Death Penalty: Your Views

Opinions on the death penalty?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

For it for certain offences.
Most people agree with it.
Never permittable to execute someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) I don't want give the State the power to execute me. It already has enough power.

2) I doubt it acts as a deterrent. Just need to look at the United States

3) Innocent people are executed.

4) After appeals and etc, it becomes a very expensive and loooonnng process.
(edited 9 years ago)
Against it. It's barbaric and doesn't prevent crime
For certain offences only when you are 110% certain that it was that person that did it
Agree with it in exceptional circumstances, for example, if someone murders, goes to prison and then murders again.

I dont agree with the death penalty as a punishment for the first murder though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
not against in principle, but our law system is in a bit of a mess that it needs to be sorted before death penalty is implemented.
I don't agree with it at all. No human has the right to kill another human. Even is someone has abused this or if they have done something else which is awful.

An eye for an eye keeps the whole world blind. :/
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
We should execute people 100%. It will save a lot of money by eliminating them rather than paying for their prison accommodation and well being. They chose that path and so should not be a burden to the taxpayer.

The economy comes before some wasted lives

The family of murdered victims face a life sentence so why shouldn't the person who brought that upon them face worse.
(edited 9 years ago)
depends on the crime
It solves nothing, is based on the idea for revenge and it's pretty hard to rehabilitate someone once they're dead.

Capital punishment requires us to be unprincipled, to violate basic moral conviction, to act hypocritically, to indulge vice, to deter empathy with the condemned, to waste money, to disaffect members of society, to likely cause more harm than well-being, and to negligibly if at all decrease crime rate. Against it in all cases.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by karmacrunch
I don't agree with it at all. No human has the right to kill another human. Even is someone has abused this or if they have done something else which is awful.

An eye for an eye keeps the whole world blind. :/
Posted from TSR Mobile

So say there's a man who has raped several women and tortured them before sadistically killing them. Does he not deserve to die? What do you think is a suitable punishment?
Original post by MASTER265
We should execute people 100%. It will save a lot of money by eliminating them rather than paying for their prison accommodation and well being. They chose that path and so should not be a burden to the taxpayer.

The family of murdered victims face a life sentence so why shouldn't the person who brought that upon them face worse.

I must say I agree with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eggnong21
depends on the crime

Original post by Three Mile Sprint
For it for certain offences.

Original post by MidnightDream
For certain offences only when you are 110% certain that it was that person that did it

What are these certain offences that you think it is permittable in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by superdarklord
So say there's a man who has raped several women and tortured them before sadistically killing them. Does he not deserve to die? What do you think is a suitable punishment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's difficult obviously but killing someone solves nothing. The victims may feel relieved but they gain nothing from it other than that. In a way the victim has kind of killed the person.

Jail sentence, hard labour... I'm not sure but something humane but harsh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm all for it. Yeah it may be brutal, but it can be done humanely. It saves the economy on prison spaces and the taxpayers having to accomadate them.
It goes without saying that it shouldn't be used left right and centre because it should be reserved for the most heinous crimes. I also hold the personal belief that it's done too gently. Injection wont hurt them, but it's time consuming and not cheap. Imo we should just use something rudimentary like a firing squad or gassing them, in the end they'll die anyway so the process should just be the cheapest and fastest solution possible really.
I'll probably get quite a bit of hate for my stance on the death sentence, but remember people, it's just an opinion :P Besides, I'll never be part of government to push it through to reality anyway.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 17
Original post by MASTER265

No. Look at the US - the amount of money people spend on appeals ETC costs way more than prison accommodation.

In the UK people have the right to free counsel - so the taxpayer would be footing the bill for the millions of pounds in appeals.

So, basically, you're saying that we should bring back the death penalty to save money, whereas, in reality, you'd be doing the exact opposite. Other than your point on the economy, you have no real reason for bring the death penalty back. The death penalty does not deter people from crime - so even if we did bring it back, you really wouldn't be achieving anything.
Victim (s) decides what the criminal should get blood money (and a prison sentence) or the death penalty.

I am for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with the death penalty, however I believe that it should only be used when there is enough evidence to prove that the accused is guilty. If you wrongly accuse someone and they are sent to prison, they can be released when the truth is revealed, but if you execute someone who you thought was guilty but it turns out they're innocent...you can't bring them back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending