.

On the top left hand side, it mentions 'wilayat ALEPPO' and not Mosul. The Islamic state no longer call themselves ISIS as well.
Reply 91
Original post by tsr1269
I suggest you create a new thread to find out then.
I have a feeling that you are pretty much alone amongst the religious thinking like that, so why don't you just tell me? TBH, it sounds like you are not that religious at all. Are you thinking of defecting?
Reply 92
Original post by Reform

Fabricated fatwa.

On the top left hand side, it mentions 'wilayat ALEPPO' and not Mosul. The Islamic state no longer call themselves ISIS as well.
Does that mean it is an old fatwa from a different area? Still seems a bit harsh though.
Reply 93
Original post by QE2
Does that mean it is an old fatwa from a different area? Still seems a bit harsh though.

No, it's a fabricated fatwa (when the infighting happened between rebel groups).

If the Islamic state were to implement this, they would've started in Raqqah as soon as they took control of it.
Reply 94
Original post by Reform
No, it's a fabricated fatwa (when the infighting happened between rebel groups).

If the Islamic state were to implement this, they would've started in Raqqah as soon as they took control of it.
I'm confused. Are you saying that the fatwa exists but is from a different time, area and source to the report, or that the fatwa you posted does not exist?
Reply 95
Original post by QE2
I'm confused. Are you saying that the fatwa exists but is from a different time, area and source to the report, or that the fatwa you posted does not exist?

I'm saying the fatwa is fabricated and was used to smear a group (The Islamic state in this case).
Reply 96
Original post by QE2
I have a feeling that you are pretty much alone amongst the religious thinking like that, so why don't you just tell me? TBH, it sounds like you are not that religious at all. Are you thinking of defecting?

I think I have indulged in your whimsical fantasies for far too long so I shall leave you in your little cocoon of conjecture...
Reply 97
Fake
Original post by QE2
The Islamic Monthly
Prof CG Smith, Female Circumcision in Southeast Asia since the Coming of Islam
Feillard & Morcoes (1998), Female Circumcision in Indonesia
Hefner (1985), Hindu Javanese: Tengger Tradition and Islam
Ali (2006), Sexual Ethics And Islam
Population Council (2003), Female Circumcision in Indonesia
to name but a few.

Because 1. there are no records or traditions of it, and 2. it was forbidden under Hunduism and Buddhism, the two religions in the area before Islam arrived. Also, the small pockets of pre-Islamic religions do not practice it and their priests and medicine men do not take part in ceremonies where the cultures mix.

You misunderstand. The victims do not volunteer for the procedure or attempt to rationalise it. It is the the older women who carry it out or who have had it done in the past.

Of course they do. There is no need to do it at all so any justification is an excuse. The fact remains that the excuse used is that it is required under Islam. Whether they are right or not is irrelevant. It is the reason used for doing it. This is what you seem to fail to be able to grasp.
Islam is used as the justification for FGM in Indonesia & Malaysia.

It is clearly and demonstrably religious. You are merely trying to rationalise your denial.

It is quite simply a public relations exercise to counter popular condemnation of a practice linked with Islam. It is neither objective nor academically stringent.
For example, it states "It is forbidden to make changes in God's creation unless there is a compelling reason i.e. for medical reasons." Why, then, is male circumcision required under Islam, even though there rarely compelling medical reasons for doing it?

Yes they can. Read the papers.

You are in denial of the facts.

Yes. By their religious traditions. How do you think religion works?

Correct. Their parents, Imams, cutters, etc.
You seem to be under the impression that religious tradition is not a part of religion!

Mate, I'm done talking with you it's just a waste of my time. I didn't misunderstand, I know the victims don't volunteer- who would? And those that perform it somehow manage to convince them it is for the best, that's the problem. You are using others ideas and opinions to support your own (and these opinions are swayed by culture) but my evidence comes from what it said in the Quran and Hadiths. My opinions are based off of what the Islamic scholars have proven to be authentic. They've dedicated their lives to understanding and appreciating Islamic scripture and they've dissected the information available to show there is no link between FGM and Islam. The problem lies in the different interpretations of the teachings and it may well be that the sources you have quoted have used Hadith which have subsequently been proved to be inauthentic. I am under no such impressions that you have accused me of- you can't seem to handle that someone is challenging whatever personal conviction you have. I know religious tradition is a part of religion fool, I'm talking about cultural tradition based off of what people think is religious.

I'm not going to go around in circles with you anymore and neither am I going to lose sleep over what you've said lol.

I'm gonna stop watching this thread now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Straw-man666
So you think isis are muslims? :facepalm:

Another brainwashed individual fed by the media.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well what are they? Jews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending