The Student Room Group

Studying uni things before uni

Is anyone doing this right now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not but I probably should. You have 3+ years to study why do it now? Enjoy your free time while you have it.
Yes I am :smile:
Reply 3
Nope. But then, I've always relied on effortless superiority.
It's really really not that deep.
Enjoy being young your usually only at UNI for 3 years where you have no real responsibilities, so enjoy your free time while you have it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by David B
I'm not but I probably should. You have 3+ years to study why do it now? Enjoy your free time while you have it.

because i would be a fresher, and lets face it. You're going out to party 5 days a week and hangover and rings like that would happen. Missing class is what i would be expecting(trying not to). Im half way done of my MASSIVE reading list.
You can read a couple of introductory texts, but don't bother with any serious study - enjoy your holiday, you'll have enough time to study at uni.
Reply 7
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
because i would be a fresher, and lets face it. You're going out to party 5 days a week and hangover and rings like that would happen. Missing class is what i would be expecting(trying not to). Im half way done of my MASSIVE reading list.

I'm not at university yet either but I'm planning to be a good student and attend every class. :cool: What course are you planning on studying? And which university are you doing this course at?
Reply 8
Is anyone doing this right now?

Yes, but only casually.

I'm going into a very competitive course so want to be as fresh as I can when I start.

But I'm not going over the top, work isn't going to get in the way of me earning money, seeing my friends or going out with my family!
Original post by David B
I'm not at university yet either but I'm planning to be a good student and attend every class. :cool: What course are you planning on studying? And which university are you doing this course at?

philosophy politics and economics @ york. its a really stressful course as 3 areas I need to juggle.
Original post by lamyers1
Yes, but only casually.

I'm going into a very competitive course so want to be as fresh as I can when I start.

But I'm not going over the top, work isn't going to get in the way of me earning money, seeing my friends or going out with my family!

first honour?
Reply 11
first honour?

I may be being stupid, but what does first honour mean? :P
philosophy politics and economics @ york. its a really stressful course as 3 areas I need to juggle.

Sounds it and I live in York :smile: I'm going to Hull to study Computer Science.
I'm starting a Politics degree in September, and since i've never studied it before i plan to do some reading, just an introduction/basic stuff about the modules so i'm not completely clueless :tongue:
lol I started reading an organic chem textbook but apparently there's no need for first year
Original post by lamyers1
I may be being stupid, but what does first honour mean? :P

Like first class. In case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification#First-class_honours
Original post by David B
Sounds it and I live in York :smile: I'm going to Hull to study Computer Science.

thats quite close why not york?
Reply 17

Haha of course!

Well, I'm doing medicine where you get ranked and a percentage instead of a grade, so I will just be aiming for the best I can in that :smile:
I'm going into my second year and I cannot stress the importance of working through the reading list over summer if you have it available and have the time to do so. Of course, if your aim is only to pass first year, then don't bother, but if you want to get good grades then getting as much reading done in summer will leave you with more time during the term to do the extra readings and study the topics in more in depth. That's what gets you good grades.

Also, doing the reading before the relevant lectures is great anyway because you are familiar with the topic but you also know which bits are heavily covered in the text and which bits aren't so much, so you can take really effective notes based on the content you already know you have.
Aint nobody got time for dat

Quick Reply

Latest