The Student Room Group

Two hour execution in USA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pro Crastination
We're not pointing any missles at them, that's coercion, it's just a matter of making things difficult as a means of voicing our objections. We have no obligation to supply a thing to any other country, we choose to, so surely we have a right to choose what we supply?

I don't see why our objections to this are of any importance whatsoever. They've chosen to do this. They've gone through the legal hoops. Their population has chosen this as an appropriate punishment, their executive has agreed. If the guy didn't ant to be killed, he shouldn't have committed the crime. Zero sympathy from me on this one.
Original post by james22
And while the USA is executing people it is perfectly acceptable to coerce them into ending it.

Why?
That particular execution is clearly cruel and unusual punishment.
Original post by Drewski
I don't see why our objections to this are of any importance whatsoever. They've chosen to do this. They've gone through the legal hoops. Their population has chosen this as an appropriate punishment, their executive has agreed. If the guy didn't ant to be killed, he shouldn't have committed the crime. Zero sympathy from me on this one.

If they want to kill each other, they can source their own chemicals to do it, as far as I'm concerned.
If they want to kill each other, they can source their own chemicals to do it, as far as I'm concerned.

So, you don't actually have an objection to the death sentence?
Reply 25
Reminds me of the film, "Law abiding citizen"
Forget about what he did, but how would YOU feel during those gasping moments? They were his last moments and would have been thinking when was he going to die, but it was prolonged. I think anything like that where you're in pain and slowly dying or being buried alive, is a form of torture and isn't acceptable
Original post by Drewski
So, you don't actually have an objection to the death sentence?

Of course I do, it's barbaric. However, I respect their right to self-determination also. I think we have a right to influence the politics of other countries by doing our best to bring the issue to the attention of the average citizen - for instance, by banning the export of chemicals.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Forget about what he did, but how would YOU feel during those gasping moments? They were his last moments and would have been thinking when was he going to die, but it was prolonged. I think anything like that where you're in pain and slowly dying or being buried alive, is a form of torture and isn't acceptable

Maybe people shouldn't be forcing them to use inferior drugs then?
Original post by Sephiroth
Blame all those do-gooder anti death penalty people for this. A bullet to the head would be instant, but no they rather disallow such methods and force more "humane" methods such as lethal injections that have a higher chance of going wrong. Making those drugs difficult to get hold of makes the situation worse.

We just haven't done it well enough. If the death penalty was completely off the books, or if those chemicals were completely impossible to get (unlikely, I realise) then there wouldn't have been a problem.
Original post by markyb76
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28460647

I mean seriously?

How can it take 2 hours to execute someone? A few minutes high dose of helium would do it or a massive dose of opiates.

I hear the family arguing that they went through hell so who cares.

I would say if society chooses to use that as a bar and partake in barbaric and torturous practises like this, it is questionable if society is any better.

Glad he suffered. His victims did too.

More please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bring back hanging then, surely?
Of course I do, it's barbaric. However, I respect their right to self-determination also. I think we have a right to influence the politics of other countries by doing our best to bring the issue to the attention of the average citizen - for instance, by banning the export of chemicals.

But the average citizen over there is perfectly aware of it. And two thirds of them are in favour of it.

Why should we waste time and capital trying to sway the minds of hundreds of millions of people? Isn't that a woeful misuse of public money?
Anyone who defends this is just a sadist in my opinion. It is funny though how people in other threads on this site are always moaning about "barbaric" Muslim countries using the death penalty, or using it inhumanely.
Original post by Sephiroth
Maybe people shouldn't be forcing them to use inferior drugs then?

Or the death penalty shouldn't exist anyway

My response was more towards people saying **** like "good" "hurr durr scummy criminal!!!!1"
And then they wonder why their taxes are so high
What a shame...
Original post by Drewski
Why?

Because we consider executing people to be wrong.
Original post by james22
Because we consider executing people to be wrong.

So? They overwhelmingly don't.
Original post by Drewski
So? They overwhelmingly don't.

And we do, which is why we pressure them into stopping it. Because we consider it immoral, so we want it to stop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending