The Student Room Group

Is it worth getting a PS3 now

I was thinking of buying a new games console for my birthday this summer. I use to have an xbox but i sold it about two years ago and haven't done any console gaming since then. I want to get back into it and I was thinking of getting a playstation as most of my friends are on it but I'm not sure whether I should get a PS4 or PS3. I know the PS3 has far more games and I can get it relatively cheap and all my friends still have one but being old gen is it still worth it
Reply 1
PS3 will last you around a year before it really starts to degrade where as a PS4 is a good investment for the years to come. There aren't that many great games on the PS4 but they come out this winter and there will be a heck of a lot more next year too so If you have the choice go for PS4
Original post by fatherdougal
I was thinking of buying a new games console for my birthday this summer. I use to have an xbox but i sold it about two years ago and haven't done any console gaming since then. I want to get back into it and I was thinking of getting a playstation as most of my friends are on it but I'm not sure whether I should get a PS4 or PS3. I know the PS3 has far more games and I can get it relatively cheap and all my friends still have one but being old gen is it still worth it

Is it worth it? Absolutely.

Yes you'll miss out on some games which are PS4 exclusives, but for the next 18 months or so there will be relatively few games released which are, and new games will be missing some bells & whistles which they would have if played on a PS4, but if those two things aren't an issue then go ahead and pick up a PS3.

I've recently bought one myself because I figured that it's coming towards the end of its life cycle, so it was cheap to buy, and you now have a huge back catalogue of games available, most of which are nice and cheap.
PS4.

GTA 5 and LOU are soon to be released on the ps4 so....
It was worth it a few years ago, never mind now. I thought I preferred Xbox 360, but it turns out PS3 DOES have games. In fact, for me anyway, they have the far better exclusives (especially as many Xbox, 360 and One games will always be on PC too).
tbh yes, ps3 exclusives blow xbox 360 exclusives out of the water
Original post by mackemforever
Is it worth it? Absolutely.

Yes you'll miss out on some games which are PS4 exclusives, but for the next 18 months or so there will be relatively few games released which are, and new games will be missing some bells & whistles which they would have if played on a PS4, but if those two things aren't an issue then go ahead and pick up a PS3.

I've recently bought one myself because I figured that it's coming towards the end of its life cycle, so it was cheap to buy, and you now have a huge back catalogue of games available, most of which are nice and cheap.

Add to the benefits PS plus, free games monthly.
Original post by TSA
Add to the benefits PS plus, free games monthly.

I always feel the need to point this out: they're not free games monthly, they're free rentals that you already paid for. I'll avoid the couple of paragraphs explaining it, but it's a similar logic used for Steam/GoG sales.
Original post by ozzyoscy
I always feel the need to point this out: they're not free games monthly, they're free rentals that you already paid for. I'll avoid the couple of paragraphs explaining it, but it's a similar logic used for Steam/GoG sales.

Yeah okay, but my point is for the price of a new release AAA title you could get new monthly games to play for a year as long as you have a subscription
I would buy a ps4, especially considering that PS3 games will be released on the PS4 via GaiKai streaming
Original post by Fango_Jett
I would buy a ps4, especially considering that PS3 games will be released on the PS4 via GaiKai streaming

Fantastic except for a few things:

1) Release date for Europe hasn't been announced yet. Given that it's not due for release in the US until later this summer it's not unrealistic to expect the EU release to be at least 6 months behind.
2) Requires a very stable, fast connection to use and if you have any kind of monthly download limit you'll chew through it in no time at all.
3) Prices for the games will likely be vastly inflated compared to a physical copy for the PS3.
4) Streaming games results in a lower quality experience as it quite simply cannot deliver enough data fast enough to provide the same level of graphical fidelity as a physical copy of the game can, and unless you have a fantastic internet connection then input lag is very often a noticeable annoyance.

If you want to play PS3 games, buy a PS3.
If you want to play PS4 games, buy a PS4.

It's that simple.
Original post by mackemforever

2) Requires a very stable, fast connection to use and if you have any kind of monthly download limit you'll chew through it in no time at all.

5Mb/s is the absolute minimum that is given by Sony. If you don't have at least that/can't afford, you probably can't be doing any kind of online gaming in the first place.

4) Streaming games results in a lower quality experience as it quite simply cannot deliver enough data fast enough to provide the same level of graphical fidelity as a physical copy of the game can, and unless you have a fantastic internet connection then input lag is very often a noticeable annoyance.

I played lots on GaiKai before Sony bought it on a 10Mb/s connection around 2011. It was very good, even on games like Crysis 2 and The Witcher 2 (held a steady 40-50fps. Keep in mind that this was a PC quality game and not the muddy textures and jaggy edges you find on consoles, and especially considering these are console quality games they should run as well as, if not better as it did on the PS3. Sony showed off Playstation Now at CES, and the results were very good with TLoU and God of War Ascension.

If you want to play PS3 games, buy a PS3.
If you want to play PS4 games, buy a PS4.

It's that simple.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fango_Jett

What Sony showed off at CES would have been them streaming a game from a server running in the same building, not across an internet connection and not across any distance whatsoever.

Hardly a true representation of the service.
Original post by TSA
Yeah okay, but my point is for the price of a new release AAA title you could get new monthly games to play for a year as long as you have a subscription

For the net price of buying a new AAA game, finishing it, then selling it, you can end up making a profit, or at least break even. You can even buy it again later at a vastly reduced price (because it's older) if you want to play and own it again.
PS4 would be a better investment. It has a good 8 years or so lifespan, remastered versions of popular titles (GTA & TLOU; both to be released soon, as well as a rumoured Mass Effect Trilogy remaster), + any games you want to play that you have missed on PS3 will be available to stream/rent/buy via PS Now (which will be available soonish).
Assuming you already have a computer which almost everyone does, it costs very little to make it into a gaming PC that is much better then a PS4. Also PC games are generally cheaper then PS3 and PS4. You can also upgrade your PC at anytime.

And more exclusives on PC.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DrQuantum
Assuming you already have a computer which almost everyone does, it costs very little to make it into a gaming PC that is much better then a PS4. Also PC games are generally cheaper then PS3 and PS4. You can also upgrade your PC at anytime.

But the person isn't asking about PCs in any way, directly or indirectly. In fact, he specifically uses the term 'console' twice. Besides, games are the major factor, and the PC doesn't have all PS3 or PS4 games, he may want to play those.
Original post by DrQuantum

As someone who plays primarily on PC, I would argue that the exclusives that are available on console far surpass the quality of exclusives on PC, especially if you are not into Strategy/Point+Click based games.

PC's are light years ahead of consoles when it comes to multiplats, but their exclusives (forgetting Strategy games) are a joke compared to what's available on console.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by fatherdougal

Yyes i just got one its got the latest titles and will be online for ages

Posted from TSR Mobile
Keep it on topic people.

Quick Reply

Latest