The Student Room Group

Sooo what to do I do ?

Hello,

I have got a few questions (clearly). It's more about foundation years and US Universities. First off, I understand that this is a uk site and more or less doesn't concern the US, however, I asked one of my american friends about this situation and they had no idea what a foundation program was to begin with. Although, that could just be because he is a complete idiot but we are not going to get into that. Due to unforeseen issues, I left high school my 11th grade year. I attempted to go back that year to finish off my last year, it wasn't possible. I heard about foundation programs through a few people who failed their senior year and still applied, did their foundation year and went off to that certain university. So, I looked at a few universities in my own country that offered anything like it. I found one I liked, I applied and got in. It is a bit strange for me to be doing a canadian (french) program when I am american. I might be fluent in french and arabic yet education wise, english is always my go to. I have no plans of staying in North Africa, or going to France, or Canada or any country where french is needed. All I am really interested in is getting a diploma to be able to further myself in uni. Do universities look at Foundation Programs as a high school diploma ? Would it be possible to apply to universities in the UK and the US ? I seem a bit confused on the concept. I am planning to major in architecture and minor in business. And the foundation program, my area of study is business. The school does have a few co-eds. I am pretty sure that there were a few in North America, but I am doubtful that it could be a selling point. I really want to be in either London or Los Angeles. Also, since I have no guardian (I am 18 though), student loans seem to be harder to get for me seen as I need a cosigner. That is my second main issue here. I need credit history and I don't even live in the US. I need one for just about everything. Would it be possible to open a bank account overseas and build credit ? I am so lost, and really don't want North Africa to be my future.
Reply 1
I can only comment on the UK, but here are my thoughts on some of your points.

Original post by soophiiee
Would it be possible to apply to universities in the UK and the US ?

Each UK university could potentially treat International students' entry requirements differently. My advice is to look round the websites of UK universities and identify a handful if degree courses which appeal to you. The International entry requirements will either be on the subject page or linked from it. If that doesn't help, then email the Admissions Office of each, asking what entry requirements they would accept from an International applicant in your position.

Also, since I have no guardian (I am 18 though), student loans seem to be harder to get for me seen as I need a cosigner.

You won't be able to get any kind of student finance or loans in the UK. Non-EU overseas students don't qualify for the central Student Finance system loans until they've lived in the UK for 3 years before the start if the degree course. Even then, you must have originally come to the UK for reasons other than education e.g. Taking up a job offer.

There are no commercial loans available for undergraduate study, even for UK residents.
Reply 2
Just to add that in the UK, there's no concept of a major or minor in a degree course. You can get joint honours degrees, but each subject will have equal emphasis. This reflects the fact that US degrees tend to be more broadly-based than UK ones, which focus very narrowly on the subject(s) named in the degree title.
you say you are American but talk about a possible future in North Africa and a Canadian programme. I find that confusing. Where are you actually living now and where have you been living for the last 3 years and exactly what programme are you doing and where?

As you've been told UK universities don't have majors and minor, they do sometimes have combined honours courses but I doubt you'd find architecture and business. Getting into any UK university is competitive and more so for foreign students. No loans are available and fees are higher than for British students.

Some European Union universities teach in English but we need to have some clarity about you to give advice.
Reply 4
Pretty sure quite a few places like Southampton and Loughborough do major / minors

Just not for every course

Posted from TSR Mobile
The degree of X with Y has been around for a long time in many universities. It's important to distinguish between X and Y, in which both components are of equal weight, and X with Y, in which the first is the majority subject.
Reply 7
I said that I was trying to prevent a future in North Africa. I wasn't able to study in a normal highschool and I applied to the programme as a Plan B. They gave me a scolarship to do my foundation year after my interview. Better than nothing.

Original post by parentlurker
you say you are American but talk about a possible future in North Africa and a Canadian programme. I find that confusing. Where are you actually living now and where have you been living for the last 3 years and exactly what programme are you doing and where?

As you've been told UK universities don't have majors and minor, they do sometimes have combined honours courses but I doubt you'd find architecture and business. Getting into any UK university is competitive and more so for foreign students. No loans are available and fees are higher than for British students.

Some European Union universities teach in English but we need to have some clarity about you to give advice.
Reply 8
What if I applied to the student loans in America and did it as a out of state sort of thing ? The UK sounds good to me. I don't need to learn english, clearly. I had no idea about this major-minor thing in UK unis. Morocco. I live in Morocco and the program is based here.
Reply 9
Original post by soophiiee
What if I applied to the student loans in America and did it as a out of state sort of thing ? The UK sounds good to me. I don't need to learn english, clearly. I had no idea about this major-minor thing in UK unis. Morocco. I live in Morocco and the program is based here.

There's no way you could apply for a US loan whilst living in Morocco in order study in the UK. Sorry.
I think you need to start with this website http://www.internationalstudentloan.com/

This is one university becoming popular with UK students because it has low fees and teaches in English http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending