The Student Room Group

MSc in CS?

Is it possible to do a Masters in Computer Science after an undergraduate in economics or mathematics for example??

Similarly, if after the first year of a BSc in Computer Science I'd like to switch out, how easy is that to do?
Reply 1
Very easy, I know UCL and Imperial do MSc conversion CS courses. There will be others too but those are the ones off the top off my head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, they're called conversion masters. Some universities in the UK have MSc for CS designed from graduates from other fields, i think ucl, imperial, bristol, brimingham, kent, newcastle and swansea all offer the MSc in CS.
Yea, some unis have conversion Masters with advanced Masters for CS grads. I know that's what UCL offer (http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/students/msc_cs).
Original post by BPreston
Very easy, I know UCL and Imperial do MSc conversion CS courses. There will be others too but those are the ones off the top off my head.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if I finish with BSc Economics in LSE for example, I can do a MSc CS in UCL? Is conversion only 1 year also, by the way?
I did the one-year conversion MSc at UCL after my undergraduate degree in Economics. I enjoyed it so much that I stuck around for a PhD and am now a CS academic.
Original post by St Andrews CompSci
I did the one-year conversion MSc at UCL after my undergraduate degree in Economics. I enjoyed it so much that I stuck around for a PhD and am now a CS academic.

Awesome! :smile:

What made you switch may I ask?
Original post by Kolasinac138
Awesome! :smile:

What made you switch may I ask?

My favourite parts of my economics degree were to do with resource allocation and telecommunications pricing. Both of which are directly applicable to computer networks, and so I wanted to learn more about this through a CS degree. Thus I don't really think that I "switched"; rather I have applied economics to computer science. The great thing about computer science is that a lot of it involves other disciplines (e.g., physics, maths, biology, economics). So it is hard to get bored.
To the person who sent me a message through TSR in response to this thread: your TSR profile e-mail address is invalid and so my reply to you bounced.
Reply 9
Original post by St Andrews CompSci
To the person who sent me a message through TSR in response to this thread: your TSR profile e-mail address is invalid and so my reply to you bounced.

That was me, thank you for your reply. :smile: Could you resend it? I've just updated my e-mail address. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending