The Student Room Group

Big Problem here : Any advice is appreciated!!

Hey guys, i have finished my exams and i got a first class from Coventry University. I graduate in November. My A-levels weren't the strongest - BBD is what i got.

During my final year i was too focused on trying to get a First class that i did not bother with Job applications.

Now i'm finding it hard to break into investment banking. I've been told that i have zero chance at getting a grad scheme immediately, that my best option is to get one or two internships under my belt and then apply for a grad scheme.

So far i have applied to maybe 18 internship vacancies, some haven't gotten back to me - its a mixture of boutique firms and bulge brackets.

I started most of my applications in June so most of the internship summer programs have closed. But i applied to the very few left.

Most of the boutique banks responded with "sorry not looking for interns now", some had reached the deadline, whilst a couple asked me to send my CV and cover letter. I got so frustrated that i called the equity manager of one of the boutiques- his assistant picked up and i asked her if i could shadow the man for a week or so - she told me she will get the HR director to call me within 7days. I gave her my number and we ended the call.

I have 3 Internship and one Grad-scheme applications with bulge brackets pending, and my aunt knows someone at a Bulge bracket who she forwarded my CV but haven't heard anything from them. I know i have zero chance of getting into a grad-scheme at a Bulge bracket, i must have applied for that lone grad scheme before i realized this.

Why is it so hard to get a damn internship? or am i just applying at the wrong time - too late? its still July I'm sure i can find one till September, my plan is to do a couple more internships and then start applying for analyst roles at Bulge brackets.

So any advice from you experienced folks will be appreciated, Also anyone in a similar boat to me feel free drop in a message with me or add some words of encouragement. Or tell me how you did it.

A first class may get you a job easily in retail or something but not in investment banking, you NEED internships. Thats what i've learnt so far.

Scroll to see replies

You are applying at the wrong time. That said, you are better off looking for off-cycle rather than summer positions. You should also be persistent. Push these people. But I will warn you: with your grades and university I think you will find it extremely difficult to get people to even consider you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obviously your A levels are going to be a stumbling block in any which ask for a certain amount of UCAS points.
Reply 3
You have zero chance of working in banking because of your A levels. Most places expect at least ABB at A level (even for back office). For most recruiters, a CV with BBD would go straight in the bin.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MAINE.
You have zero chance of working in banking because of your A levels. Most places expect at least ABB at A level (even for back office). For most recruiters, a CV with BBD would go straight in the bin.

Couldn't she still make it if she networks hard?
Original post by Szmessh
Couldn't she still make it if she networks hard?

Unlikely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flygirl64
Hey guys, i have finished my exams and i got a first class from Coventry University. I graduate in November. My A-levels weren't the strongest - BBD is what i got.

During my final year i was too focused on trying to get a First class that i did not bother with Job applications.

Now i'm finding it hard to break into investment banking. I've been told that i have zero chance at getting a grad scheme immediately, that my best option is to get one or two internships under my belt and then apply for a grad scheme.

So far i have applied to maybe 18 internship vacancies, some haven't gotten back to me - its a mixture of boutique firms and bulge brackets.

I started most of my applications in June so most of the internship summer programs have closed. But i applied to the very few left.

Most of the boutique banks responded with "sorry not looking for interns now", some had reached the deadline, whilst a couple asked me to send my CV and cover letter. I got so frustrated that i called the equity manager of one of the boutiques- his assistant picked up and i asked her if i could shadow the man for a week or so - she told me she will get the HR director to call me within 7days. I gave her my number and we ended the call.

I have 3 Internship and one Grad-scheme applications with bulge brackets pending, and my aunt knows someone at a Bulge bracket who she forwarded my CV but haven't heard anything from them. I know i have zero chance of getting into a grad-scheme at a Bulge bracket, i must have applied for that lone grad scheme before i realized this.

Why is it so hard to get a damn internship? or am i just applying at the wrong time - too late? its still July I'm sure i can find one till September, my plan is to do a couple more internships and then start applying for analyst roles at Bulge brackets.

So any advice from you experienced folks will be appreciated, Also anyone in a similar boat to me feel free drop in a message with me or add some words of encouragement. Or tell me how you did it.

A first class may get you a job easily in retail or something but not in investment banking, you NEED internships. Thats what i've learnt so far.

I'm not going to encourage you. I'm going to be realistic to you.

What makes you think that you have a chance to survive? We only take the best of the best, because the best of the best makes less mistakes, are more independent and can be relied upon to do the work correctly. If you really want a job, the best way would be to do a Master's, a first class would get you into literally anywhere in the UK (see my topic on Master's courses being stupidly easy to get into). But I would have strong reservations on whether or not you will survive the environment unless a) you're hot, b) you actually are smart and have extenuating circumstances to explain your pitiful A-levels (the guy on our floor who has an AAB as opposed to AAAA we call him the 'diversity hire') because you WILL be judged, you WILL be shouted at if you deliver incorrectly and you WILL suffer.

And this isn't even in M&A. I work in Markets.

P.S. don't call me sexist. Hot girls have an almost 100% return rate. Ask any converted analyst.
Original post by sadhukar

P.S. don't call me sexist. Hot girls have an almost 100% return rate. Ask any converted analyst.

Dude this is bull****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Dude this is bull****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I envy your firm then...

I admit I've never been part of the discussion with HR but it seems that whoever messed up the least and networked the most got the job (obviously not the sad one who baked a cake for the entire floor). And also if you're hot. Friends from CS and Barcap report the same.
Reply 9
Original post by MAINE.

Given the number of various boutiques in London, I find it very hard to accept that the person has zero chance.

NOTE: not talking about elite boutiques here, but rather the so called no name shops.
Reply 10
Okay i have read all the responses so far (Thanks for that by the way) and here is what i'm thinking.

Original post by MAINE.
Well yeah i realized that when i was trying to apply for an internship at JP, they asked for my Alevels. It still says application pending but i doubt its going to go green for me. That's why i decided to focus on boutiques for experience. However i must say, some banks did not ask for my Ucas points or Alevels.. I don't think Morgan Stanley did.

Original post by sadhukar
I'm not going to encourage you. I'm going to be realistic to you.

What makes you think that you have a chance to survive? We only take the best of the best, because the best of the best makes less mistakes, are more independent and can be relied upon to do the work correctly. If you really want a job, the best way would be to do a Master's, a first class would get you into literally anywhere in the UK (see my topic on Master's courses being stupidly easy to get into). But I would have strong reservations on whether or not you will survive the environment unless a) you're hot, b) you actually are smart and have extenuating circumstances to explain your pitiful A-levels (the guy on our floor who has an AAB as opposed to AAAA we call him the 'diversity hire') because you WILL be judged, you WILL be shouted at if you deliver incorrectly and you WILL suffer.

And this isn't even in M&A. I work in Markets.

haha its okay I understand, but my aim is to break into the industry, i am sure that there are people who didn't get stellar Alevels and didn't have an uncle or aunt in Investment banking but still ended up working in an investment bank. For that reason i have decided to go for boutiques for internship experience that way i can boost my profile. I looked up the masters at Oxford and Cambridge, ridiculously expensive. An MBA costs 67K at Oxford, Masters was something like 37K.. I'd rather do an MBA than waste money on a masters, because according to the thread you started most people on the thread were of the opinion that a masters is useless. . But from my brief research, MBA programmes in the UK at London Business school, Oxbridge all require 2-3yrs work experience. So im back to square one.

And Finally, i don't have my A levels on my CV everyone; i only have my 1st class degree.. I've been cold calling boutiques for an internship, some asked me to send an email with my CV. One of them actually said they would speak to their team and get back to me next week. Hopefully, that goes through and i have an internship under my belt which should give me more ammunition to pursue another one at a boutique and then finally pursue an internship at a bulge bracket. Surely they can't decline me with my 1st class and two (future) internships just because of my BBD alevels? ? ?

Well if they do, i'd give a serious thought to doing a boring masters at Oxbridge (Was saving to do an Mba in 3yrs time instead)

Your feedback is valuable.. if you have more please feel free to state them.

Thanks
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Dude this is bull****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Being super attractive helps, ive seen mediocre candidates land jobs with BB firms. Companies are eager to ensure female representation in their intake.

Perhaps do a masters or get some experience outside of IB
(edited 9 years ago)
Okay i have read all the responses so far (Thanks for that by the way) and here is what i'm thinking.

Well yeah i realized that when i was trying to apply for an internship at JP, they asked for my Alevels. It still says application pending but i doubt its going to go green for me. That's why i decided to focus on boutiques for experience. However i must say, some banks did not ask for my Ucas points or Alevels.. I don't think Morgan Stanley did.

haha its okay I understand, but my aim is to break into the industry, i am sure that there are people who didn't get stellar Alevels and didn't have an uncle or aunt in Investment banking but still ended up working in an investment bank. For that reason i have decided to go for boutiques for internship experience that way i can boost my profile. I looked up the masters at Oxford and Cambridge, ridiculously expensive. An MBA costs 67K at Oxford, Masters was something like 37K.. I'd rather do an MBA than waste money on a masters, because according to the thread you started most people on the thread were of the opinion that a masters is useless. . But from my brief research, MBA programmes in the UK at London Business school, Oxbridge all require 2-3yrs work experience. So im back to square one.

And Finally, i don't have my A levels on my CV everyone; i only have my 1st class degree.. I've been cold calling boutiques for an internship, some asked me to send an email with my CV. One of them actually said they would speak to their team and get back to me next week. Hopefully, that goes through and i have an internship under my belt which should give me more ammunition to pursue another one at a boutique and then finally pursue an internship at a bulge bracket. Surely they can't decline me with my 1st class and two (future) internships just because of my BBD alevels? ? ?

Well if they do, i'd give a serious thought to doing a boring masters at Oxbridge (Was saving to do an Mba in 3yrs time instead)

Your feedback is valuable.. if you have more please feel free to state them.

Thanks

You dont have to go oxford
Any top 6 uni will do
Reply 13
Original post by James222
You dont have to go oxford
Any top 6 uni will do

But what is the point of doing this masters when i will always be filtered by my A-level grades? Because JP morgan will always ask for my Alevel grades on the application form.

I'm going to phone warwick tomorrow then and ask about their masters course, does anyone know someone who got into an MBA without full time work experience??

In the mean time I'll still be hitting up these boutiques though.. seems like am getting some decent feed back from them as they're not bent up on A-levels like the bulge guys.

Haha its so funny because at Alevels i did not even know if i wanted to go to uni. oh how it has come back to haunt me now :mad::facepalm:
But what is the point of doing this masters when i will always be filtered by my A-level grades? Because JP morgan will always ask for my Alevel grades on the application form.

I'm going to phone warwick tomorrow then and ask about their masters course, does anyone know someone who got into an MBA without full time work experience??

In the mean time I'll still be hitting up these boutiques though.. seems like am getting some decent feed back from them as they're not bent up on A-levels like the bulge guys.

Haha its so funny because at Alevels i did not even know if i wanted to go to uni. oh how it has come back to haunt me now :mad::facepalm:

Don't do an MBA without work experience, it won't help you otherwise. Do a Masters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do a levels again then
Reply 16
Do a levels again then

I didn't exactly fail my Alevels - i got BBD

Anyways Investment banks want your A level grades from your first sitting.

So no point retaking. I can either hustle my way into an internship or do like they suggested and go for a masters at a target school
Reply 17
Does anyone have an idea on what masters i should do that will be appetizing to investment banks?

I did financial economics at undergrad so should i do a masters in financial economics? or just finance? or any finance related course?
I didn't exactly fail my Alevels - i got BBD

Anyways Investment banks want your A level grades from your first sitting.

So no point retaking. I can either hustle my way into an internship or do like they suggested and go for a masters at a target school

BBD is a failure, you dont have 3 A levels.
They want them done together but few specifiy. If you retake it will get you past the filters
Reply 19
BBD is a failure, you dont have 3 A levels.
They want them done together but few specifiy. If you retake it will get you past the filters

BBD is not a failure. I have 3 Alevels. The actual thing is we did not have a biology teacher for the majority of yr 13 between sept- february. It was fun then as we had ridiculous free time but now i look back at it our school failed us.

Anyways BBD is not a failure. D does count for some points on the Ucas table you know.

But yeah the general consensus is not to do a re-sit. Im leaning more towards a masters

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending