The Student Room Group

Some one make me feel better.

Basically right I am actually ****ting myself for university. I know this is going to sound stupid, but I don't feel confident while using commas and it's actually frustrating. I really wanted to go to uni and study the course I have picked, which is essay based. I'm not saying I hate essays. All I'm saying is I will be happy if I felt confident while using commas, as they are complicated and so easily misused. I will feel like crap if I fail my subject because of me misusing commas. I feel this pressure building up on me and I'm starting to get frights.

I know how to use commas with coordinating conjunction, subordinate conjunction,commas transitional phrases commas with introductory phrases and words, also with direst speech, lists, dates, adjectives. I just feel terrible using them I get frights. I think it may be my anxiety playing up. I can handle anything but commas are my weakness.

Anyways, can you guys give me advice or tips on commas that enable you to use them easily without making errors. My main worry is the comma splice. Does comma splice occur when linking two clauses which can stay on their own without using conjunction?

And do university's help you with essay and grammar at all?:confused:

i just hate commas.:eek:

Please help me!! I just hear different rules from different people and in so confused in commas

Scroll to see replies

I hate my life.

So much bs going on right now.

Thought about doing it a few times but it would be too easy. It's hard but I try..

Posted from TSR Mobile
just go on bitesize or something, try do some writing in your free time and ask someone to read it. everyone has their quirks when it comes to language.
Original post by mynameisntdoug
just go on bitesize or something, try do some writing in your free time and ask someone to read it. everyone has their quirks when it comes to language.

I have and it doesn't help at all. I know the basic rules, but when writing I feel on edge while using commas. Especially writing by hand.
Original post by Highfiveyou
I have and it doesn't help at all. I know the basic rules, but when writing I feel on edge while using commas. Especially writing by hand.

take a sec to think whether you need a full stop or a comma - just pause and think about how you would say your sentence in real life. would you pause (for a longer period of time - period) or would you pause to continue your sentence (comma). this is how i think about it, it's usually the best way to approach structuring.
Original post by mynameisntdoug
take a sec to think whether you need a full stop or a comma - just pause and think about how you would say your sentence in real life. would you pause (for a longer period of time - period) or would you pause to continue your sentence (comma). this is how i think about it, it's usually the best way to approach structuring.

Okay thanks! Sometimes people say it's not entirely based in the pause. Sometimes we can't place commas before certain words, and that it will result to an error. So you think this is correct:

Kate went to the shops, to get some groceries, then came back home rushing like a cheetah.

Many businesses fail to recognise trends, this leads to the business carrying out a market research.

Is the comma before "this" acceptable in my second example?
On Microsoft Word, it tells me when I am using commas wrong. Does nobody else have this wonderful feature? :confused:
Go on kids learning websites. You might feel a little stupid at first but it'll help you :smile:
Original post by Secretnerd123
Go on kids learning websites. You might feel a little stupid at first but it'll help you :smile:

I'll try anything to help this horrid feeling fade.
Original post by mariocasas
On Microsoft Word, it tells me when I am using commas wrong. Does nobody else have this wonderful feature? :confused:

Original post by mariocasas

Spellchecks, and Microsoft grammar checker are not reliable. They are only good for spelling as I've been told. They are not good for punctation.
Reply 10
I would't sweat it. Lecturers have different views anyway. During my Masters course I had one who went through each essay crossing commas out (a younger one) and another (an older one) who went through them adding commas in! Never caused a loss of marks.

It depends when your lecturers were taught grammar. I was taught comma use in the mid-70s and the rules have changed since then. From what I've seen, commas seem to be out of fashion at the moment. Some recent peer-reviewed journal articles I've tripped across, have been almost unreadable thanks to a lack of punctuation.

Incorrect comma use is unlikely to be a source of serious - if any - percentage loss. Even if marks are docked, they will be minimal. Your first year results generally don't form part of your final degree grade, giving you a year to get the hang of how things work at your particular uni.
And do university's help you with essay and grammar at all?:confused:

i just hate commas.:eek:

I'd be more concerned about your use of apostrophes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pane123

Yes I've spotted the error too.
Original post by Klix88
I would't sweat it. Lecturers have different views anyway. During my Masters course I had one who went through each essay crossing commas out (a younger one) and another (an older one) who went through them adding commas in! Never caused a loss of marks.

It depends when your lecturers were taught grammar. I was taught comma use in the mid-70s and the rules have changed since then. From what I've seen, commas seem to be out of fashion at the moment. Some recent peer-reviewed journal articles I've tripped across, have been almost unreadable thanks to a lack of punctuation.

Incorrect comma use is unlikely to be a source of serious - if any - percentage loss. Even if marks are docked, they will be minimal. Your first year results generally don't form part of your final degree grade, giving you a year to get the hang of how things work at your particular uni.

If you don't mind me asking, which university did you study at? And what course was it that you studied?

I just don't get the comma placement when needing a breath. I find it challenging. But I really love and adore the course that I have selected for university. This is the main reason why I'm concerned. I don't even want to fail my first year because there are a lot of people, whom want me to fail.

I'm angry at my school where I studied because they have never taught me how to use commas, and I would just add them any where.

I don't always want to use a comma before conjunction because my essays will sound unprofessional if I add a load of: and, but, or, for, so, nor, yet.
Original post by pane123

How would you use commas?

I mean to take a breath like this:

It was a sunny morning here in the UK, and this was why I wanted to go to the beach, this made me appreciate nature's most magnificent features as they were highlighted by the shinning sun.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
I hate my life.

So much bs going on right now.

Thought about doing it a few times but it would be too easy. It's hard but I try..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mate, go and get yourself a bar of chocolate. You'll feel ten times better.
I am qualified to teach English as a foreign language. In general I suggest that shorter simpler sentences are much more powerful, are easier to read, and are less prone to grammatical error. If a sentence needs lots of commas then it indicates the sentence is probably too long anyway. Secondly as a general rule the fewer commas used at all, the better it is. Lawyers hate them for a very good reason which is why they rarely use them. To the OP I would say that you appear to have a virtually flawless grasp of grammar and have very little to worry about. No need to stress.
How would you use commas?

I mean to take a breath like this:

It was a sunny morning here in the UK, and this was why I wanted to go to the beach, this made me appreciate nature's most magnificent features as they were highlighted by the shinning sun.

Apart from the comma issue here you use "this" twice incorrectly. "This" is indicative and should not be used in that manner. Adding commas does not compensate for a poorly constructed sentence. It might read better as:

In the UK, that morning was particularly sunny which was why I wanted to go to the beach. [Full stop - note shorter sentence]. There I was able to appreciate nature at it's most magnificent because every feature was highlighted by the morning rays. [Note: Only 1 comma throughout.]
Mate, go and get yourself a bar of chocolate. You'll feel ten times better.

dont eat chocolate, lactose intolerant
Both incorrect.

Kate went to the shops, to get some groceries, then came back home rushing like a cheetah.

Many businesses fail to recognise trends,. tThis leads to the business carrying out a market research.

Is the comma before "this" acceptable in my second example?

Is English your first language?

Most people use too many rather than too few commas. A simple way to minimise comma use is to write in short sentences. This is good writing style anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending