The Student Room Group

Are there any jobs after getting an English degree?

Except teaching. Just curious.
Reply 1
Journalism?

Can't really think of much uses
Being a barista is always a popular option :h:.

or

Go for a master program in French/Mandarin/Spanish and become a sworn translator. Moneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey ma friend, lots of moneeeeeeeeeeeey.
Reply 4
Wow journalism and Translation? the others don't even look interesting..
Reply 5
Original post by McRite
Wow journalism and Translation? the others don't even look interesting..

Well, it is English..
Reply 6
Original post by Jubz1
Well, it is English..

True, I wonder why people are so interested in taking it...
yes. Use a bit of initiative and you'll find one.
Original post by McRite

Most graduate careers do not require any specific discipline. English graduates go into advertising, investment banking, consultancy, the civil service, marketing, accounting, business, the law, the media, creative industries--basically any career that does not require specific scientific or economic expertise is possible.
Original post by McRite

Hiya!
My name is Anja, I'm a Student Ambassador at the University of Reading and I studied English Lit and International Relations. The thing with English is that it teaches you lots of transferrable skills; communication, time management, self-motivation, independent thinking, creativity, research, and more. There are English specific careers (journalism, writing, publishing, editing, teaching, academia, librarian, etc.) as well as less directly connected ones (PR, third sector work, research, management, advertising, museum work, etc.) that are open to graduates. So there's lots more than just teaching :smile:
Anja

Quick Reply

Latest