The Student Room Group

Career

i just finished y9 and am going to start y10 in septemper - so GCSEs :/... I'm good at academic subjects like maths and sciences, but im unsure what field of work i want to go into. is it unusual to not know what area of work you want to go into? My older brother has wanted to be a doctor for a long time, and so my parents are slightly concerned that i dont know what i want to do in the future. Although it's a little early to know for sure what i want to do, i want to decide what field for example, business or medicine so i can look out for work experience opportunities.
Reply 1
People get to the end of their degrees and have no idea what to do still. It's so common to not know what you want to do during school and college. Most people will end up in jobs they never really heard about - it's only when it's something so easy to see like medicine or law, do people really seem to be certain on things. Plus, having a complete plan at this age isn't that worthwhile, because you'll probably find you suddenly don't like a subject, or your feelings change. I was an absolute biology nerd in school, thought I had it all mapped out, until I got to A-level and realised I really disliked it as an academic subject.

Go with what you enjoy, so obviously do as well as you can with all of your GCSEs. Do pick to your strengths though - and if you like maths and science then don't be afraid to pick them at A-level. There's a whole host of careers in science, and lots of cool stuff to be involved in, even if you're not sure what you'd like to do in the industries. If your school or college has any links with outreach programmes from university science departments then they are really cool to see what it's like studying it further.

When picking your options, if you like lots of things, i'd start by ruling out all the things you definitely don't want to do. After that, you can look at the combinations and see what sort of paths it might take you.
I'm doing my A levels right now and when I ask people about what they want to be and what they want to do after university or things, they just have absolutely no idea. They just do subjects they like and stuff, it's really common to not know what you want to do. It's probably more common to not know than to know.
Reply 3
Original post by Nymthae
People get to the end of their degrees and have no idea what to do still. It's so common to not know what you want to do during school and college. Most people will end up in jobs they never really heard about - it's only when it's something so easy to see like medicine or law, do people really seem to be certain on things. Plus, having a complete plan at this age isn't that worthwhile, because you'll probably find you suddenly don't like a subject, or your feelings change. I was an absolute biology nerd in school, thought I had it all mapped out, until I got to A-level and realised I really disliked it as an academic subject.

Go with what you enjoy, so obviously do as well as you can with all of your GCSEs. Do pick to your strengths though - and if you like maths and science then don't be afraid to pick them at A-level. There's a whole host of careers in science, and lots of cool stuff to be involved in, even if you're not sure what you'd like to do in the industries. If your school or college has any links with outreach programmes from university science departments then they are really cool to see what it's like studying it further.

When picking your options, if you like lots of things, i'd start by ruling out all the things you definitely don't want to do. After that, you can look at the combinations and see what sort of paths it might take you.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to just focus on doing the best that i can in my GCSEs for now :smile:

When do you think i should start looking out for work experience opportunities?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by dance25
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to just focus on doing the best that i can in my GCSEs for now :smile:

When do you think i should start looking out for work experience opportunities?

Anytime! It's quite typical for schools to make you do a couple of weeks of work experience at the end of Year 10 though, so maybe just have a think about that and where you could go for then. Get settled with your GCSEs first, but then you can start contacting places to organise things for summer.

If you think you can get any scientific-based placements at any point (chemical company etc.) then the best time to do that is probably in the summer after your AS levels. I've had a couple of work experience kids (Year 10, so ~15) at my workplace in the last couple of weeks, but there wasn't any real chemical knowledge for me to build on with them. I think they would have gotten more out of it later on. That said, anything at any point is better than nothing. It might help you make a decision earlier, so really just keep an eye out for it. See if your parents know anyone who works somewhere vaguely interesting etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Nymthae
Anytime! It's quite typical for schools to make you do a couple of weeks of work experience at the end of Year 10 though, so maybe just have a think about that and where you could go for then. Get settled with your GCSEs first, but then you can start contacting places to organise things for summer.

If you think you can get any scientific-based placements at any point (chemical company etc.) then the best time to do that is probably in the summer after your AS levels. I've had a couple of work experience kids (Year 10, so ~15) at my workplace in the last couple of weeks, but there wasn't any real chemical knowledge for me to build on with them. I think they would have gotten more out of it later on. That said, anything at any point is better than nothing. It might help you make a decision earlier, so really just keep an eye out for it. See if your parents know anyone who works somewhere vaguely interesting etc.

Thank you so much, your advice is very helpful:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest