The Student Room Group

Just realised I want to do medicine

Okay, so, where to begin...

Basically, and please don't think I'm being arrogant here, but I've always excelled at anything academic. I've always been the best at school, top of the class for any subject I bothered to put any thought in to. I could get into any Uni course I wanted to, to be frank. I sound like such a cocky imbecile... my apologies.

Anyway, this has meant choosing a career has always been difficult for me as I enjoy all my subjects and am not limited by ability.

I eventually reached the conclusion I wanted the following job criteria:

Something where I continue to develop my learning
Something that challenges me mentally
A good salary
Decent job progression
To be around a group of people, working in a team with a chance at leadership but also oppurtunities to work idependently
To do something worthwhile and enjoyable
To benefit my species

Until now, I was decided on something like Biochemistry, where I would be researching new discoveries etc.

But I've recently been asking myself - do I really want to follow the same monotonous routine each day? Medicine seems to be the cure to this (pun not intended).

There are a few problems with Medicine however:

I don't know if I could handle a patient's death due to my error, or me not having adequate enough knowledge to save them
I'm clumsy as ****. Brain surgery would not be my forte, unless there is a way to improve said skill with practise?

None of these problems arise for Biochemistry...

Help me! I'm at a crossroads - what is medicine like? Would is suit me? How would I cope with deaths? How would I be less clumsy? I wouldn't want to be a boring GP- but I don't have the strady hand for surgery? Should I just stick with biochemistry? How do I get into Medicine? Should I apply to both courses? HELP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemical Engineering.
Original post by Bude8
Chemical Engineering.

I don't like physics though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting into medicine:
•Grades
•Work Experience
•UKCAT/BMAT
•Luck
•Interview performance.

Different medical schools value these criteria to difference extents so have a look at the strengths and weaknesses applying to medicine thread.

P.S. Doing chemistry is a must and biology is needed for 50% of Medical schools.

I'd do medicine. I doubt any 18 year old goes into the medical field ready to see patients die or perform open heart surgery. This comes with time my friend but be ready to be stressed out as hell with the application process. I went through it and have two offers now but I'm not sure if I'll get my A2 results but PM me, I have a youtube channel about getting into medicine if you want to see it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reptilian
Getting into medicine:
•Grades
•Work Experience
•UKCAT/BMAT
•Luck
•Interview performance.

Different medical schools value these criteria to difference extents so have a look at the strengths and weaknesses applying to medicine thread.

P.S. Doing chemistry is a must and biology is needed for 50% of Medical schools.

I'd do medicine. I doubt any 18 year old goes into the medical field ready to see patients die or perform open heart surgery. This comes with time my friend but be ready to be stressed out as hell with the application process. I went through it and have two offers now but I'm not sure if I'll get my A2 results but PM me, I have a youtube channel about getting into medicine if you want to see it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would want to apply to Cambridge. Would obviously be doing all the right options for both anyway. Most may not think of it when they apply but regardless it's still a reality. Any resources I could use to find past BMATs or UKCATS or that would shed more light on the process? Would definitely like to see your channel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't got anything particularly constructive to add apart from a bit of moral support...

I too am contemplating medicine. I feel like I change my mind everyday, and it doesn't help that everyone seems determined to put me off studying medicine but I'm very similar to you in that I want to be able to be learning as I work, I have a thirst for knowledge.

I'm also clumsy as hell, so surgery is also out of the question for me :wink: I doubt I'll have the hand eye coordination to do a cannula haha.

Can I ask what stage you're at in school? AS levels, GCSEs?
Original post by Bethaaaaany
I haven't got anything particularly constructive to add apart from a bit of moral support...

I too am contemplating medicine. I feel like I change my mind everyday, and it doesn't help that everyone seems determined to put me off studying medicine but I'm very similar to you in that I want to be able to be learning as I work, I have a thirst for knowledge.

I'm also clumsy as hell, so surgery is also out of the question for me :wink: I doubt I'll have the hand eye coordination to do a cannula haha.

Can I ask what stage you're at in school? AS levels, GCSEs?

Just going into Year 11 but I have already sat a few GCSEs and an AS Level in French.

At least we're in this together. PM me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Just going into Year 11 but I have already sat a few GCSEs and an AS Level in French.

At least we're in this together. PM me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's reassuring at least that you've got plenty of time to decide (and if you're like me; undecide and decide and undecide again). It was around the beginning of year 11 I decided on medicine too, and it's given me a chance to get started on volunteering and work experience. I've just finished year 11. I'm stunned that you've done an AS level in French already, that's incredible.

I'll PM you tomorrow, have to be up ridiculously early in the morning so I'm disappearing now. :biggrin:
I don't like physics though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Successful people do things whether they want to, or not. It depends on where you go, some places will teach more chemistry than physics and vice versa.
Original post by Bude8
Successful people do things whether they want to, or not. It depends on where you go, some places will teach more chemistry than physics and vice versa.

I would not succeed at something I do not enjoy and would not take pleasure from contributing time to. For me success is to achieve personal happiness rather than earn a great fortune.

I could not enjoy A-Level Physics, which would be required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Basically, and please don't think I'm being arrogant here, but I've always excelled at anything academic. I've always been the best at school, top of the class for any subject I bothered to put any thought in to. I could get into any Uni course I wanted to, to be frank. I sound like such a cocky imbecile... my apologies.

Anyway, this has meant choosing a career has always been difficult for me as I enjoy all my subjects and am not limited by ability.

A good salary
Decent job progression
To be around a group of people, working in a team with a chance at leadership but also oppurtunities to work idependently
To benefit my species

Until now, I was decided on something like Biochemistry, where I would be researching new discoveries etc.

But I've recently been asking myself - do I really want to follow the same monotonous routine each day? Medicine seems to be the cure to this (pun not intended).

I don't know if I could handle a patient's death due to my error, or me not having adequate enough knowledge to save them
I'm clumsy as ****. Brain surgery would not be my forte, unless there is a way to improve said skill with practise?

Help me! I'm at a crossroads - what is medicine like? Would is suit me? How would I cope with deaths? How would I be less clumsy? I wouldn't want to be a boring GP- but I don't have the strady hand for surgery? Should I just stick with biochemistry? How do I get into Medicine? Should I apply to both courses? HELP!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You would have a better chance of getting answers if you actually posted in the Medicine subforum. This is some weird limbo outside of it that I've never noticed before.

Also, what research have you actually done about Medicine and being a doctor? There are more specialties than GP and surgery.

A good salary
Decent job progression
To benefit my species

Posted from TSR Mobile

To address your problems:

#1 Most people learn to cope, its harder for some than others but at least it shows you have empathy and that you care for your patients.

#2 Most medical careers don't require you to have good surgical skills, so its not an issue

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending