Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Accommodation Living TV and Internet Connection

Hi all
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by H2OfanRikki
Hi all

As a prospective student who spends a large amount of time on the internet and watching tv between study sessions, I was wondering if any current students could tell me how good the internet connection and tv signal is? If it's poor is there much point in bringing a tv?

Thank you, much appreciated xx

Very few students use their TVs but for the times that I've watched TV in halls the signal quality was good. As for the internet it was also good. Somebody ran a speed test (if you go through the threads - it was recent - you will find it) and who ever asked for it was quite pleased. There's periods when it's a little laggy for streaming on apps (ie Netflix, SkyGo, Iplayer apps only, not the internet version too! when everyone is online (9pm ish for an hour or so??) but nothing major.
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by EloiseStar
Very few students use their TVs but for the times that I've watched TV in halls the signal quality was good. As for the internet it was also good. Somebody ran a speed test (if you go through the threads - it was recent - you will find it) and who ever asked for it was quite pleased. There's periods when it's a little laggy for streaming on apps (ie Netflix, SkyGo, Iplayer apps only, not the internet version too! when everyone is online (9pm ish for an hour or so??) but nothing major.

Thank you, I cannot find the thread about internet speeds but I will keep looking. xx
I lived in Llanddwyn last year, last year was the first year to install 'Wifi' 'eduroam' in all University buildings, including accommodation. The Internet speeds are good in any hall and you can expect 10-35mbps through a WiFi connection, you can also use the wired Ethernet option (I suggest you buy a Ethernet cable) as Bangor has fibre optic, I ran a speedtest and I was receiving 50-100mbps in halls (depending on what time of day it was). Considering it was the first year for halls to have wireless capability, it was really good. It's just going to keep getting better and better each year.

In terms of a TV, I had one with a TV license and I used it on and off, I had good signal with the aerial I bought, in the newer halls (I know Llanddwyn does anyway), in the kitchen there is a TV port which provides superb quality. The common room also provides a TV, which has a variety of channels on.

Yes, there are points where your Internet may lag, but that's expected, nothing significant though. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, I'm a Peer Guide for the University and apart of the Computer Science and Electronic Engineering department.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by kieranbold
I lived in Llanddwyn last year, last year was the first year to install 'Wifi' 'eduroam' in all University buildings, including accommodation. The Internet speeds are good in any hall and you can expect 10-35mbps through a WiFi connection, you can also use the wired Ethernet option (I suggest you buy a Ethernet cable) as Bangor has fibre optic, I ran a speedtest and I was receiving 50-100mbps in halls (depending on what time of day it was). Considering it was the first year for halls to have wireless capability, it was really good. It's just going to keep getting better and better each year.

In terms of a TV, I had one with a TV license and I used it on and off, I had good signal with the aerial I bought, in the newer halls (I know Llanddwyn does anyway), in the kitchen there is a TV port which provides superb quality. The common room also provides a TV, which has a variety of channels on.

Yes, there are points where your Internet may lag, but that's expected, nothing significant though. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, I'm a Peer Guide for the University and apart of the Computer Science and Electronic Engineering department.

Thank you so much this answers everything. Xx

Quick Reply

Latest