The Student Room Group

What would you do if you were forced into a marriage?

Discuss.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Explain to my partner that it was forced and unfair. Try to work it out, if not get a divorce.
probably the only way the majority of people on TSR will get any

so they'll all rejoice
Difficult question for me to answer because by my nature there is no way this would ever happen. I'm also very capable of physically defending myself against anyone trying to intimidate me into something like this.

Trouble with this question is, by assuming that you've been forced into a marriage that means that someone has enough leverage over you to make you do it. If they have that leverage, all you can do is just get on with it. Or contact the police.
Wouldn't go through with it. It's not rocket science.
Reply 5
Original post by Lil08
Explain to my partner that it was forced and unfair. Try to work it out, if not get a divorce.

You know, it might even be possible the spouse was also forced.

Original post by Amphiprion
Difficult question for me to answer because by my nature there is no way this would ever happen. I'm also very capable of physically defending myself against anyone trying to intimidate me into something like this.

Trouble with this question is, by assuming that you've been forced into a marriage that means that someone has enough leverage over you to make you do it. If they have that leverage, all you can do is just get on with it. Or contact the police.

Most of the stories I've heard / read about regarding forced marriages were to do with emotional blackmail and while it may pressure a person, I just can't see how they'll allow themselves to be forced into marriage.

Original post by TSA
Wouldn't go through with it. It's not rocket science.

Agreed.

The majority of people on TSR would refuse to go though with it. It'd be interesting to see it from the perspective of the minority.
Original post by Reform

Agreed.

The majority of people on TSR would refuse to go though with it. It'd be interesting to see it from the perspective of the minority.

And if it was a cultural issue parents were trying to make a religious one, I'd get an imaam or sheikh involved. Someone who knows what they're talking about from a religious point of view.
Original post by Lil08

Why would you go through with it in the first place though.
Reply 8
Thing is...I wouldn't be forced into anything :\

And if I somehow were forced then I'd be forced.
Original post by Reform

Most of the stories I've heard / read about regarding forced marriages were to do with emotional blackmail and while it may pressure a person, I just can't see how they'll allow themselves to be forced into marriage.

Well often they face the ultimatum of either Marry this person OR we [the family] will disown you and kick you out. Or they could face: Marry this person OR we kill you.

When you're young with no financial security and if for example have recently been moved to a new country (potentially by the family with the intention of marrying you off) being disowned and kicked out by your family is a life shattering problem. Not to mention the emotional bully that often occurs as a result of religious/traditional beliefs in the cultures this often happens in. Some really just don't want to upset their family and do as is expected of them. It's a cultural thing.
Reply 10
Original post by TSA
Why would you go through with it in the first place though.

Oh i wouldn't..
Original post by KabulKid1
be happy cos otherwise i wouldn't be able to attract a chick and manipulate them 2 marry me

You seem like a pleasant person.

How would you manipulate someone into marrying you?
Reply 12
Make her cook daal for the rest of eternity. DW I've got three slots left :wink:

I joke I would probably be like "but mama main gay hoon" :biggrin:

In all seriousness all you need to a heart to heart convoy with parents..... At least in my case :biggrin:
Original post by Kutta
Make her cook daal for the rest of eternity. DW I've got three slots left :wink:

I joke I would probably be like "but mama main gay hoon" :biggrin:

In all seriousness all you need to a heart to heart convoy with parents..... At least in my case :biggrin:

Hahahah that was funny :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do like any sane person would do and call the police. Forced marriage is not OK in the UK and nor will it be tolerated.
I'll try and talk to my parents and if that fails then I'll call the police
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Do like any sane person would do and call the police. Forced marriage is not OK in the UK and nor will it be tolerated.

But what if they ship you to pakistan on holiday and you find out while on holiday you are going to be arranged married to some guy you dont even know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
But what if they ship you to pakistan on holiday and you find out while on holiday you are going to be arranged married to some guy you dont even know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure how that would happen to me as a white chick born (well, not born, but close enough) and bred in the UK with no familial ties to Pakistan whatsoever.

However, in that case I'd try to contact my embassy or the airport security if I was coming back home.
Ask her if she wants protection too, ring the Police, file for annulment, in that order.
Forced Marriages and anybody associated with them are a disgrace. Wouldn't go through with it, call the police, run away from the community, start a new life, all better options. There is no excuse. Don't agree to go to any other countries either.

Quick Reply

Latest